E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Gearbox lever rattle. Is it worth replacing?

10-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Question Gearbox lever rattle. Is it worth replacing?

I have a strange harmonic vibration between 5000-6000 RPM. It could be reproduced each time without fail. The dealer has identified this as a gearbox lever rattle on my automatic transmission. The dog leg vibrating is not visible so the rattle is taking place beneath.

It can be covered under warranty... at the cost of the £250 excess... but... is it worth replacing?

The Tech. is confident that it is just a rattle and that is all it is...

However, I have not heard this until recently... the car is 2007... the noise started a few months ago. To me... rattle means... loose, broken, about to give way, watch out Jim she is going to blow!

Cannot seem to find anything online pointing toward this being "normal" or a "common issue" in the words of the Tech.

Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 10-31-2016 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0