E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Ista-d_2.36_ista-p_2.5.40

11-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #45
BicLighter
Rep
Drives: '78 2002

I am stuck on a problem that seems really simple to me, yet I am out of ideas to troubleshoot. Simply can not ping a physical iCom (genuine or clone) from inside the VM, even though I can from host OS get to the http://169.254.92.38:60080 firmware UI.

Can I get step by step directions related to the three network adapters, and how to get the VM to communicate with a genuine iCom and a Chinese clone iCom?
for each Virtual Adapter
Quote:
IP
network
gateway
and for physical host
Quote:
IP
network
gateway
The genuine iCom will not respond to anything, in either this VM or an older VM, or in host OSl. Either the iCom or my brain is fried.

Clone was updated to correct firmware in host, no problems.

I try iTool Radar, command line net and ipconfig options, workshop manager, etc. I tried to manually change the IP using the usb stick into the iCOM
the method that starts with:
Quote:
1. Put this on blank txt file called "user.settings"

ConnectionMode = STATIC_IP
Ip = 192.168.68.85
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.68.99
I am not sure what to name that file,
online it seems I should use user.settings.txt but my experience says it should be user.settings.ini ... neither worked. Unit never had red lights, so never updated.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: UPDATE November 12 2013:
The Windows 8.1 updater BROKE the VMware virtual Ethernet drivers, you have to do a repair install of the VMware Workstation using the same VMware installation file you installed it with originally. INstallation file Has to be in same dirve and directory location too. i.e. if you first installed from U:\VMWareTools , you can not reconnect network drive as X:\VMWaretools

After figuring that out, I fixed all my problems up to the point where I do not understand how to edit those 4 files. Do I just rename them, or do I truly edit them, replacing the LAN MAC and S/N in all locations?

Last edited by BicLighter; 11-11-2013 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: update due to windows 8.1 breaking VMWare
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #46
BicLighter
Rep

Quote:
Assuming its a clone
You need to register it. You can do it by editing some XML files:

They are in total 4 files you need to create and 1 you need to edit;

Create (XXXXXXX is the serial number) if not created. If already created - edit them with your ICOM serial.

1) p:\apps\wsm\apps\manager\data\DeviceInventory-ICOMXXXXXXX.xml
2) p:\apps\wsm\apps\manager\data\UnitRegistration-ICOMXXXXXXX.xml
3) p:\apps\wsm\apps\agent\data\DeviceInventory-ICOMXXXXXXX.xml
4) p:\apps\wsm\apps\agent\data\UnitRegistration-ICOMXXXXXXX.xml

Edit (just add your icom based on the other one)

1) p:\apps\wsm\apps\manager\data\PXEBootDevices.xml

Or maybe try ITOOLSRADAR attached - change txt to rar.
You had your 4 files already in the VM, I copied the files, then edited them, so I have both your original files and my new files side by side. Does this work? Does it work with a genuine iCOM ... i.e. editing the MAC addy and S/N inside those files.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #47
kelvinbus
Rep
Drives: e90 323

i using ISTA-D_2.36_ISTA-P_2.50.4 why it show.help me please
Windows XP does not include drivers for the BusLogic SCSI adapter that VMware Workstation uses for virtual SCSI devices.
To use these virtual SCSI devices, install the VMware driver in the virtual machine. Download the driver from "http://vmware.com/info?id=43".
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #48
hamfei
Rep
Drives: 2012 E90

Search for QJE PS30SWIV 30 Amp Switching Power Supply with Digital Volt/Amp Meter
It works really good for me with 30A output (enough for coding)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #49
BicLighter
Rep

How do I add a genuine iCOM to this VM?
Genuine iCOM has been flashed to the 3.10.42 firmware.
iCOM is seen in iTool Radar inside VM.
I can not get WSM to see the iCOM,
last step is to edit those files, but is there a difference between editing 4 files and change name of fifth if genuine or clone iCOM?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #50
royal86
Rep
Drives: E90

Hello,

How do you enter admin accound instead of jumpgate/What's the password.I want to take out the printerd files.Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I'm my build, Jumpgate is admin
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #52
BicLighter
Rep

Sensible, this is a superb build.
I have everything up and running but am stuck on one point. It's more of a VMware workstation question than the build.

Currently I have to use a router between my notebook and the iCOM. I really need to eliminate the router so I can use this in places without power outlet available.

How do I connect the iCOM directly to the notebook Ethernet port and have ISTA find the iCOM's IP?

EDIT: I am under the impression that the iCOM must be in DHCP mode and NOT in STATIC IP mode for ISTA to work. is this correct?

Last edited by BicLighter; 11-18-2013 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #53
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Haven't been keeping up with this as INPA been working good for me, but what do you need hardware wise, a hardware emulator (where can I get this?) and a DCAN cable?

What is this snapshot method nate5ks is talking about?

" Of course you need an ICOM EMU dongle to use it, unless you want to replace the files with the free version"
Not sure what this means either

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #54
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

BicLighter,

The VM has 3 network adapters.

The first 1 is eth0, second eth1, third eth2.

eth0 is the ISID net adapter with correct MAC address. Make sure this is connected when you power on VM.

eth0 is ICOM emulator - you'd don't need this. Make sure it's disconnected.

eth1 is a bridged connection and should be used when connecting ICOM.

Make sure the adapters are configured correctly in the 'Virtual Network Editor' in workstation.

Once ISID has booted and all icons are loaded - plug in icom to computer port and connect it to car. Wait 2 mins. Then, turn off eth0 for ISID, and turn on eth2 for a bridged connection so ISTA can find ICOM. Wait 2 mins. Start ISTA and if your ICOM is registered correctly it should be available for selection in connection manager.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #55
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489
Haven't been keeping up with this as INPA been working good for me, but what do you need hardware wise, a hardware emulator (where can I get this?) and a DCAN cable?

What is this snapshot method nate5ks is talking about?

" Of course you need an ICOM EMU dongle to use it, unless you want to replace the files with the free version"
Not sure what this means either

Thanks again
Index1489,

ISTA can be used with:

DCAN cable
OPS unit
ENET cable
ICOM clone
ICOM original

For DCAN, OPS and ENET you need to use an ICOM emulator. The emulator software is included in my VM but it requires a USB hardware key. However, there is a free cracked version which you can replace the USB one with, if you can find it. You can use a snapshot version also which is a seperate VM if you play with the network settings.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #56
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

D-CAN(w/ ICOM Emulator) vs ICOM

In another forum, some experienced folks mentioned that although a D-CAN cable(w/ ICOM Emulator) is fine with ISTA-D, they strongly advised against the use of a D-CAN cable for flash programming of ECUs using ISTA-P, suggesting that the (software based) ICOM Emulator cannot reliably handle processing
as a hardware ICOM unit can, possibly resulting in damage to certain modules. When I asked for specific details regarding what/how the D-CAN cable(i.e. a good one from One Stop Electronics) used with an ICOM Emulator lacks technically, no one answered(or perhaps were not able to).

Does anyone have insight into such matter? Simply put, what is it about the ICOM(original or clone) that is so superior in terms of reliability, that makes a D-CAN cable used with an ICOM emulator 'unreliable' for flash programming with ISTA-P?
Perhaps its not true?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #57
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
In another forum, some experienced folks mentioned that although a D-CAN cable(w/ ICOM Emulator) is fine with ISTA-D, they strongly advised against the use of a D-CAN cable for flash programming of ECUs using ISTA-P, suggesting that the (software based) ICOM Emulator cannot reliably handle processing
as a hardware ICOM unit can, possibly resulting in damage to certain modules. When I asked for specific details regarding what/how the D-CAN cable(i.e. a good one from One Stop Electronics) used with an ICOM Emulator lacks technically, no one answered(or perhaps were not able to).

Does anyone have insight into such matter? Simply put, what is it about the ICOM(original or clone) that is so superior in terms of reliability, that makes a D-CAN cable used with an ICOM emulator 'unreliable' for flash programming with ISTA-P?
Perhaps its not true?
I believe the issue is that with ICOM Emulator, it cannot Program any ECU's on the MOST Bus.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #58
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I believe the issue is that with ICOM Emulator, it cannot Program any ECU's on the MOST Bus.
Yes, that is unfortunate. But it is possible to enable 'Expert Mode'(not the XP feature) in ISTA-P, by replacing a certain XML file(or entries therein)* allowing for disabling programming of individual modules - such as those that are on the MOST Bus, essentially allowing for individual module programming.
*apps > ista-p > BMW > Client > layout > maskcontent > NewSessionServerMode.xml

I have not yet tried flashing modules personally, for my car is not in need of flashing, although the I-Level is equivalent to daten version 46.X(March 2012), becuase I have not been able to get solid confirmation from experience whether this alternate method involving multiple 'work-arounds'* can be pulled off(also because my understanding is that it's a good idea to have all ECUs at the same I-Level). But I'd like to have a better understanding.
*Multiple 'work arounds':
1. Using ICOM Emulator + D-CAN cable(One Stop Electronics)
2. ISTA-P with 'Expert Mode' enabled via modified 'NewSessionServerMode.xml'

So far there has been only one confirmation that it is 'possible', but that confirmation was followed with a negative suggestion for 'good luck'(suggesting that an unspecific 'something' may go wrong while flashing). I'm trying to get some objective technical confirmation of whether it can be done reliably or not.

I've been able to access information from all ECUs, other than those on the MOST bus(RAD2 in my case), using the D-CAN + ICOM Emulator with ISTA-P, just haven't gone ahead with any flashing yet, so I know communication is possible.

Last edited by tinkerman; 11-19-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #59
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It almost makes sense just to buy a ICOM clone, I mean its barley more expensive then a BT Tool, I was looking at them a long time ago they were in the $600 range.

One dealer visit you don't have to make and it pays for itself.

Thank you very much for your response Sensible should help others who are looking at this thread too.

" requires a USB hardware key. However, there is a free cracked version which you can replace the USB one with, "

Is the hardware usb key official? Can't be right, what makes people use the other 2 methods (cracked usb key, snapshot) is it expensive?

When you say free cracked version (usb key) are you talking about another piece of hardware or some software method to trick it?

Thanks

Last edited by RemovedUser; 11-19-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #60
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
It almost makes sense just to buy a ICOM clone, I mean its barley more expensive then a BT Tool, I was looking at them a long time ago they were in the $600 range.

One dealer visit you don't have to make and it pays for itself.
Yeah, I fully agree. I will eventually get an ICOM for sure, and hope that the price will drop further. I also need to get a power supply such as a Schumacher INC-700A(but Amazon can't ship outside the US - %#@!). Hence, these expenses add up(easily more than $1,000 for me with import taxes, VAT etc. which is not a whole lot but not pocket change either) so I'm hoping that time will bring down the costs some more. In the mean time it would be nice to learn more about various tools/alternate methods etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #61
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Guys,

I cannot say for everyone but I have completed a full program update using ISTA P and DCAN via Icom Emulator with no problems.

The key thing for me is getting a quality cable, fast computers uaf core / 12gb ram at least and most importantly a stable power supply.

Having said that, I have OPS unit and an ICOM which I prefer.

Just quickly, for those with OPS unit - older versions of ISTA P supported OPS natively without the need for an emulator. ISTA D does not support OPS and requires an emulator

People have been slating DCAN cable for years. It was the same as DCAN vs OPS and now it's DCAN vs ICOM. My bet is those people who experience dead modules with DCAN are not using a correct power supply.

index1489;

The emulator is a java based piece of code that emulates ICOM firmware. The original 'official' (sort of) used a USB for protection. This is the version I have, so that is the version I patched into my latest VM. There is a cracked version of the emulator about that negates the need for the USB. I don't have this unfortunately, otherwise I'd install it in my VM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #62
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Guys,

I cannot say for everyone but I have completed a full program update using ISTA P and DCAN via Icom Emulator with no problems.

The key thing for me is getting a quality cable, fast computers uaf core / 12gb ram at least and most importantly a stable power supply.

Having said that, I have OPS unit and an ICOM which I prefer.
Thanks for the confirmation that D-CAN & ICOM Emulator worked with ISTA-P.

Just a few questions:
1. What do you mean by, "fast computers uaf core"?
2. "12GB RAM at least" - is this much RAM really necessary for ISTA-P to flash program reliably? (I have a maximum 4GB on my MacBook Air / Windows 7 setup)
3. Any plans for another updated ISID with ISTA-D version updated to 3.XX(38-40+) etc.?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #63
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Tinkerman,

1. Sorry, predictive text typo. Should read 'dual core'

2. I have tried loads of ram configurations. I find a host system with 12gb ram can allocate 4gb ram ram to the guest virtual machine and still perform well. Virtual machine are very ram and CPU intensive.

Yes, when I get time I'll start on rheingold
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #64
alexopth1512
Rep
Drives: e92

This is best ISIS - ISID thread I have seen.
I have found that practically no more than 8,2 GB is used by this VMWare client.
I have all VMs running on one home "PC", 8 core i7, 16GB RAM in total.
I have separate ISSS, ISIS server, ISID machines and they run perfectly

BTW. I have downloaded this vm image, not tested yet, but i ll still feed it

Last edited by alexopth1512; 11-20-2013 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #65
B12
Rep
Drives: ALPINA B12 5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I have tried loads of ram configurations. I find a host system with 12gb ram can allocate 4gb ram ram to the guest virtual machine and still perform well. Virtual machine are very ram and CPU intensive. Yes, when I get time I'll start on rheingold
I tested a lot of configurations too and at least the 4GB RAM was the deal. If I looked into the "Open System" I found that it is a 32bit system, so more than 4GB could not allocated, because of the memory remap.

I am using a i7 and 16GB RAM, but to speed up the VMware I give the Notebook a Samsung EVO drive with the Rapid I/O function enabled.

About the constant Power Supply I am using a Deutronic DBL1000 it is easy to use and was prefered by BMW. Total current 90 Amp. , but this charger is now discontinued.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #66
alexopth1512
Rep
Drives: e92

ISID is XP based so upto 4GB is OK. ISIS server is windows 2003 server 32-bit and can use more than 4 GB. I usually give 8,5 GB
Appreciate 0