E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alarm retrofit kit for MY 2009 3/09+ and 2010 - yes it exists!

05-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #45
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post

srcstc, back to the mirror question. Is the only use of the mirror the clown nose? If so, could an LED be installed (mirror base?) and the wires run to a simply blue or red LED without having to replace the whole mirror?
That might be possible.

Quote:
Hey CRS,

According to BMW Canada, the kit is not available so I would have to order it from the US and get someone locally to do it.
It's only available overseas. You'd have to order it from http://stores.ebay.com/ROVERACTIVE or http://www.ecstuning.com/
I got it from roveractive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200454421412

Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #46
CRS
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i

Quote:
Hey CRS,

So far, haven't taken that step. According to BMW Canada, the kit is not available so I would have to order it from the US and get someone locally to do it. I've asked my dealer and am waiting to hear (BMW Store) but I doubt they'll be much help given recent experience.

Was thinking of asking another dealer or someone like NSAV or Ralph's if they'd do it.

srcstc, back to the mirror question. Is the only use of the mirror the clown nose? If so, could an LED be installed (mirror base?) and the wires run to a simply blue or red LED without having to replace the whole mirror?
The response I get from BMW Canada is to contact the Service Managers because they are not technically trained.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #47
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Well ... the good news is that my dealer finally bothered to respond. The bad news is the first response completely ignored the question (which was ... could they install the retrofit kit and at what cost).

Quote:
I had a chance to look into this situation and have found that yes, an alarm can be installed. However, it is very expensive to perform the retrofit as they are not pre-wired or pre-fit with many of the necessary parts. We are looking at roughly $1200 in labour and $3000 in parts and then of course taxes so were looking at just under $5000 to install the option.
So ... I replied with specifics about the kit (including that I could provide it at about $400) and would they do the install and that I wasn't buying $1200 in labour for 5 hours).

The next reply simply set me off:
Quote:
The short answer to your customers question is no, we would not be able to install an alarm if all we are provided is a kit obtained through someone other than BMW Canada. Based on the documentation provided by your customer, there are a number of parts required that are not included as part of the kit, such as the roof lining, rear view mirror, and ceiling light. Due to the way the vehicle is assembled all of these parts are required as the vehicle is not pre-prepared to accept an alarm configuration. This is the reason why the parts cost is so high, and the 5 hour labour time listed on the documentation is a guideline which does not include programming the vehicle. Programming the vehicle adds a minimum of 2 hours additional time and giving some additional room for issues which may arise I based the $1200 quote on around 8 hours labour at $143.94. We would not be able to complete the install if we are only provided the basic kit, and if the parts are not purchased from BMW Canada, I will be unable to obtain the necessary coding to actually program the vehicle to work with an alarm as the basic software in the vehicle has to be modified by the manufacturer.
Mostly because it's factually incorrect (esp. about headliner and ceiling light as I have an E90).

So ... I've solved one dilemma ... it's time to find a better dealer, but I'm pretty much resigned to self-install if I can find someone willing to do the programming.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #48
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Any Autologic shops in CA?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #49
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

At least one I know of that has a decent rep (Nixon Automotive). I take it that they can do the programming through Autologic?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
Northern335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xdrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Finally DONE! What a PITA too. Just have to get it activated. I've got Mirror LED and the alarm goes off if you open the door. No chirp or motion sensor yet (till it's activated.)
Could you get in touch with me about your install process? I'm about to do this and have some questions after reviewing the instructions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #51
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern335i View Post
Could you get in touch with me about your install process? I'm about to do this and have some questions after reviewing the instructions. Thanks!
srcstc PM inbox is full...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #52
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern335i View Post
Sure. Pm me.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #53
ERIK430i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive w/ M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I'm doing this retrofit now. Already got the headliner portion out of the way. A couple observations...

- if you have this type of cover, with the slits for the motion sensor, then you don't need a new headiner like the BMW instructions dictate:

Even if your cover doesn't have the slits you can simply order a cover with slits.

- The headliner does not need to be removed! This cuts down on the time a lot. You just need to drop it down a few inches to run your wires. I only removed the passenger visor (2 screws), the catch for the visor (1 screw), the passenger grab handle(2 screws), the rubber/headliner moonroof trim (just pull) and the passenger A-Pillar cover (1 screw hidden behind the plastic SRS cap.) And obviously the moonroof switch panel and the panel behind the moonroof. I was then able to lower the headliner enough to run the wire. You can see that there is already a wire glued to the headliner going back there for the light. Just follow the same path for the motion sensor wiring.

- I have premium package and my car came with the correct mirror for alarm. I just had to add the 2 wires to the mirror connector as per the official instructions. That was easy.

- Right now I'm at the stage of the install where I have to add a wire to the back of the junction box (JBE). This is the hardest part of the install because the 4 screws holding it in are hard to reach. Once I'm done with this, the rest should be a walk in the park.
I received my OEM Alarm retrofit kit from Germany last week for my 2010 E90 LCI (9/2009). The part number of the kit changed according to BMW Germany from 65-12-0-399-635 to 65-12-2-167-738. I attached the pdf if anyone is interested. I paid $310 shipped from Schmiedmann.com in Denmark. It took them five business days to get it from BMW and they then overnighted it to me using DHL.

I started the install this past Saturday and noticed after pulling down the headliner cover that it does not have the slits. So I have placed an order through Schmiedmann for this. My local BMW parts department is charging three times more than what I can get it from Schmiedmann's shipped.

My question is about my interior rear mirror. I have the Premium Package and the mirror has the compass, garage opener and auto dimmer. The clown nose on the mirror is a lot smaller than those I've see on this forum.

Without having to take the mirror off I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a redesign or if this will not work with the alarm?

Typical online clown nose:

This is the clown nose on my car:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf pvmMqx.pdf (1.03 MB, 952 views)

Last edited by ERIK430i; 02-21-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #54
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep

I think mine is also small like the one on the bottom. It's very easy to pop off the mirror and check that the plug has all the right wires.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #55
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 323i

Quote:
I'm doing this retrofit now. Already got the headliner portion out of the way. A couple observations...

- if you have this type of cover, with the slits for the motion sensor, then you don't need a new headiner like the BMW instructions dictate:

Even if your cover doesn't have the slits you can simply order a cover with slits.

- The headliner does not need to be removed! This cuts down on the time a lot. You just need to drop it down a few inches to run your wires. I only removed the passenger visor (2 screws), the catch for the visor (1 screw), the passenger grab handle(2 screws), the rubber/headliner moonroof trim (just pull) and the passenger A-Pillar cover (1 screw hidden behind the plastic SRS cap.) And obviously the moonroof switch panel and the panel behind the moonroof. I was then able to lower the headliner enough to run the wire. You can see that there is already a wire glued to the headliner going back there for the light. Just follow the same path for the motion sensor wiring.

- I have premium package and my car came with the correct mirror for alarm. I just had to add the 2 wires to the mirror connector as per the official instructions. That was easy.

- Right now I'm at the stage of the install where I have to add a wire to the back of the junction box (JBE). This is the hardest part of the install because the 4 screws holding it in are hard to reach. Once I'm done with this, the rest should be a walk in the park.
Please keep us updated! I want to do this too. I just have a couple questions.

1. You have a 2010, so you are NOT-prewired, right?
2. I have the basic mirror, Am I ok?
3. Do you have the P/N of any extra parts not included in the kit?

Thank you so much. Good luck with your install!
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof

Last edited by carrot; 02-21-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #56
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Please keep us updated! I want to do this too. I just have a couple questions.

1. You have a 2010, so you are NOT-prewired, right?
2. I have the basic mirror, Am I ok?
3. Do you have the P/N of any extra parts not included in the kit?

Thank you so much. Good luck with your install!
I can answer these.

1) correct
2) If you don't have premium package then you'll most likely need to buy a mirror also.
3) If you don't have comfort access then you have to buy an additional part I believe. It's covered in the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #57
ERIK430i
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My 2010 335i E90 LCI came with Premium package and Comfort Access, no prewire.

My mirror has autodim, compass and Universal Remote Control. I was able to verify the part number on my mirror (Part no. 51-16-9-192-321). It looks like BMW made the clown nose smaller.

My motion sensor cover doesn't have the slits so I had to replace the whole unit. The cover is attached to the rear reading light fixture and is one part and doesn't come separate. Part no 61-31-9-201-645 is for alarm motion sensor cover and lighting option (black).

I will be getting the cover this Friday and will start the installation on Saturday. Wish me luck.

Last edited by ERIK430i; 02-23-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #58
ERIK430i
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Finally finished the install. I just need to get it activated. An indy shop here in Phoenix will do it for $49.

This install was very time consuming and frustrating. A big PITA. If I had to do it over again I would pass on it.

The back of the fuse panel on my 2010 is different than what is in the instructions. I had an indy bmw shop wire this for me since the location on the instructions didn't exist. The rest was pretty easy, just time consuming.

If anyone is doing this install I can show you where to plug in the alarm cable if needed. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #59
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

bump for any new opinions on the topic? I'm between retrofitting the alarm and going the remoteKey+ option right now and I cannot design.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #60
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

I printed off the instructions and took them to a few local shops. They all said it was too much of a hassle. In the end it will probably be cheaper to do remoteKey.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #61
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
I printed off the instructions and took them to a few local shops. They all said it was too much of a hassle. In the end it will probably be cheaper to do remoteKey.
I was planning on attempting the install myself. I've done audio installs and other light electrical work in the past. I know it's time consuming but I think I can handle the actual work.

I'm also considering an aftermarket alarm with remote start. I've had it on several past cars and kinda miss it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #62
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
I was planning on attempting the install myself. I've done audio installs and other light electrical work in the past. I know it's time consuming but I think I can handle the actual work. [/QUOTE]

I'm interested in doing this to my car as well just want to know what it's gonna consist of and if I should attempt at it myself. I have a '10 E90 w/comfort and Premium. Where did you find the instructions for the non Pre wired cars.
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #63
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStR StEvO View Post

I'm interested in doing this to my car as well just want to know what it's gonna consist of and if I should attempt at it myself. I have a '10 E90 w/comfort and Premium. Where did you find the instructions for the non Pre wired cars.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/attachm...3&d=1257962846
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #64
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Looks to be pretty extensive!
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #65
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStR StEvO View Post
Looks to be pretty extensive!
Sure is. And some people have posted the their actual car did not exactly match the instructions, so they had to improvise. Cars without CA are even more difficult.

You have to REALLY want the alarm to dive into this retrofit project.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #66
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

screw it i'm gonna go aftermarket w/2way pager and remote start.

dont feel like dealing with this lol
Appreciate 0