E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Full working NBT Evo ID6 Retrofit? Incl. telematics/ConnectedDrive?

03-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Felix_928
Rep
Drives: E93 330d 2007

Full working NBT Evo ID6 Retrofit? Incl. telematics/ConnectedDrive?

Hey guys,
just wondering if anybody around has a full working NBT Evo ID6 retrofit? Including the whole telematics and subscription-based ConnectedDrive thing?
I got several quotes from bimmerretrofit etc. but none of them include ConnectedDrive. But those services are the main reason for me to retrofit an NBT. Is there any possibility? Would having a telematics module from a donor vehicle an option?
It's not really a matter of price to be, more the fact I don't want a half-working project in my car.
If not, could somebody please explain to why this won't work?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

You don't get connected drive services in retrofited ID5/6.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_928 View Post
Hey guys,
just wondering if anybody around has a full working NBT Evo ID6 retrofit? Including the whole telematics and subscription-based ConnectedDrive thing?
I got several quotes from bimmerretrofit etc. but none of them include ConnectedDrive. But those services are the main reason for me to retrofit an NBT. Is there any possibility? Would having a telematics module from a donor vehicle an option?
It's not really a matter of price to be, more the fact I don't want a half-working project in my car.
If not, could somebody please explain to why this won't work?
Thanks in advance!
I've retrofitted telematics into a 2007 E93, with NBT, and a TCB, and got everything to work - all the services work, and I was even able to add concierge service.

I don't know if NBT Evo with a ATM works the same, but I suppose that it would. I'll describe what I did.

I used an adapter from Custom Retrofit Garage. It in effect acts as the k-Can1 <-> K-Can2 gateway. The TCB goes where the TCU was, and the only wires I had to run were a FAKRA to the NBT for IP (the ATM does not use FAKRA - you would need to run seperate wires to the EVO, probably twisted pairs), and 3 wires for the MIC, and one twisted pair for K-Can2. Tapped the K-Can2 into K-Can2 at the adapter, and ran MIC to NBT MIC1. All other needed wires were available from existing TCU connection. It was actually very easy.

The TCB I purchased off of Ebay was from a 2016 BMW that had services until 2020. I acquired a FSC repair kit for the TCB donor, and updated the NBT with it. If the NBT FSC's are older than the TCB donor's it's very easy, otherwise you have additional step of viginizing the NBT. So, when done, both the NBT and TCB were using the same VIN as the TCB donor. I was then able to create a ConnectedDrive account with BMW, and register my car.

I don't know why EVO/ATM would be different, so it 'should' work the same.

The only issues I have are, 1) the adapter I have stops transferring K-Can messages as soon as the car goes to sleep, so remote services are not working. I've talked to them, and they are talking about making a firmware version that will continue to gateway messages from K-Can2 to K-Can1, and if they do, then remote services should work. If they don't, I will probably build a simple bridge myself. The only other 'issue' I have, is that I sometimes get a 'SOS Malfunction' message. The SOS button still works, the error has to do with the crash signal. The error is sporadic, and I think it has to do with differences between how often the signal is sent out. I haven't addressed that issue yet.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      03-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Felix_928
Rep
Drives: E93 330d 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
I've retrofitted telematics into a 2007 E93, with NBT, and a TCB, and got everything to work - all the services work, and I was even able to add concierge service.

I don't know if NBT Evo with a ATM works the same, but I suppose that it would. I'll describe what I did.

I used an adapter from Custom Retrofit Garage. It in effect acts as the k-Can1 <-> K-Can2 gateway. The TCB goes where the TCU was, and the only wires I had to run were a FAKRA to the NBT for IP (the ATM does not use FAKRA - you would need to run seperate wires to the EVO, probably twisted pairs), and 3 wires for the MIC, and one twisted pair for K-Can2. Tapped the K-Can2 into K-Can2 at the adapter, and ran MIC to NBT MIC1. All other needed wires were available from existing TCU connection. It was actually very easy.

The TCB I purchased off of Ebay was from a 2016 BMW that had services until 2020. I acquired a FSC repair kit for the TCB donor, and updated the NBT with it. If the NBT FSC's are older than the TCB donor's it's very easy, otherwise you have additional step of viginizing the NBT. So, when done, both the NBT and TCB were using the same VIN as the TCB donor. I was then able to create a ConnectedDrive account with BMW, and register my car.

I don't know why EVO/ATM would be different, so it 'should' work the same.

The only issues I have are, 1) the adapter I have stops transferring K-Can messages as soon as the car goes to sleep, so remote services are not working. I've talked to them, and they are talking about making a firmware version that will continue to gateway messages from K-Can2 to K-Can1, and if they do, then remote services should work. If they don't, I will probably build a simple bridge myself. The only other 'issue' I have, is that I sometimes get a 'SOS Malfunction' message. The SOS button still works, the error has to do with the crash signal. The error is sporadic, and I think it has to do with differences between how often the signal is sent out. I haven't addressed that issue yet.

Well, thats an answer I was hoping for. I'll continue to do some research on wether this works with an Evo as well. Otherwise the a fully functional NBT might be a nice option as well
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Sorry to necro this...
Did you have any luck with EVO/ATM?
I've ordered an evo + atm... not sure if an FSC repair kit exists in evo-land though
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I've upgrade my E93 from NBT/TCB to EVO/ATM. If the EVO and ATM came from the same car, you are good to go with an emulator. If they are not, you will need to get an FSC kit for the ATM donor VIN. The USB FSC kits work well, but from what I've heard, they newest firmware kills the USB FSC process, so if you go the USB route, I would not flash it to the newest firmware.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Did you make your own oabr cable to run from the ATM to the nbt? Do you need to put +12 (with a 1k resistor?) on a certain pin to enable the oabr port to talk to the ATM?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Did you make your own oabr cable to run from the ATM to the nbt? Do you need to put +12 (with a 1k resistor?) on a certain pin to enable the oabr port to talk to the ATM?

Thanks!
No you do not need a resistor.

My car originally came with a TCU/MULF2 so I mounted the ATM in the TCU bracket. I used a shielded cat6 cable to carry the required connections. I used 1 pair for Kcan2, 1 pair for MIC +/-, 1 pair for Ethernet RX+/RX- and 1 pair for the MIC and Ethernet shields. All the other required connections were transferred from the TCU/MULF2 connectors.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50