E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > lost messages option and ability to email my car!

07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
tri335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe

lost messages option and ability to email my car!

Just a quick question...probably has an easy answer. For the last 4 years I was able to use google maps (on computer) to message my e92 navigation different addresses This was super nice to do and made driving around very easy without having to plug in the address in my GPS letter by letter/number.

A few days ago this disappeared. What happened? I can't even find the option or list of "messages" in my navigation any more.

Thanks in advance guys!

jon
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
aquajon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Your 4 years of free BMW assist just expired, as did your warranty, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajon View Post
Doh! Trust me, you won't miss the $200/year you need to pay BMW assist to use your lazy ass fingers to punch in a few characters via idrive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
tri335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe

ack totally forgot that that was part of the package! 200 bucks a year! that's nuts...saving up for a roof rack for my bikes!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajon View Post
4 years? Holy crap, we get 1 year up here in Canuckistan.
      07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
4 years? Holy crap, we get 1 year up here in Canuckistan.
Probably because BMW had to pay Rogers/Robbers up there for the data.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige View Post
Probably because BMW had to pay Rogers/Robbers up there for the data.
Probably a combination of that and Canadians getting hosed at every opportunity.
      07-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Probably a combination of that and Canadians getting hosed at every opportunity.
It's called "country pricing". Expect to pay 10 to 50 percent more here in Canada for the same item sold in the USA. The only reason for it is because we sit idle and let it happen. It's the same deal with buying a car here. It's because "we are accustomed to it". I buy a lot of stuff online from the States. Shipping costs are way lower and in many cases free to any of the 48 contiguous states. Fortunately I live close to the border and I just drive over and pick them up. I save an absolute bundle.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

Theres costs associated with selling things to a much smaller market. The obvious one is transportation costs. Beyond that, theres a lot of different localization changes they have to make to a product (language, required labels, packaging, etc).

In the case of the services like BMW Assist, they probably have to have full-time operators with local expertise as well as operators that can speak French to support Quebec.

Its not just price gouging, they have to maintain their margins to make selling things to Canada worthwhile. I'm much more frustrated when they don't sell to Canada at all!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige View Post
Theres costs associated with selling things to a much smaller market. The obvious one is transportation costs. Beyond that, theres a lot of different localization changes they have to make to a product (language, required labels, packaging, etc).

In the case of the services like BMW Assist, they probably have to have full-time operators with local expertise as well as operators that can speak French to support Quebec.

Its not just price gouging, they have to maintain their margins to make selling things to Canada worthwhile. I'm much more frustrated when they don't sell to Canada at all!
A 5 to10% markup would be justifiable to cover all those costs you've mentioned. Anything beyond that is BS and is out and out gouging. Our small retailers complain to the manufacturers who in return will threaten by saying well if you don't like the price then don't carry the product. Walmart is the only retailer in Canada that is making an conscious effort to keep the manufacturer's pricing differences within reason and I don't see them going out of business for lack of suppliers.
Appreciate 0