E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Error code P0440 ?

09-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Error code P0440 ?

Just the other day I had an error code that sent a CEL on active, I scanned the code with an OBD2 reset/scan tool and it said code P0440. When I looked it up in the manual, it said malfunction with the evaporate emissions system. My question is what could that be? Is it major or could it have been a gas cap malfunction? I was able to reset the code and erase it and it never reappeared. (Its been about 1 week) I just wanted to make sure that nothing was wrong with it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

There's an electric pump that pressure tests the system for leaks whenever the car "wakes up". You may hear it cycle quickly when you open the door first thing in the morning.

I believe I posted a pic of this pump at one point. It's located inside the passenger side rear wheel well under the plastic shield. Its called a DTML Pump. Worth about $100 and takes about an hour start to finish. Easy job.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260065

If its not a loose gas cap this would be my bet.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbet01 View Post
There's an electric pump that pressure tests the system for leaks whenever the car "wakes up". You may hear it cycle quickly when you open the door first thing in the morning.

I believe I posted a pic of this pump at one point. It's located inside the passenger side rear wheel well under the plastic shield. Its called a DTML Pump. Worth about $100 and takes about an hour start to finish. Easy job.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260065

If its not a loose gas cap this would be my bet.
Thank you, but do you think that this would send an emissions code?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

If it fails? Of course. There are a few threads here where people have seen them fail. It throws a check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Sometimes that code is thrown for the simple fact that the gas cap has not been put back on correctly as you surmised.

Take off cap, put back on and give it a couple 'clicks' see if the problem goes away. It could also be that the cap is bad & needs replaced.

I always start with the least expensive/involved items on the diagnostic tree before moving on to the more $$

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 09-24-2012 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbet01 View Post
If it fails? Of course. There are a few threads here where people have seen them fail. It throws a check engine light.
That's actually pretty weird though? But thanks, ill look into it this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Sometimes that code is thrown for the simple fact that the gas cap has not been put back on correctly as you surmised.

Take off cap, put back on and give it a couple 'clicks' see if the problem goes away. It could also be that the cap is bad & needs replaced.

I always start with the least expensive/involved items on the diagnostic tree before moving on to the more $$
I think it was the gas cap? But the thing is, I filled up the tank about 5 days prior to the problem and haven't touched it since? any clue why it'd go off? Do our gas caps untighted themselves ?! O.o
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

I had the same problem and ppl kept saying its the gas cap but when I replaced it the light when back on after 10min of driving. Then after researching more I found out it was the vapor sensor which is common to going out on bmw's. I did a DIY on this forum on how to replace it. Cost can be about 200+ at the dealer to diagnose. I'm pretty sure that's what's throwing the code.
Appreciate 0