E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

09-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #1431
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Hi George:

I take really good care of my BMW 335i coupe (albeit it is parked outside), and am tired of trying all of the waxes and polishes out there, as none of them achieve that beloved wet shiny look [Let's see in the past I've used BMW OEM carnuba wax; Black magic "cherry" liquid wax; Eagle One nano wax; Maguiars Gold Class wax; Turtle Ice wax; Maguiars Synthetic wax; and the list goes on and on LOL!...]. For the average do-it-yourselfer like me, who doesn't have the time or money to justify a gazillion processes/steps, what is the best way to go? I know how to wash and dry a car pretty much. Is a clay bar SAFE and worth the extra effort - I can definitely feel contaminants on the surface even after washing - if so which brand/type? I have a Simoniz 10" orbital polisher (motor: 120V, 0.65 A, 60 Hz; orb/min: 2600; weight: 4 lb 10 oz or 2.07 kg) and safely?? used it on my previous 325i sedan (faster and better results than by hand I think) but given that any orbital polisher inevitably vibrates the car panels as you use it, and old-schoolers like my father recommend always doing it by hand, I am afraid to use it on my current 335i coupe. I've been told that pure carnuba wax is the best way to go (I don't see much results using it), so what is the best one- or perhaps 2-step polish/wax or sealant out there? I presume the best way to go is always a 2-step polish/sealant (lasts longer than wax?), or is there an all-in-one that's good enough? Basically I'm looking for professional results that can be achieved in 2 hours, with products that are available at major retailers at affordable prices. Any comments w/b most appreciated.

Regards,
Greg F. (gotta love the first name!)

Last edited by Cosa Nostra; 09-25-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1432
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg007 View Post
Hi George:

I take really good care of my BMW 335i coupe (albeit it is parked outside), and am tired of trying all of the waxes and polishes out there, as none of them achieve that beloved wet shiny look [Let's see in the past I've used BMW OEM carnuba wax; Black magic "cherry" liquid wax; Eagle One nano wax; Maguiars Gold Class wax; Turtle Ice wax; Maguiars Synthetic wax; and the list goes on and on LOL!...]. For the average do-it-yourselfer like me, who doesn't have the time or money to justify a gazillion processes/steps, what is the best way to go? I know how to wash and dry a car pretty much. Is a clay bar SAFE and worth the extra effort - I can definitely feel contaminants on the surface even after washing - if so which brand/type? I have a Simoniz 10" orbital polisher (motor: 120V, 0.65 A, 60 Hz; orb/min: 2600; weight: 4 lb 10 oz or 2.07 kg) and safely?? used it on my previous 325i sedan (faster and better results than by hand I think) but given that any orbital polisher inevitably vibrates the car panels as you use it, and old-schoolers like my father recommend always doing it by hand, I am afraid to use it on my current 335i coupe. I've been told that pure carnuba wax is the best way to go (I don't see much results using it), so what is the best one- or perhaps 2-step polish/wax or sealant out there? I presume the best way to go is always a 2-step polish/sealant (lasts longer than wax?), or is there an all-in-one that's good enough? Basically I'm looking for professional results that can be achieved in 2 hours, with products that are available at major retailers at affordable prices. Any comments w/b most appreciated.

Regards,
Greg F. (gotta love the first name!)
Greg,

Thank you for the message and I'd be happy to help. I understand time is often short and the detailing process has to go fast. I'll outline some of the fastest and most effective products I often use. The buffer you have most likely has a terry cloth bonnet and it's probably doing more harm than good for the surface. A wax may temporarily cover it up but they often leave a little haze of micro fine surface imperfections. I would suggest doing it by hand or saving up for a quality buffer that can utilize paint safe foam pads, assuming your buffer does not already have them.

If you want help washing faster I'd highly recommend washing with the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR), it should save you time and it's a big help in cold weather. These two kits are a great value if interested - DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR or DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Kit.

As for creating the shine I would recommend trying to do a full detail at least once a year and throughout the year just maintain the shine. If time permits I would recommend a clay bar like the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube. It's a safe and effective way to deep clean the paint.

After cleaning polishing the paint is where you really create the shine. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is an awesome light polish that can remove ultra fine swirls, oxidation, etc. to make the clear coat more optically clear. Apply it with a foam applicator and use medium pressure for best results.

Now let's enhance the shine with a sealant that will protect the paint for months to come. For the absolute fastest application I HIGHLY recommend the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Simply spray a fine mist on the supplied applicator and buff it on extremely thin and you are DONE! It dries completely clear and requires no removal, yet looks amazing and protects for months not weeks.

I understand this is a three step process but again just do all three at least once a year and the car will remain in great condition. In between you can just wash normally or with the ONR and protect it every 3+ months (or less if desired) with the Optimum Opti-Seal.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #1433
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Hi Greg,

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine gets great reviews. One of the recommended uses is to mix it with regular car wash, like the Gold Class wash.

If the No Rinse solution is made to slide off the car very easily, won't it take the soap/suds/bubbles from the wash right off not giving it time to sit on the car and pull up dirt?

Another listed use for No Rinse is as a detailing spray. I'm assuming it will remove dirt, but will it leave a shiny layer like a true detailing spray?

Thanks
      09-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #1434
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Hi Greg,

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine gets great reviews. One of the recommended uses is to mix it with regular car wash, like the Gold Class wash.

If the No Rinse solution is made to slide off the car very easily, won't it take the soap/suds/bubbles from the wash right off not giving it time to sit on the car and pull up dirt?

Another listed use for No Rinse is as a detailing spray. I'm assuming it will remove dirt, but will it leave a shiny layer like a true detailing spray?

Thanks
Yes you can mix the ONR with a shampoo if desired, but it's not a must have step. I'm personally not a fan of the Gold Class, I always seem to get a residue from it that is why I didn't pick it up for DI. However yes in general you can mix in a shampoo if desired, but now you'll want to rinse afterward. The shampoo will still help break up contaminants the ONR won't inhibit this process.

The ONR can be used as a quick detailer as well but it won't add any shine.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #1435
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Greg,

Thank you for the message and I'd be happy to help. I understand time is often short and the detailing process has to go fast. I'll outline some of the fastest and most effective products I often use. The buffer you have most likely has a terry cloth bonnet and it's probably doing more harm than good for the surface. A wax may temporarily cover it up but they often leave a little haze of micro fine surface imperfections. I would suggest doing it by hand or saving up for a quality buffer that can utilize paint safe foam pads, assuming your buffer does not already have them.

If you want help washing faster I'd highly recommend washing with the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR), it should save you time and it's a big help in cold weather. These two kits are a great value if interested - DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR or DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Kit.

As for creating the shine I would recommend trying to do a full detail at least once a year and throughout the year just maintain the shine. If time permits I would recommend a clay bar like the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube. It's a safe and effective way to deep clean the paint.

After cleaning polishing the paint is where you really create the shine. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is an awesome light polish that can remove ultra fine swirls, oxidation, etc. to make the clear coat more optically clear. Apply it with a foam applicator and use medium pressure for best results.

Now let's enhance the shine with a sealant that will protect the paint for months to come. For the absolute fastest application I HIGHLY recommend the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. Simply spray a fine mist on the supplied applicator and buff it on extremely thin and you are DONE! It dries completely clear and requires no removal, yet looks amazing and protects for months not weeks.

I understand this is a three step process but again just do all three at least once a year and the car will remain in great condition. In between you can just wash normally or with the ONR and protect it every 3+ months (or less if desired) with the Optimum Opti-Seal.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg, I'll definitely give these products a try! However, I live in Toronto, Canada, so how can I order them???

Last edited by Cosa Nostra; 10-01-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #1436
lvm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

D.I. Guys,

I just received my order from you and want to thank you for your many written pages of assistance that you have given others. I have read through your postings on this site and on your site reviewing products and techniques that I will be using. My order was received in good time and I appreciate the 10% discount! Count me as yet another loyal customer!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #1437
jjohnson085
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Stained Carpet

Hi,

Looks like some water got under the passenger side BMW floor mats and now the carpet is stained. Any recommendations on what to use to try and get the stain out or am I screwed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #1438
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson085 View Post
Hi,

Looks like some water got under the passenger side BMW floor mats and now the carpet is stained. Any recommendations on what to use to try and get the stain out or am I screwed?
I appears you have a dye transfer from the bottom of the floor mat, you will need a solvent to remove that or diminish it. Most APCs will likely set the stain so I wouldn't go that route. dedicated carpet cleaners are your best bet from carpet cleaners. IME if you try to dry steam that stain you will set it. citrus solv by bridgepoint http://interlinksupply.com/index.htm...++++++++++++++ is a good starting point. You need to test in a blind spot to see how it works first. The CS might need to be added to another solvent to help clean.

Cheers,
      11-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #1439
jmaville
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i xdrive M Sport

Garage List
How to fix a spot in my paint? A painless dent remover took out a door ding and then wet sanded the high spots...after some compound is gone but then appears? What should I do to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #1440
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaville View Post
How to fix a spot in my paint? A painless dent remover took out a door ding and then wet sanded the high spots...after some compound is gone but then appears? What should I do to fix this?
The compound must have not really fixed the situation because the results from a compound are permanent. It's possible a glaze or wax was used afterward that temporarily covered up some ultra fine imperfections. Can you take some pictures of the spot/marks and describe them in more detail? The more information I have the better I can tailor a response to your needs.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #1441
soslower82
Second Lieutenant
China
Rep
Drives: 335i

i'm looking to detail my 2009 e92. do u sell a starter kit? I already have a PC. Car has a lot of orange peel for being OEM paint. My E46 M3 didn't have this much orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #1442
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by soslower82 View Post
i'm looking to detail my 2009 e92. do u sell a starter kit? I already have a PC. Car has a lot of orange peel for being OEM paint. My E46 M3 didn't have this much orange peel.
DI Packages
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #1443
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

can I wax matte black wheels? using petes 53 wax from chemical guys
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1444
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson085 View Post
Hi,

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Carpet_a...spi_191_16.htm

most amazing product.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #1445
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
Make sure you dilute it properly. This stuff is very powerful, and very awesome
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #1446
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can't see why you couldn't. however, I would recommend using a sealant instead, a decent sealant should last a bit longer than a wax.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #1447
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep

i sealed it twice already using jet-seal 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
I can't see why you couldn't. however, I would recommend using a sealant instead, a decent sealant should last a bit longer than a wax.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #1448
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post

apparently I may be incorrect after reading you original thread. Eric definitely knows his stuff, so if he suggests that Matte requires a certain wax, he's most likely correct. Though, he didn't mention anything on Sealants.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #1449
mikechow
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I was transporting my used tires inside my car and a mini van made a hard stop on the freeway so it rolled up and marked the roof.. which product should i get to remove all those nasty black marks on my roof?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #1450
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soslower82 View Post
If you want to tackle the orange peel you'll need some extra power so I'd suggest getting the Menzerna Advanced Polish and Protection Kit. It contains several of my favorite polishes and a top quality sealant for protection and enhanced shine afterward.

Here are the pads I'd get with each polish to tackle the orange peel and really restore the paint.

Menzerna Power Gloss - Surbuf Pad
Menzerna SI 1500 - Lake Country Orange Pad
Menzerna SF 4000 - Lake Country White Pad
Menzerna SF4500 - Lake Country Blue Pad
Menzerna Power Lock - Lake Country Blue Pad (separate one from above)

If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #1451
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand you can apply a sealant or wax to most of them for protection. There are some forms of wheel protection that are supposed to help keep the matte look more which some people prefer, but I don't carry any options like that at this time.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #1452
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechow View Post
I was transporting my used tires inside my car and a mini van made a hard stop on the freeway so it rolled up and marked the roof.. which product should i get to remove all those nasty black marks on my roof?
Sorry to hear it the headliner can be cleaned with any good carpet cleaner. I personally like to use the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover and a good scrub brush with medium stiffness. Spray the stain and let it sit for a minute then agitate it with the brush. If needed dip your brush in a tiny bit of warm water and work the brush in multiple directions. It should fix the situation and have the headliner looking new again.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0