Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pirelli Zero vs Pilot Sport Cup

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Pirelli Zero vs Pilot Sport Cup

The new Pirelli PZero should be an excellent tire. Does anyone know how it compares to Pilot Sport Cup? Is Sport cup a lot better in dry? How bad is sport cup in the wet?

There is a new Pilot sport cup 2 available in some markets and some sizes (comes as an oem tire for the new 997 GT RS). Compared to the Pilot Sport Cup 1, the 2 should be a lot better in the wet but not quite as good in dry. Any experiences on any of the Sport Cups or new PZeros?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

I do not have experience with either tire, but from what I have heard the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires are recommended only for the race track for a reason. They are not meant to be used as daily driver tires as they will not perform well in slightly damp/rain/cold conditions or when the tires are cold. Just looking at the tread pattern between the two tires, it looks like the Michelins will hydroplane like crazy. Plus they will not have much tread life.

For a daily driver...I would pick the Pirelli Zero no question. If I was picking tires for the track...then of course the Pilot Sport Cup.

A more fair comparison to the Pirelli Zero might be the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) and not the Pilot Sport Cup tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
I do not have experience with either tire, but from what I have heard the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires are recommended only for the race track for a reason. They are not meant to be used as daily driver tires as they will not perform well in slightly damp/rain/cold conditions or when the tires are cold. Just looking at the tread pattern between the two tires, it looks like the Michelins will hydroplane like crazy. Plus they will not have much tread life.

For a daily driver...I would pick the Pirelli Zero no question. If I was picking tires for the track...then of course the Pilot Sport Cup.

A more fair comparison to the Pirelli Zero might be the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) and not the Pilot Sport Cup tires.
Thanks,
The comparison would not be fair to PS2.. I guess the ordinary Sport Cup is not a reasonable choice then. The only size that is available for the new Pilot Sport Cup NO seems to be the Porsche GT3 RS size. Hope they will add the sizes soon. The new Sport Cup would be a lot better all-rounder.
Appreciate 0