E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Arizona E9x Owners

View Poll Results: Who wants a meet in the Phoenix area ?
I do !! 10 83.33%
I will pass 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

03-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #1783
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
Thanks for the info

A few months ago I got a nail in a tire and temporarily put an A/S3 on it for a day before getting the tire patched. I talked to a discount tire guy near me and he said $540 out the door for 3 tires plus free install on the 4th since I bought it from them and I like that they have free balancing for their customers since I like to get the tires balanced every year anyways. There's a Fletchers near me so I'll definitely check them out for the alignment after, sounds like a really good price.

P.S. I always tell them to torque it to 90 lbs-ft and then re-torque them when I get home. Whenever I get anything done at discount tire I stand right behind my car when they drive it onto the lift cause they dented my rim once and I didn't see it til I got home.
Ok. I rechecked the price comparison with Fletchers and Discount correctly this time(Fletchers got several diff types like 17" 18" 19" V Y rated tires which threw me off). Assuming you got 225/255 18" rims...Fletchers is around $10 cheaper(Discount auto completes TPMS replacement which I took it out). + their $70+$70 Reward.
The prices on these tires goes up. I got all 4 tires a year ago about $60 lower than now.

All-Season tires is the way to go esp in Arizona. They will last a lot longer with close to equal performance to the Summer tires. Warrantied for 45k miles. Take that to less than half of PS 2 or other Summer tires.

Michelin A/S 3s are used on Formula 1 race cars. Outer tire compound is different than the rest to give extra grip during cornering. These tires can be rotated left and right because they are non-directional(tires must be taken off the rims) - a whole new design from scratch. Exciting tires. Take a look at TireRack comparison tests. It blows competitions away!
Plus, much LOWER prices compared to other Michelin PS Summer tires.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #1784
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
Ok. I rechecked the price comparison with Fletchers and Discount correctly this time(Fletchers got several diff types like 17" 18" 19" V Y rated tires which threw me off). Assuming you got 225/255 18" rims...Fletchers is around $10 cheaper(Discount auto completes TPMS replacement which I took it out). + their $70+$70 Reward.
The prices on these tires goes up. I got all 4 tires a year ago about $60 lower than now.

All-Season tires is the way to go esp in Arizona. They will last a lot longer with close to equal performance to the Summer tires. Warrantied for 45k miles. Take that to less than half of PS 2 or other Summer tires.

Michelin A/S 3s are used on Formula 1 race cars. Outer tire compound is different than the rest to give extra grip during cornering. These tires can be rotated left and right because they are non-directional(tires must be taken off the rims) - a whole new design from scratch. Exciting tires. Take a look at TireRack comparison tests. It blows competitions away!
Plus, much LOWER prices compared to other Michelin PS Summer tires.

Hope this helps...
I'll just call both see to what deals they can give me. Hopefully Fletcher's can give me a decent deal with an alignment also. I have 225/45/17 all around and next summer I'm gonna be looking at the facelift FR-S/BRZ and if I get it I'm going to put the run-flats back on the BMW and swap the A/S 3s over. The Scubaru comes with 7 in rims so it might be a bit of a stretch but I'll research it beforehand.

Sucks to hear about your wife's Lexus. You should definitely contact their coporate office and store manager citing safety concerns and hopefully they'll do they right thing and take care of it. Hope it works out for you guys, let me know
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #1785
zigsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92; 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
I'll just call both see to what deals they can give me. Hopefully Fletcher's can give me a decent deal with an alignment also. I have 225/45/17 all around and next summer I'm gonna be looking at the facelift FR-S/BRZ and if I get it I'm going to put the run-flats back on the BMW and swap the A/S 3s over. The Scubaru comes with 7 in rims so it might be a bit of a stretch but I'll research it beforehand.

Sucks to hear about your wife's Lexus. You should definitely contact their coporate office and store manager citing safety concerns and hopefully they'll do they right thing and take care of it. Hope it works out for you guys, let me know
I would try PepBoys as well. They claim to beat any competitors price...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #1786
zigsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92; 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconandrevelry View Post
I was able to get that handled. We can try and reset your issue if you would like? I just had the error removed from the VO.
I'll send you a PM
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #1787
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Registration renewal just came in, you guys are all passing emissions testing with a DP Fix? Where did you have to set the dial for it to work? I have one so Im going to have to install it and try it.

Last edited by e92_enthusiast_1; 03-15-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #1788
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
Registration renewal just came in, you guys are all passing emissions testing with a DP Fix? Where did you have to set the dial for it to work? I have one so Im going to have to install it and try it.
I just went through this when registering my Ohio car a month or so ago. It was a learning experience to say the least.

I installed mine, got codes and went through many cycles of trying to figure out the right setting. Looking at it now, 8 is the setting for me. It would not prevent me from eventually getting the o2 sensor codes but I figured out that I had a window of opportunity to get it tested once all my monitors were green. The code would be pending in the meantime. I passed with the O2 sensors pending a fault. What happens is it will not actually throw the CEL until after you turn it off when pending and then start up and get about 200 yds and then it would hit.

I literally passed, started the car when they told me to, and then turned onto the main road and it went off. By that time I had my pass slip

If you need more explanation, just send me a pm or give me a call and I can walk you through it.

Oh and make sure you have a bluetooth dongle and the Torque Pro app...it is necessary to check monitors and drive cycle status. It would have been a guessing game if I did not have it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #1789
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ty this helps. My main concern is that my Cobb doesn't check monitors. Also, I know some states let you have one monitor pending but I think in AZ they all have to be ok. I will try the torque pro app then to check monitors. Thx.

So i looked and Torque Pro app's 5 bucks not a big deal. But $70 for a BT OBD2 adapter ayyyyyyyyyyy lol.

Which one did you end up using AZTWW? This is the one im gonna order:

Find anything cheaper and know it works? There's these cheap ebay models that are like $30 but on the torque app bluetooth page it says those have issues sometimes so im thinking just play it safe with this known good model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
I just went through this when registering my Ohio car a month or so ago. It was a learning experience to say the least.

I installed mine, got codes and went through many cycles of trying to figure out the right setting. Looking at it now, 8 is the setting for me. It would not prevent me from eventually getting the o2 sensor codes but I figured out that I had a window of opportunity to get it tested once all my monitors were green. The code would be pending in the meantime. I passed with the O2 sensors pending a fault. What happens is it will not actually throw the CEL until after you turn it off when pending and then start up and get about 200 yds and then it would hit.

I literally passed, started the car when they told me to, and then turned onto the main road and it went off. By that time I had my pass slip

If you need more explanation, just send me a pm or give me a call and I can walk you through it.

Oh and make sure you have a bluetooth dongle and the Torque Pro app...it is necessary to check monitors and drive cycle status. It would have been a guessing game if I did not have it.

Good luck!

Last edited by e92_enthusiast_1; 03-16-2015 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #1790
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

It's not BT, but I'm using this one and it's super cheap. Seems to work fine for checking codes and monitors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #1791
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ty this helps. My main concern is that my Cobb doesn't check monitors. Also, I know some states let you have one monitor pending but I think in AZ they all have to be ok. I will try the torque pro app then to check monitors. Thx.

So i looked and Torque Pro app's 5 bucks not a big deal. But $70 for a BT OBD2 adapter ayyyyyyyyyyy lol.

Find anything cheaper and know it works? There's these cheap ebay models that are like $30 but on the torque app bluetooth page it says those have issues sometimes so im thinking just play it safe with this known good model.
I will take a look at what I bought and send you a note in the morning. I remember it only being around $20 or so on ebay. You are correct, the Cobb does not offer a view of the monitors or readiness drive cycle, which you will need. I was able to get all BMW monitors in green with a drive cycle. The pending fault would not occur until the highway portion at 60mph but I would already be on my way to the station. Its nice with Torque Pro because the monitors will immediately go green once they are ready. You then scan for codes to see if anything is pending.

It took a lot of trial and error on my part to finally get it right.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #1792
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Oh snap, yeah im a just use it once for emissions and probably not take it out for 2 more years so that is perfect and yeah idc if it's not BT. Thx SteveAZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
It's not BT, but I'm using this one and it's super cheap. Seems to work fine for checking codes and monitors.

Cool thx AZTWW,
Im a order the tool SteveAZ suggested (Amazon Prime free shipping so w/e). Half the price of the BT so yeah i'll do that but appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I'll share mine too in a few weeks and let you all know how it goes. I might still message you if I cant dial in the DPFix hopefully it's painless.

Quote:
I will take a look at what I bought and send you a note in the morning. I remember it only being around $20 or so on ebay. You are correct, the Cobb does not offer a view of the monitors or readiness drive cycle, which you will need. I was able to get all BMW monitors in green with a drive cycle. The pending fault would not occur until the highway portion at 60mph but I would already be on my way to the station. Its nice with Torque Pro because the monitors will immediately go green once they are ready. You then scan for codes to see if anything is pending.

It took a lot of trial and error on my part to finally get it right.

Last edited by e92_enthusiast_1; 03-17-2015 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #1793
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh snap, yeah im a just use it once for emissions and probably not take it out for 2 more years so that is perfect and yeah idc if it's not BT. Thx SteveAZ.

Cool thx AZTWW,
Im a order the tool SteveAZ suggested (Amazon Prime free shipping so w/e). Half the price of the BT so yeah i'll do that but appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I'll share mine too in a few weeks and let you all know how it goes. I might still message you if I cant dial in the DPFix hopefully it's painless.
Here is the tool I ordered, it is ODB2 bluetooth and works perfect.

The tool Steve suggested looks like it lacks a lot of the functionality and such of a bluetooth and Torque Pro app as it is just a ODB2 reader. I think total cost here for both is $28 vs the $23 and both are Prime.

I like Torque Pro and use it with my Nexus 7 and dash mount for monitoring gauges when I am not using my Cobb. Good luck in whatever you choose and let me know if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #1794
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
True,

I will only use it for that. I actually am trying to get in contact with another user to purchase their coding laptop for the more advanced programming.

I actually keep my Cobb in the car (at least the cable routed under the floor mat but the unit in my pocket). So that is my main form of gauges.

I will let everyone know how it goes for sure and report back.

Quote:
The tool Steve suggested looks like it lacks a lot of the functionality and such of a bluetooth and Torque Pro app as it is just a ODB2 reader. I think total cost here for both is $28 vs the $23 and both are Prime.

I like Torque Pro and use it with my Nexus 7 and dash mount for monitoring gauges when I am not using my Cobb. Good luck in whatever you choose and let me know if you need help.
      03-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #1795
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So were we ever going to have a Spring meet/ get together soon? I missed the BBQ back last November and thought there were rumblings of a track day/cruise that we wanted to throw together early this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #1796
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you guys on AZ BMW Group facebook page? There's an event setup in like a week and a half (35+ confirmed)

Sunday, March 29 at 5:30pm
Tempe Town Lake Marina

That same morning there is another event, kinda like a pregame, where a group of us are driving up to Prescott and back.

That's too early for me though.

Also, another question. My passenger side window got busted out a week ago. Sharp piece of broken spark plug ceramic. If i had an alarm would it have been sensitive enough to notice the window breaking? Like they ended up just taking the cup holder driver side and my floor mats. But if the alarm had gone off maybe they would have just took off after busting the window.

What are my options for security? OEM at dealer vs aftermarket?

Quote:
So were we ever going to have a Spring meet/ get together soon? I missed the BBQ back last November and thought there were rumblings of a track day/cruise that we wanted to throw together early this year.

Last edited by e92_enthusiast_1; 03-18-2015 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #1797
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you guys on AZ BMW Group facebook page? There's an event setup in like a week and a half (35+ confirmed)

Sunday, March 29 at 5:30pm
Tempe Town Lake Marina

That same morning there is another event, kinda like a pregame, where a group of us are driving up to Prescott and back.

That's too early for me though.

Also, another question. My passenger side window got busted out a week ago. Sharp piece of broken spark plug ceramic. If i had an alarm would it have been sensitive enough to notice the window breaking? Like they ended up just taking the cup holder driver side and my floor mats. But if the alarm had gone off maybe they would have just took off after busting the window.

What are my options for security? OEM at dealer vs aftermarket?
Which group is this on FB? I'd like to come out.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #1798
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Check if you can get to it. It's private so an admin will have to approve. I think you should be able to join the group w/o an invite. But if you need an invite you can add me and i'll invite.

AZ BMW Group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/4880...66458/?fref=nf
Me: https://www.facebook.com/pedro.la.dodgers

Quote:
Which group is this on FB? I'd like to come out.
      03-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #1799
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Check if you can get to it. It's private so an admin will have to approve. I think you should be able to join the group w/o an invite. But if you need an invite you can add me and i'll invite.

AZ BMW Group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/4880...66458/?fref=nf
Me: https://www.facebook.com/pedro.la.dodgers
Great I connected with you on FB but the group link says content not available.
Is it hidden?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #1800
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yeah i guess it's hidden. If anyone else is interested feel free to add me as a friend and ill get you guys in the group. I believe i have been given rights to add so no waiting just lmk.

TWW you should be good to go.

Quote:
Great I connected with you on FB but the group link says content not available.
Is it hidden?

Last edited by e92_enthusiast_1; 03-18-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #1801
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

When I checked a couple months ago I saw az allows one fault. I'm going to get inspected next week so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #1802
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Think that's right. Checked the AZ Dept of Env Quality website and in the PDF the vehicle type matrix we fall in I believe is the following:
  • 5 = OBD is the abbreviation for On-Board-Diagnostic System. Vehicles with excessive unset readiness indictors will be rejected from testing. (Monitors indicate the OBD system’s
    readiness to be audited. Model Year (MY) 2000 and older may have no more than 2 monitors unset. MY 2001 and newer may have no more than 1 unset monitor.)

Source(s): http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/index.html
http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei...ements2014.pdf

I ordered a reader with readiness monitors on it so im putting the o2 sim on this wekeend and seeing how that goes. Drive cycle for the checks to complete is kinda a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
When I checked a couple months ago I saw az allows one fault. I'm going to get inspected next week so we'll see.
      04-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #1803
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Think that's right. Checked the AZ Dept of Env Quality website and in the PDF the vehicle type matrix we fall in I believe is the following:
  • 5 = OBD is the abbreviation for On-Board-Diagnostic System. Vehicles with excessive unset readiness indictors will be rejected from testing. (Monitors indicate the OBD system’s
    readiness to be audited. Model Year (MY) 2000 and older may have no more than 2 monitors unset. MY 2001 and newer may have no more than 1 unset monitor.)

Source(s): http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/index.html
http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei...ements2014.pdf

I ordered a reader with readiness monitors on it so im putting the o2 sim on this wekeend and seeing how that goes. Drive cycle for the checks to complete is kinda a PITA.
I ordered some cheap obd2 reader off amazon to check readiness. I'm running a PTF stage 2 with VRSF downpipes. Interestingly, with the tune not clearing cat codes, my cats actually read as ready with the obd2 reader. I switched to an updated tune with the cat clearing enabled which I hear will on its own cause the cats to not read ready but I'm not sure how true this is as with the tune + cat sims it works. Hopefully after a weekend of driving I'll be set to go and pass with just the cats as not ready. I'll let you guys know what my results are.

Also, this is what I ordered to check for $20

04-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #1804
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Nice I ordered the same one. Yeah AFAIK auto clear will reset all ready monitors but let us know your results. For the curious here's the drive cycle to reach readiness:
View post on imgur.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
I ordered some cheap obd2 reader off amazon to check readiness. I'm running a PTF stage 2 with VRSF downpipes. Interestingly, with the tune not clearing cat codes, my cats actually read as ready with the obd2 reader. I switched to an updated tune with the cat clearing enabled which I hear will on its own cause the cats to not read ready but I'm not sure how true this is as with the tune + cat sims it works. Hopefully after a weekend of driving I'll be set to go and pass with just the cats as not ready. I'll let you guys know what my results are.

Also, this is what I ordered to check for $20

Appreciate 0