E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DIY: Under seats sub upgrade

08-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #67
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

I'm back on track with my project, with the help of some pro. I will make those custom enclosures to fit the Pioneer.

Estimated deadline end August with some more pictures to post.

If you're from Belgium, this company gives very nice service !
http://www.r-m-s.be/
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #68
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

etik, can't wait to see the final product!
      08-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #69
scampos1984
Spaniard member
Spain
Rep
Drives: E90 & E91 320d

Waiting to see it dude
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #70
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Being back into upgrading my car stereo business, I have heard the following playing in E90.

http://www.focal-fr.com/catalogue-fr...4&idProduit=94

They sound incredible ! While having the sub enclosure done by pro, I will at the same time change my front / back speakers with Focal 100KP. They fit the original enclosure with minimal modification.

I'm still waiting on appointment to get the job done, before 31August at the latest.

Will take as much pictures as possible to detail the installation process.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 05:33 AM   #71
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post
As soon as you upgrade the two subs, they will dominate the acoustical presence of the system. You would then need to upgrade all the speakers (and therefore add more amps) to make the system balanced again. So just adding subs will make it actually perform worse than the basic Logic 7 system. I think I have driven by more than enough cars with their subs so much louder than their mains for one lifetime.
Are you sure of this? As far as I understand this depends on the sensitivity of the subs. Some have said that the sensitivity of the stock subs is quite a lot and upgrading subs in fact would decrease the sensitivity resulting lower volume of the subs tha what are the stock subs. Can you provide some more data for me to verify that the bass volume due upgrading subs would increase rather than decrease?

I would hope the volume to stay in line with the stock volume,so that the upgrade would just result in hearing the low frequencies that the stock subs are not able to handle. However, I have been told by some (non-experts though) that I would need to purchase an upgraded amp for the subs to produce the same in-line volume to go along well with the other speakers. Thanks for any info.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #72
bmrowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 740i black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Are you sure of this? As far as I understand this depends on the sensitivity of the subs. Some have said that the sensitivity of the stock subs is quite a lot and upgrading subs in fact would decrease the sensitivity resulting lower volume of the subs tha what are the stock subs. Can you provide some more data for me to verify that the bass volume due upgrading subs would increase rather than decrease?

I would hope the volume to stay in line with the stock volume,so that the upgrade would just result in hearing the low frequencies that the stock subs are not able to handle. However, I have been told by some (non-experts though) that I would need to purchase an upgraded amp for the subs to produce the same in-line volume to go along well with the other speakers. Thanks for any info.
There is no way the stock amp could run any subs but its own OEM ones. Once you upgrade the amp, and start pushing a lot of power through the new larger subs, they are most likely going to push more sound and therefore be louder. If you upgrade the sub/amp and keep the nice balance the car has now, I don't think you would get the performance you are desiring unless you replace some of the main speakers too. However, if you simply upgrade the sub/amp and tweak it so it puts out the same dB level but is just more refined than stock, it would still be an excellent balanced system.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #73
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

4 days to go

My car is currently at car hifi dealer that will do the custom enclosure for the underseat sub with a mix of wood (mdf) and fiber.

That should fit the Pioneer TS-SW841D in the original enclosure space.

Installed so far
- JL CleanSweep CL441DSP ( $100 )
- AudioBahn A4075HCT( $400 )
- Focal 100KP for all car speakers replacement ( $400 x 2 )

Ongoing
- Pioneer TS-SW841D ( $100 x 2)

I was already pleased with the Focal speakers sound, They sound amazing... I believe it's the best speakers for OEM replacement. Can't wait to hear the result with Pioneer in place.

So $1500 for the components and $800 on top for the custom sub enclosure. I did the other components installation myself, but I'm not skilled enough to make enclosure with fiber.

Last edited by etik; 08-24-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #74
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

Can't wait to see the pics. This is a very possible upgrade for the winter. Do you think the company that's making the custom enclosure would want to whip up a dozen or so more, if there's a demand?
      08-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #75
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T i h o r View Post
Do you think the company that's making the custom enclosure would want to whip up a dozen or so more, if there's a demand?
I'm not sure about that, but I will ask. I already contacted that company few months ago when I started my hifi upgrade project but at the time they could not help as they were not having someone in their team skilled enough to perform the installation. They were more used to GSM / simple audio install. Now after hiring a new guy they might want to expand in more advance installation... stay tune...

Last edited by etik; 08-22-2007 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #76
bnj
Banned
Rep

How much are they asking for fabricating the enclosures for the pair of subs?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #77
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
How much are they asking for fabricating the enclosures for the pair of subs?
I think he said $800.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #78
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I think he said $800.
Correct $800, car at hifi installator premise for 4 days... I'm missing it
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #79
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Car back... this is my no comment post... pictures says it all

Back to square one... I will learn how to do fiber enclosure and do it myself :mad:

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #80
etik
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Got 100% money back from the company that did the 'enclosure'. They gonna redo next week. I'll stay there and monitor the job this time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #81
bnj
Banned
Rep

Seems not to be easy, but it cannot be THAT difficult... Hope they get it done ok the next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #82
surbotaab
Rep
Drives: My girlfrends e90

Quote:
Seems not to be easy, but it cannot be THAT difficult... Hope they get it done ok the next time.

It`s not difficult, but it`s not easy either....

I would recommend you guys to check this thread:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75318
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #83
bnj
Banned
Rep

Reading that you can see that we have already been reading that... and even posting at it

Increasing the volume of the stock enclosure and upgrading the subs makes wonders. Moreover, the location below the seats is good for performance minded driver (the extra weight is low and in the middle between the axles. Some like to save the room in the trunk as well. Moreover, upgrading the underseat subs can be applied in all the 1, 3, 5 and 7 series. Someone should have a good business by providing upgraded under seat enclosure+sub combos.

(If you referred to Etik being able to ask from you, I agree that at the quoted price it might have made sense to ask you...)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #84
surbotaab
Rep
Drives: My girlfrends e90

Quote:
Reading that you can see that we have already been reading that... and even posting at it

Increasing the volume of the stock enclosure and upgrading the subs makes wonders. Moreover, the location below the seats is good for performance minded driver (the extra weight is low and in the middle between the axles. Some like to save the room in the trunk as well. Moreover, upgrading the underseat subs can be applied in all the 1, 3, 5 and 7 series. Someone should have a good business by providing upgraded under seat enclosure+sub combos.

(If you referred to Etik being able to ask from you, I agree that at the quoted price it might have made sense to ask you...)

Hehe... I diden`t think of you especially, I just thougt that many persons dont read my tread It don`t got a fancy title
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #85
jcurbina
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Is not possible to make any adapter ring to fix the subwoofer into the original enclosure?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #86
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by etik View Post

This is what you should get

The issue here seems to be that the top of the OEM sub enclosure is not big enough for the Pioneer 8" shallow subs. Everything else in the OEM sub enclosure should be fine, right?

Therefore, you could create an hybrid of an enclosure by matching that MDF custom top mount with the bottom of the OEM sub enclosure:

a) Remove the top portion of the OEM enclosure (unscrew it/unglue it/just cut it) as high and leveled as possible. You want to be as close as possible to .15 cubic feet in volume minimum (sealed specs of this Pioneer sub)
b) Attach with epoxy the MDF top to that leveled plastic bottom.

That should give you a sealed enclosure while perfectly matching the OEM mounting hole under the seats and fit those Pioneers subs in that enclosure.

Now, if you want to really do this the right, reproducible way, you could take this custom enclosure (MDF + OEM enclosure bottom, or just the OEM enclosure bottom if you do not want to cut it) to a plastic fabricating shop (not to an audio shop). They could create an full ABS plastic enclosure based on your prototype and even get that .15 cubic feet volume squared away for you for the optimum performance of this Pioneer sub, and still fit the OEM spot under the seats.

Send me some royalties by PayPal once you complete this, please...

Last edited by Technic; 08-28-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #87
bnj
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The issue here seems to be that the top of the OEM sub enclosure is not big enough for the Pioneer 8" shallow subs. Everything else in the OEM sub enclosure should be fine, right?

Therefore, you could create an hybrid of an enclosure by matching that MDF custom top mount with the bottom of the OEM sub enclosure:

a) Remove the top portion of the OEM enclosure (unscrew it/unglue it/just cut it) as high and leveled as possible. You want to be as close as possible to .15 cubic feet in volume minimum (sealed specs of this Pioneer sub)
b) Attach with epoxy the MDF top to that leveled plastic bottom.

That should give you a sealed enclosure while perfectly matching the OEM mounting hole under the seats and fit those Pioneers subs in that enclosure.

Now, if you want to really do this the right, reproducible way, you could take this custom enclosure (MDF + OEM enclosure bottom, or just the OEM enclosure bottom if you do not want to cut it) to a plastic fabricating shop (not to an audio shop). They could create an full ABS plastic enclosure based on your prototype and even get that .15 cubic feet volume squared away for you for the optimum performance of this Pioneer sub, and still fit the OEM spot under the seats.

Send me some royalties by PayPal once you complete this, please...
This would be awesome. I thought that the enclosure volume needs to be compromised due to the lack of space, but I had no idea that the optimum volume of the enclosure is so small!

Guys, why don't you create the molds and get the business running
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #88
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
This would be awesome. I thought that the enclosure volume needs to be compromised due to the lack of space, but I had no idea that the optimum volume of the enclosure is so small!

Guys, why don't you create the molds and get the business running
.15 cubic feet (4.2 liters, including the sub) is the bare minimum recommended by Pioneer in the specs of this sub.

These 8" subs also could be used in an infinite baffle (free air configuration) although their nominal power rating is less than in a sealed enclosure and the response is slightly different. But they work...
Appreciate 0