E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower Motor Recall experience

02-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
pb335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 ; RIP 2009 BMW 335

Blower Motor Recall experience

Took my car into my bmw dealer to get the Blower Motor recall done mainly cuz my AC went out and decided to see if that was related. Took the car in and marked my appoint for the next day in the morning to have it looked and they said it should take less than an hour so I decided to check myself when I got home Incase they tried finessing me lol (took 2 min). I noticed my wires were torched up so hoped it was related to my AC not blowing and wanted to see what was good with that loaner . Unfortunately they didn't want to give me a bmw loaner and they were partnered with hertz and so they gave me a rental from hertz and sadly it was a Nissan Rogue so I complained and got a Nissan Altima luckily with leather!! (great on gas tho!) lasted only 1 week and a half and got the call today that the parts in and gonna take it in Monday......HERE ARE SOME PICS first pic is my car MELTED and second is what it should look like from my friends
Attached Images

2014 BMW M6 F13 Competition Alpine White on Red / DCT with Carbon Fiber Trim // -- (RIP) FBO 09 335i e92 Alpine White on Red M-Tech//Cobb AP V3//Active Autowerke Exhaust//VRSF Downpipes//VRSF 7' FMIC//DCI//Active Autowerke CP and BOV//Black 18x9 TE37 Style//
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      02-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Mikep976
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

Looks bad, luckily it didn't start a fire. I assume mine would look similar, but took it to my dealer immediately after I got smoke in the cabin from the air vents. Gave me a loaner on the spot, and they are storing my car until they get parts in. It is a real shame that the results people have been getting are so dependent on the dealer. This whole recall issue should really be applied to all dealers, without this variation in assistance that we are seeing.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
pb335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: When i got there on Monday they told me that the part was for another car but dropped the car off Friday afternoon and should pick it up today now Saturday.
2014 BMW M6 F13 Competition Alpine White on Red / DCT with Carbon Fiber Trim // -- (RIP) FBO 09 335i e92 Alpine White on Red M-Tech//Cobb AP V3//Active Autowerke Exhaust//VRSF Downpipes//VRSF 7' FMIC//DCI//Active Autowerke CP and BOV//Black 18x9 TE37 Style//
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
yevg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi sedan

Why did they have to keep your car to install a blower motor?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Rickssecond
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
blower motor

WOW! That picture looks scary.I have the same car, same year and a 2011 328i E90. I'm going to look at both cars this morning. The dealer said he doesn't expect parts until July. It took a year and a half to get a new air bag for the 2011, but right away for my 335i. On You Tube they show the new parts they replace which is about three. If mine show anything they are both going in. Thanks for the update. Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
pb335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevg View Post
Why did they have to keep your car to install a blower motor?
They did not keep my car. I kept my car for 3-4 weeks i believe and they gave me a rental (not a bmw). I received a call late friday afternoon at 4 and i believe they closed at 5 so he asked if i could bring it in so they could start Saturday morning (today) right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickssecond View Post
WOW! That picture looks scary.I have the same car, same year and a 2011 328i E90. I'm going to look at both cars this morning. The dealer said he doesn't expect parts until July. It took a year and a half to get a new air bag for the 2011, but right away for my 335i. On You Tube they show the new parts they replace which is about three. If mine show anything they are both going in. Thanks for the update. Rick
My airbag was fairly quick but i did take forever to do it, id say i went in and scheduled it and had it a few days later. This lasted me about a month, he said i was one of 3 cars that actually had the problem compared to about 200 cars that came in wanting to do it right away. So they prioritized who gets it i guess. No problem glad i could help
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
pb335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got my car back and she's running amazing as she should. The main reason i did this was because my AC STOPPED blowing out air. Now its fixed and blowing out cold and brand new.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
yevg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi sedan

Called today and was told they did not have a solution for the blower motor recall, and will let me know when they figure it out. I also have the airbag recall, so was told to wait until the parts come in because a ton of people are getting it done.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
Mikep976
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

Dropped the car off on January 24th for all three recalls, but haven’t heard anything since. If this continues, it sure will cost BMW NA a ton of money in rental car fees!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #10
AZDesertBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Spoke with BMW NA today. Guy told me cars with rentals out should be fixed by April, and cars that haven't required rentals will be fixed starting in April.
Appreciate 1
tom919223.00
      02-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #11
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb335i View Post
The main reason i did this was because my AC STOPPED blowing out air. Now its fixed and blowing out cold and brand new.
I recently purchased a 2013 Honda Civic as a beater for work and my 335 has been sitting for most of the past 3 weeks. Drove it last weekend and the AC all of a sudden wasn’t blowing out cold air but I did hear the compressor kicking in. Possible leak/low in R-134? Maybe but never thought the recall could be a cause for this. Car currently at Active so I’ll have them inspect the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
tom9192
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i '06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBMW View Post
Spoke with BMW NA today. Guy told me cars with rentals out should be fixed by April, and cars that haven't required rentals will be fixed starting in April.
This just seems crazy! I've had a rental since mid-Jan and it's costing BMW ~$3000 a month(Unless they're getting some big discount after the fact from enterprise). 2 more weeks and they could have just bought the car back from me...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've been on the fence about this recall. I've had to replace my blower motor twice now. The first time in 2010 I just replaced the blower and reused the resistor pack. The second time in January 2016, I bought the aftermarket OEM Valeo unit that comes with a new resistor pack. I kept the old blower unit as a spare so I have the old resistor pack. I was thinking I'd swap in the old resistor pack (my original factory-supplied one) before I have the recall done since I think the recall replaces the resistor pack along with a new connector/harness pigtail.

Can anyone confirm what parts are actually replaced?

TIA
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
pb335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I recently purchased a 2013 Honda Civic as a beater for work and my 335 has been sitting for most of the past 3 weeks. Drove it last weekend and the AC all of a sudden wasn’t blowing out cold air but I did hear the compressor kicking in. Possible leak/low in R-134? Maybe but never thought the recall could be a cause for this. Car currently at Active so I’ll have them inspect the wiring.
Its super easy to check if its melted (takes literally 2 min), passenger side under the glove compartment, there is a plastic cover held on by 2 star bolts one on each side, pop it off and then lay down and look up then pop it back on when you are done but that was on my e92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9192 View Post
This just seems crazy! I've had a rental since mid-Jan and it's costing BMW ~$3000 a month(Unless they're getting some big discount after the fact from enterprise). 2 more weeks and they could have just bought the car back from me...
Yea i had my rental around mid jan and just got finished in mid feb but it was from hertz so i assume they are getting some sort of deal with a contract since it would be for a long period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've been on the fence about this recall. I've had to replace my blower motor twice now. The first time in 2010 I just replaced the blower and reused the resistor pack. The second time in January 2016, I bought the aftermarket OEM Valeo unit that comes with a new resistor pack. I kept the old blower unit as a spare so I have the old resistor pack. I was thinking I'd swap in the old resistor pack (my original factory-supplied one) before I have the recall done since I think the recall replaces the resistor pack along with a new connector/harness pigtail.

TIA
I can't confirm exactly what part it was but to my knowledge and understanding they changed just the wiring harness and not the actual blower, so i believe they removed it and placed a new one and thats about it, not sure if this would be preventing any sort of melting but well have to see, ill try and look to see if the wires look any different from the brown and red color wires from before.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      02-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
AZDesertBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9192 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBMW View Post
I was talking to the guy at BMW NA about this same issue. The cost of a buy back would be covered in 2 to 3 months for most pre-lci cars. Maybe the tax write off that the whole recall must be for BMW must be different for rental cost vs. just buying cars back.

I've always wondered from a business stand point, why not offer a trade in bonus of a couple thousand dollars over the cars value to get people in older BMWs in new ones, for recall cars in this type of situation. They save the cost of rentals, and can then fix the cars on their time line. Then when they're fixed, just start dumping them onto the auction market. Seems like this would save them some money, especially on the older cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

When BMW is doing this recall, is there anything else that makes sense to replace at the same time?
I would be willing to pay for work if there are other parts or possible preventative maintenance issues to also address while doing the blower motor recall.
      02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh

TIA
They'll replace the resistor if it's damaged (eg burnt)
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17316.50