E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

07-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #903
Stu667
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairgd View Post
Very disappointed with BMW here, looking towards Audi now....
Me too, I'm hearing good things about Audi but lots of BMW horror stories, even with the diesels.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #904
NoelWatson
Private
Rep
Drives: Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairgd View Post
Very disappointed with BMW here, looking towards Audi now....

They will be just as bad. If not worse. Think you will have to look towards something reliable, such as a French car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #905
Stu667
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelWatson View Post
They will be just as bad. If not worse. Think you will have to look towards something reliable, such as a French car.
Are you having a laugh mate, French cars!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #906
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
My engine management lights came on twice in the last 3 months. Thank goodness the car is covered under BMW extended warranty.
Yes, i decided not to take any chances after reading all the horror story about the 4 cylinder petrol engine on here. Took out the fully comprehensive cover 4 months ago. No regret whatsoever..definitely worth the penny. Took the car round to Sytner BMW Nottingham today and the whole experience had been painfree. The customer service was second to none..i would like to use this opportunity to thank Martyn Burrow, one of the service advisors in Sytner
They hooked me up in a free courtesy mini for the day and kept me informed throughout the day. BMW FTW!
In contrast, Nissan customer service is shite
They had replaced 2 coils, 2 injectors and 2 spark plugs..BMW has a policy that they will only replaced the faulty parts at initial visit as opposed to the whole lot. The car is running much better on my way back but obviously only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #907
pez
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 320i SE

hi guys

im new to all this.

my e92 320i has had the engine management light come on 3 times in the space of two months but the light has almost straight away gone off.

whilst this happens the car was shuddering and misfiring as if it was going to stall.

took the car to bmw and their diagnostic located to the fault to cylinder one where they think the coil and spark plug need replacing.

has anyone else been in this position ?? what do it do??

thanks
Pez
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #908
BrightStar
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
hi guys

im new to all this.

my e92 320i has had the engine management light come on 3 times in the space of two months but the light has almost straight away gone off.

whilst this happens the car was shuddering and misfiring as if it was going to stall.

took the car to bmw and their diagnostic located to the fault to cylinder one where they think the coil and spark plug need replacing.

has anyone else been in this position ?? what do it do??

thanks
Pez
Hi Pez.....I had very similar problem and everyone in this thread seems to be suffering from exact the same problem.

Simple solution is to get them replaced......to get the car running. Long term solution seems to be sell the car and get a diesel one?

That's what I am thinking of doing....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #909
pez
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 320i SE

Thanks brightstar. Did they replace all coils for you an all spark plugs? Did it solve the problem? Thank you for your reply
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #910
BrightStar
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92

I had juddering problem and too much virbation with engine management light on....took it to BMW garage and they recommended to replace all injectors, coils and spark plugs......as I bought my car from an outside dealer, they did refused to pay BMW everything.

Towed the car back to the outside dealer and they changed all coils and spark plugs but only faulty injector. Car is back and running very smoothly....not quite sure for how long though.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #911
alistairgd
Rep
Drives: E90 318 ES Edition Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightStar View Post
Car is back and running very smoothly....not quite sure for how long though.

About 6 months.
      07-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #912
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Isn't it funny how if you're out of warranty they want you to replace EVERYTHING otherwise it just the bits they want to...

Sell them, sell them all now.
      07-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #913
Stu667
Private
Rep

I would like to know where we stand legally with this issue if the car is still under BMW warranty?

BMW's answer seems to be to keep changing the injectors/coils as and when they fail (mine has had nine injectors and eight coils in less than two years) but surely there has got to be some limit where they draw the line? I have been in correspondence with Myra Gray at BMW who appears to believe it is quite reasonable to repeatedly inconvenience customers as long as the work is carried out for free under warranty. The reasonable thing for BMW to do in my opinion would be to help their suffering customers into diesels, but this appears to be too much to ask, especially if you did not buy the car from a BMW dealer. I expect the main reason for this is to stop the floodgates from opening.

I am off to see a solicitor about this tomorrow, I will keep this topic updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #914
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

I agree Westy! SELL SELL SELL SELL! Test drove a Mini Countryman the other day, Awesome, just have to ignore the fact its built by BMW. Never again will my hands and feet control a machine showing a blue and white chequred badge with the letters BMW!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #915
NoelWatson
Private
Rep
Drives: Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu667 View Post
Are you having a laugh mate, French cars!
I have an R26.R - it hasn't broken down once despite numerous track days. My 330i has been back to the garage six times. It sucks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #916
Stu667
Private
Rep

I'm surprised at how poor BMW UK's customer service department has been with this matter.

They are basically telling me it is unfortunate but that's what the warranty is there for. They are also telling me that any complaints I have about the car I should take up with my 'contractual partner'. Well I'm sorry, but the car is fully BMW serviced with a BMW unlimited mileage warranty so surely they are liable for any defects, regardless of where I purchased it from?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #917
Dirty Tool
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just seen this thread...my mothers 2006 320i auto has had 3 coil pack changes and has started leaking fluids. Inspection by local dealership (stephen james, enfield) diagnosed the following all leaking:

Camcover gasket - £252.54
Vacumn pump - £376.39
Transmission sump pan & Electrical sleeve - £507.08
Engine sump gasket - £460.45

The car has barely done 33K miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #918
bodgerx
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 318i Efficient Dynamics

Anyone with a E90/E91 318i or 320i that has had no problems with the engine whatsoever?

I've had my 2008 318i ED for over 3 months and I've had hesitation problems or anything like that. Runs fine and averages 42-43mpg.

I've had a yellow engine warning light, but the car was driving fine, and apparently this was down to the coolant temp being too high for a period.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #919
LPRC
Rep
Drives: 120i coupe

Hi guys,

a little update with my situation.

I have a 120i coupe and since march, after it has been sitting for a couple hours, it will struggle to start up and cranks/turns over a lot.

Took it to BMW Sytner, 1st time they said there were no codes and could not fault it. 2nd time they changed the "fuel sensor" but the problem continued to happen. 3rd time they changed the "high pressure fuel pump" (even though I was told that this model does not have 1!) but AGAIN the problem is still happening.

Getting sick and tired with BMW now.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #920
MarcoM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i, 2015 M4 Coupe

Parking brake warning light

Hello everyone,
Newbie here from Panama.
I have a 2007 320i, and this week, my parking brake warning light came and stayed on. I also get the red service warning ( you know, the little car up on a lift).
Before i take it to the very expensive BMW shop here, as there are no reliable indie shops, I was hoping someone out there could tell me if they have had a similar issue in the past, and how it was solved.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #921
campinitos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M Sport

Hi all,
Bought my 07 plate e92 320i m sport coupe 5 months ago from an Arnold Clarke Dealership. Been back 3 times so far with same problem, also saw that in the service history it had been back to BMW with the same issue.
AC have replaced the parts FOC every time, but when my extended warranty runs out in 2 yrs i'll be up sh1t creek.
Also recently spoke to a friend who works for BMW and said they are fully aware of the fault, which was recently being discussed in Frankfurt only last week. He advised me to contact BMW customer services with the problems even though I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer. I'll let you know what they come back with but I suspect it will be a load of cr@p!
Recently been looking at replacement cars (Audi, Merc) but I love my BMWs so much it pains me to do it! Never had any issues with my old E46 in 10 yrs and 120k miles!
We need action from BMW, they know about the problem, consumer action is the only way. There are hundreds of posts on this forum alone.
I've just written to watchdog - I suggest you all do the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #922
alistairgd
Rep
Drives: E90 318 ES Edition Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinitos View Post
I've just written to watchdog - I suggest you all do the same.
Yeh I'll send an e-mail in because this is unacceptable. For these that missed it above, I was told (off the record), this is a fault my dealer sees DAILY. Not good enough for BMW.

Perhaps everyone who mails watchdog should use the same subject to help flag up as the same issue experienced by many. "BMW Coil Issue" or similar.
      08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #923
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightStar View Post
I had juddering problem and too much virbation with engine management light on....took it to BMW garage and they recommended to replace all injectors, coils and spark plugs......as I bought my car from an outside dealer, they did refused to pay BMW everything.

Towed the car back to the outside dealer and they changed all coils and spark plugs but only faulty injector. Car is back and running very smoothly....not quite sure for how long though.

Hope it helps.
Push to get the whole lot done at once if you can, although if the car is under warranty, you probably won't succeed .

So.....my car went into the dealers with the usual symptoms, coil and all spark plugs changed. A couple of days later, the warning light came on again. The dealer actually admitted that if one went, it was ver common for another to go soon afterwards !

My car is leased, and I'd lost track of which injectors/coils had been replaced, but apparently they've now done the lot ...just as the car is due to go back !

Time to switch to diesel, I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #924
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu667 View Post
I would like to know where we stand legally with this issue if the car is still under BMW warranty?

BMW's answer seems to be to keep changing the injectors/coils as and when they fail (mine has had nine injectors and eight coils in less than two years) but surely there has got to be some limit where they draw the line? I have been in correspondence with Myra Gray at BMW who appears to believe it is quite reasonable to repeatedly inconvenience customers as long as the work is carried out for free under warranty. The reasonable thing for BMW to do in my opinion would be to help their suffering customers into diesels, but this appears to be too much to ask, especially if you did not buy the car from a BMW dealer. I expect the main reason for this is to stop the floodgates from opening.

I am off to see a solicitor about this tomorrow, I will keep this topic updated.
Don't confuse BMW with a manufacturer that actually cares about it's customers !

Such a fuss about minor inconveniences such as your car braking down regularly (if you're anything like me, on the motorway late at night !) , dealers fixing immediate symptoms rather than root causes, wondering whether the slightest shake is sign of imminent breakdown and feeling that you've paid a lot of money for a heap of junk !

The truth is of course, that you don't really matter - you've only bought the cheap version of the car, so why would BMW care ?
Appreciate 0