E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > nissan gtr

01-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #45
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

BTW - the reason my mate sold his GTR was the front of the car needed a respray and it pee'd him off that Nissan wouldn't admit the paint was soft. (I think he's also building a new house so needed some cash)

His mates had ferrari and stuff like that and they'd do driving days up the north of scotland...GTR and stone chips/road rash is not a good combo. I just stay in front of cars to avoid that situ
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #46
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
palm nuts
just seen the number of your posts is that real?
Not anymore it isn't - didn't notice till you picked up on it lol!

Anyway, on the subject of the GTR I was quite critical and yes, I did pick up on the bad bits without giving the good bits enough 'press'!

However, let it be known that I was nearly seriously tempted to get one when I sold the C63 as the good bits really are good. It would never have been a long-term car for me (which means by now, 2 months on, it probably would've gone ) and the ride did put me off the thought of using it everyday.

As I said, in my limited drive of it I could really see the appeal of it as a second car as it was quite special and different to a more normal saloon-based sports saloon of similar money...such as what I was coming out of. I guess the only thing for you to do is go and drive one...maybe you're more hardcore than me and can therefore put up with the ride etc to enjoy the good bits all the more (don't forget, I did get out of an old-mans Merc and my Turbo, known as the luxury version of the 911, is about as hardcore as I'm prepared to go!).

One more thing...my missus drove it for about 20 minutes on our test drive. She doesn't like driving fast and neither does she make a habit of swearing but as she pulled out onto a dual carridgeway and found it so easy to drive it very quickly, she developed a little smile and muttered 'fuck me this is fast!'. Praise indeed!

In contrast she doesn't like driving the Porsche as it's 'too hard to drive'. Decision made for me...I got the mans car
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #47
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Palm - are you bored of the 911 yet? What's next?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #48
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
In contrast she doesn't like driving the Porsche as it's 'too hard to drive'. Decision made for me...I got the mans car
Me thinks I need to have a word with Vicky.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #49
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Palm - are you bored of the 911 yet? What's next?
Yes, a little bit (but this wont surprise those who know me)!

Its a bloody incredible car, it really is. Not to take away from the GTR as its at a very different price point (although due to very different residuals, my £90k turbo only worked out about £150 a month more than a £50k GTR , admittedly both with a deposit more than most people spend a whole car!), but the mags that put the two up against each other and say the GTr is just as good really don't live in the real world...out there on the broken tarmac jungle, the 911 is on another plane to anything else I've driven - Porsche seem to know how to do suspension like nobody else.

But I miss the AMG and all that they stand for....crazy, big engined muscle cars in a normal'ish looking body that are also very refined and of excellent quality. I miss the sound, the looks (yes, I preferred the looks of my C63 to the 911 ) but I'd never go back to a current-shape C63. Been there done that. I've also been tempted by an M6 again but, great long-distance cruiser it is, in the UK it's a waste so again, I know it wouldn't last 5 minutes.

So, I'm going to enjoy the 911 over the spring/summer and the various trips to Europe and 'ring that I'll inevitably be doing - there probably isn't much to better it for a combined cruiser/track car.

I may towards the end of the year follow it up with a facelift C63/C63-Coupe or even a used new-shape (i.e. the not-out-yet 5.5 Bi-Turbo one) CLS63 when they've lost £15-20k at 6-months old.

Thing is, the Turbo is THAT good to drive that I wonder if I've royally bent myself over and stuffed myself right up the arse in that whatever else I drive just won't match up (indeed, I see that this has happened as I'm VERY critical of Vicki's 135i which in comparison to most cars is excellent yet I now seem to have regular issue with!).

Indeed, if this is the case then my back-up plan, if funds and depreciation allow later on in the year, is to upgrade to a Turbo S...or even just a normal Turbo with a PDK box. I seriously rate that 'box and whilst my car has one of the best manuals I've ever used, I'd have PDK tomorrow if they were just £8-10k cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #50
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Me thinks I need to have a word with Vicky.
She still wants a bloody SLK (or TT....your bloody fault that!).

I'm moaning at how the 135i drives...imagine what I'd be like in an SLK!

Proper girls car that one....just ask Jon
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #51
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Palm - I pity you and your dreadful dilemmas ;-)
Fascinating reading - cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #52
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
She still wants a bloody SLK (or TT....your bloody fault that!).

I'm moaning at how the 135i drives...imagine what I'd be like in an SLK!

Proper girls car that one....just ask Jon
Vicki did mention the SLK to me actually

Who knows if fuel prices come down a bit, come summer I may have some test drives in a RS5...........then the TT could be up for grabs lol.

Anyhow Andrew, thank you for saying about Porsche suspension. Too many people have looked at me blank when I've said that they are comfortable on a long run, even the little Cayman S. Long run I mean south of France, Le Mans and the fantastic holiday to Alsace & Stuttgart in the Turbo.

Again, for me anyhow, it comes back to some of the cost of a Porsche. It's the bits you don't see where the 'money' is. The materials they use etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #53
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

thanks Andrew
now if you sell a few more phones.......
http://www.outwoodcars.com/vehicle.asp?ID=137
its got your name all over it!
check out the 928 on their website
http://www.outwoodcars.com/vehicle.asp?ID=116
      01-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #54
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I drove my cousins car which was of the first batch of UK GTR's and Steve's. I felt they were both exceptional and did not creak or rattle. The suspension is indeed firm but it wouldn't put me off owning one, if anything it clearly works to the GTR's advantage. Don't they have run flats too?at

Misters3 what's the rear camera solution?

Is there such a thing as money off new GTR and what place might be interested in doing a great deal?

Last edited by flyfs6; 01-26-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #55
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
I drove my cousins car which was of the first batch of UK GTR's and Steve's. I felt they were both exceptional and did not creak or rattle. The suspension is indeed firm but it wouldn't put me off owning one, if anything it clearly works to the GTR's advantage. Don't they have run flats too?at

Misters3 what's the rear camera solution?

Is there such a thing as money off new GTR and what place might be interested in doing a great deal?
Yeh they are on runflats...but that's part of the set up...go non-runflats and you'll compromise the handling. That's the experience of the guys that have tried. Saying that for road use, you probably won't notice.

Rear camera solution. In the hidden menu(turn radio off, press settings, and turn volume anti-clockwise 40 odd clicks) is the ability to turn on rear camera. If it's non-nav car - very easy off the shelf solution.
In the nav car, a guy in the US figured out the wiring harness and sells it for $100 including shipping. Add in a Kenwood camera and you're sorted. You can add a front camera too as part of his solution and have a remote control even to switch them.
Nissan don't sell it bizarrely.

Palmnuts - must admit, my all time favourite car has always been an Porsche Turbo. So i would have one over a GTR if i could afford it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #56
flyfs6
Captain
Rep

Thanks for that.

I'll continue to enjoy my Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #57
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
Thanks for that.

I'll continue to enjoy my Turbo S
Actually Palmnuts or his Mrs actually, hit on another thing.

Driving it is very very easy. Around town - stick it in D, and it's effortless, but on A-roads and on the edge (i went to Millbrook in mine for CATDT training), on the paddles, it's still easier to drive than a 911.

When i get mine to 580-600bhp, as much as i love 991 T's (more so the S) i can't see me switching up. The next level up is a Ferrari 458! (Palmnuts? )
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #58
flyfs6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
i can't see me switching up. The next level up is a Ferrari 458! (Palmnuts? )
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #59
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh and if you're gonna map it...the COBB Accessport lets you change maps from the steering wheel controls while driving! Up to 9 maps i think.

So you can give to mrs with valet map
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #60
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Palm - I pity you and your dreadful dilemmas ;-)
Fascinating reading - cheers!
These dilemma's...they have me sleepless at nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Vicki did mention the SLK to me actually

Who knows if fuel prices come down a bit, come summer I may have some test drives in a RS5...........then the TT could be up for grabs lol.

Anyhow Andrew, thank you for saying about Porsche suspension. Too many people have looked at me blank when I've said that they are comfortable on a long run, even the little Cayman S. Long run I mean south of France, Le Mans and the fantastic holiday to Alsace & Stuttgart in the Turbo.

Again, for me anyhow, it comes back to some of the cost of a Porsche. It's the bits you don't see where the 'money' is. The materials they use etc.
Behave - it's out of her price range!

The suspension is sublime - nothing like it. Rides far too well for something that corners so flat. Will be very hard indeed to better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
thanks Andrew
now if you sell a few more phones.......
http://www.outwoodcars.com/vehicle.asp?ID=137
its got your name all over it!
check out the 928 on their website
http://www.outwoodcars.com/vehicle.asp?ID=116
I'll need to sell a bit more than a few phones...maybe the Mrs?

The 928 is more like in my league - I so wish they'd make a modern day equivalent as it's just the sort of car that would be right up my street...a stylish sports car with edges filed off to give it a bit of refinement.

Quote:
Actually Palmnuts or his Mrs actually, hit on another thing.

Driving it is very very easy. Around town - stick it in D, and it's effortless, but on A-roads and on the edge (i went to Millbrook in mine for CATDT training), on the paddles, it's still easier to drive than a 911.

When i get mine to 580-600bhp, as much as i love 991 T's (more so the S) i can't see me switching up. The next level up is a Ferrari 458! (Palmnuts? )
Yes, the GTR was probably the easiest 'supercar' to drive that I know - although my experience is limited to my a couple of 911s, a Maserati Granturismo S, Aston V8V and Audi R8.

The GTR is probably the car that I could drive the quickest with the least effort.

458 I wish....but they're more than a bit rich for me!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #61
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Totally concur with everything MrS3 has said. I utterly adored mine and will most certainly have another one, one fine day. Funnily enough I came across some of the video footage from the Ring trip the other day and bought back some very fond memories!!! And just ask Big Ed how comfy the rear seats are!!! Certainly held him in place coming out of the Carousel sideways pushing 130mph!!! Epic car. We certainly had fun eh Carlos!!!???

Last edited by Hoops; 01-30-2011 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #62
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
oh and if you're gonna map it...the COBB Accessport lets you change maps from the steering wheel controls while driving! Up to 9 maps i think.

So you can give to mrs with valet map
Lol, so the 'non crackable' car now has switchable maps
      01-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #63
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Lol, so the 'non crackable' car now has switchable maps
Not sure where you got "non crackable" from, but there is no way of flashing/chipping the car without Nissan knowing.

i.e you risk your warranty even by using the valet mode of the COBB (although the boost logs will show you haven't done anything crazy so 'should' be okay) and even more so with a proper custom map
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #64
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure where you got "non crackable" from, but there is no way of flashing/chipping the car without Nissan knowing.
Think he means when Nissan were developing the GTR it's emissions, etc, blew the tough Japanese regulations out of the water, but the Government let it be made as some kind of 'flag-ship' for the Country on the agreement that IT COULD NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY.

Rather predictably it can be modified in MANY ways .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #65
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Think he means when Nissan were developing the GTR it's emissions, etc, blew the tough Japanese regulations out of the water, but the Government let it be made as some kind of 'flag-ship' for the Country on the agreement that IT COULD NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY.

Rather predictably it can be modified in MANY ways .
Ah right i see

Still not chipped mine fwiw. It be plenty fast as it is!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #66
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Still not chipped mine
...don't feel too left out, you've probably got some stone-chips due to the wafer-thin paint (a problem with the 350Z too & probably the 370Z) .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0