E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Headlight question!

11-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Headlight question!

Hi Guys,

I have an E92 335i and i was just wondering what the projector closest to the grill (the inside projector) did?

On mine, it doesn't seem to do anything at all? The outside projector in the headlight is obviously for the main beam and dipped beam, but the inside projector doesn't seem to do anything?

Also, not sure if this is related, but is there anyway to turn the angel eyes completely off? When i put the headlight switch to "0" the angel eyes go bright, then if i turn it to dipped beam or sidelights the angel eyes dim a bit.

Is this normal? I thought the "0" setting should kill all light from the headlight?

EDIT: I'm being a special - forgot you have the option to turn off DRL's in the iDrive menu! Anyway, does anyone know what the inside portion of the headlight does (ie. not the xenon projector)?

Last edited by Subzero2003; 11-04-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Sandwich_Dan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex-E92 335i

The projector closest to the grille doesn't act as a light at all. The bulb for the angel eyes sits in there, but most of the bulb sits behind the reflector and the tip is painted to stop the light projecting forwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

As above. However, if you have adaptive lighting it also houses the low speed cornering lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

The dimming effect is normal operation.

If you want to get rid of the yellow Angel Eyes for a whiter light like the new BMWs then check out the Arc Angels we stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

The inside halogen is for "headlight flash" on a xenon equipped car, as the xenons would not like to be flashed on and off in such a short space of time or they are for adaptive headlights if you have them.
      11-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
The inside halogen is for "headlight flash" on a xenon equipped car, as the xenons would not like to be flashed on and off in such a short space of time or they are for adaptive headlights if you have them.
Are you sure?

Most bi-Xenons have a mechanical blind that clicks up out of the way to give the high beam effect.
Thus the gas lamps are running all of the time.
You can hear this clunk from the front of the car
      11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

I may have been unclear, I meant headlight flash when the lights are off e.g. when you see your mate!, then the inner halogens will light. I understand the concept with the shutter being raised to give you high beams with the xenons but could you imagine trying to flash the xenon for a split second, it would barely have fired up!