E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Mobile Upgrade Time

01-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Mobile Upgrade Time

Well my HTC HD2 is due for upgrade and I cant decide.

Just wondering from the apple / android fans out there what are your thoughts on what to go for.

I'm stuck between the S2 and 4S.

Any feedback would be good

thanks
      01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

HTC Sensation XE with beats audio.

You get nice earphones in the package too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

There is also a New Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

The gadget show put it up against quite a few of the big hitters such as the iPhone 4s and it won.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
For me, it depends how much of a 'techie' you are. Everyone single 'non-techie' person I know that has had an android phone has ended up getting rid of it and getting an iPhone. You just can't beat how slick it does everything.

My 'geekier' friends like their android handsets because they either have some beef with Apple or want to customise it to the nth degree and don't like how tied down the iOS is.

Personally, I have to use both, an GalaxyS from work and an iPhone4 as my personal phone. The Galaxy has better battery life but just isn't a patch on the iPhone in every other department. But that's probably because I can't be bothered to spend days frigging around with it getting it set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
The other thing to consider is 2nd hand value - I got like £150 for my 18 month old 3GS on ebay when I got my new iPhone4, whereas old android phones are worth pennies........So although iPhones are more expensive, the TCO is worth thinking about........
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Is it really worth thinking about getting a few quid extra back after 18 or 24 months?

I have nothing against Apple at all. Their customer service was second to none and I had to use it often enough, but I was lost without features and functions that my old phones had years ago.

I was desperate to give up my iphone4 and managed to end the contract after 7 months.
I
I don't understand your techie comment. My Android phone works out of the box. I don't need apps for this and that. I much prefer having things as close to they are on my pc and that's what the phone offers.

I guess it all depends what you use the phone for.

Mostly I use it for the internet or listening to music and on both accounts the difference in speed and quality is huge. I don't think there is the slightest of arguments in that.

I've never read a review that put the iphone4 ahead of the S2 in every department. Many reviews seem to say quite the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

A few reviews of the HTC sensation XE.

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Apple-...C-Sensation-XE

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1038353/review
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Well its all down to personal opinion I guess, and as you say, exactly what you use the phone for.
For me, the iPhone is miles ahead - the camera takes better pictures, the screen is sharper, the touchscreen is more responsive, I already use iTunes for my music, so sync is perfect ... i could go on.

My techie comment is purely on the people I know that have the respective devices and do/don't like them, just my personal experience from maybe 20-30 people I know nothing else. I'm sure others have different experiences.

What kind of missing features from old phones are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

My old Nokia N900 supported loads of different media formats. Again the internet worked and displayed better but the touchscreen was crap.

If I'm away from the house or there is football screened on the internet that's not on sky, I stream them on the phone. The old Nokia was fine for that and so is Android phones.

I like all the media video side of things and web content.

I also like the fact this phone can run multiple heavy tasks without freezing and pausing. Maybe the 4s has enough power but the 4 does not.

On paper the 4s is much slower than the high end offerings from other makers.

I just wish more people would try a high end Android phone as too many people bundle all Android phones into the same. There is good and bad ones unlike there is only one iPhone.

Last edited by Kerr; 01-04-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr
My old Nokia N900 supported loads of different media formats. Again the internet worked and displayed better but the touchscreen was crap.

If I'm away from the house or there is football screened on the internet that's not on sky, I stream them on the phone. The old Nokia was fine for that and so is Android phones.

I like all the media video side of things and web content.

I also like the fact this phone can run multiple heavy tasks without freezing and pausing. Maybe the 4s has enough power but the 4 does not.

On paper the 4s is much slower than the high end offerings from other makers.

I just wish more people would try a high end Android phone as too many people bundle all Android phones into the same. There is good and bad ones unlike there is only one iPhone.
You can very easily stream tv content on an iPhone using tv catch up giving you access to the majority of freebies channels.

OP you are always going to get conflicting views as it is a matter of self opinion. It comes down to what you need it for. I have and live my iPhone 4 as I have everything apple (iPad, MacBook, iMac etc) and everything is seamlessly linked together in a way that an android phone could never do.

If you ar familiar with Apple products the iPhone is very intuitive and is a lot more capable following updates to ios and the app store has everything you could ever need

I would suggest going to a shop and playing around wit both for a while and see why suits you best.

I also agree re the handset value at the end of the contract. It's nice to know you can get over £150 for a 2 year old phone
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonl1983 View Post
You can very easily stream tv content on an iPhone using tv catch up giving you access to the majority of freebies channels.

OP you are always going to get conflicting views as it is a matter of self opinion. It comes down to what you need it for. I have and live my iPhone 4 as I have everything apple (iPad, MacBook, iMac etc) and everything is seamlessly linked together in a way that an android phone could never do.

If you ar familiar with Apple products the iPhone is very intuitive and is a lot more capable following updates to ios and the app store has everything you could ever need

I would suggest going to a shop and playing around wit both for a while and see why suits you best.

I also agree re the handset value at the end of the contract. It's nice to know you can get over £150 for a 2 year old phone
I'm not talking about catch up tv, I'm talking about streams broadcast over the internet on sites such as first row sports or Celtic TV. They all require flash player.

Demand for Apple phones is good for keeping values up. You will probably find though that the contract terms and payment up front is going to be higher than most if not all of the competition.

The iPhone is always more expensive on similar contracts to phones I considered. It's only about £5 a month but if you want a 4s with bigger memory you will either need to make a reasonable contribution to the phone cost or go for a 24 month contract.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
jjbirch530d
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

i have just moved from years of nokia phones to Apple and i must say the phone itself is great but the signal is very poor some goes from 2 barrs to nothing very easy, when talking it goes very patchy,if your in a strong coverage area great but if not look at other phones
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I've got an iPhone 4 for work and an HTC Desire something or other for personal. If you ask me there's nothing in it. I consider myself part techie but I use mainly apple computers and integration of either phone with my computers, cars etc has never been a problem. Both do the same stuff in more or less the same manner.

When it comes down to my personal phone the decision is normally based purely on price. I will get the best phone that's free on the contract that suits my needs best. I don't see the point in paying hundreds for something that stands such a good chance of getting dropped, sat on, a drink spilled over it, stolen etc... and bugger paying for insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

got the Galaxy S2 & the 4s (bought em off the guys on here) & having used both I would pick the 4S. Both very good at what they do but prefer the size of the 4S personally.

Not "that" comfortable using it everyday as I do a manual job & ruined a few phones/screens with keys in my pocket etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

iPhone 4S is the right choice....it is a very good piece of kit and pretty much rectifies the wrongs of the 4 in every way. Only a lack of flash player for browsing could could problems but it rarely causes issues as fewer and fewer sites seem to be using flash.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

interesting points reading up right now on android there really is only two the new nexus from samsung and the s2. Both being top of the market. The Nexus really wins on screen but S2 has the power.

I agree the Ipohone is great but too lock down for my like. I currently use the HD2 Windows 6.5 and have customized and set it to do what I want plus have full tomtom on it with all maps I need and I can customise that a well. Plus hate the small screen on Iphone even my 2year old HD2 has larger screen.

Ok android has no tomtom but has copilot and I can also continue to customize that as I need it.
The S3 shoudl be announced in next couple of weeks and I think that will tell me the final choice. I like the iphone fluid OS but prefer the freedom of android as sure enough if it doesn't do something out of box someone will customise it if not I can probably do it myself. If only TOMTOM would pull their finger out and get the app out for it.
      01-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

If you need satnav again the maps with navigation on HTC Sensation XE is brilliant.

Search for something and it comes up with all the details you need. You get all the contact details, photos, google street view and links to review sites such as trip advisor.
O
I use my phone for music in the car as the sound is better than genuine CDs(yes sounds odd but the beats sounds works) and it works well filtering in and out music over sat nav commands.

No problems the passenger using the internet on top of the music and satnav all running at the same time.

Head to head I'd pick the HTC sensation XE over Galaxy S2 as do most reviews. Not tried the new Nexus yet but the latest Android software does sound good.

If you like screen size HTC do the Sensation XL but it's not so good. The massive screen and beats sounds is its selling points as none of the rest matches the XE by a margin.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #18
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks been doing some web walking and seems its currently between the HTC XL , XE or Nexus and S2 these are regarded as top models. With the XE more focused on music and nexus showcasing the latest screen. The CES is on in couple of weeks so the new S3 should be announced which will have the screen of the nexus and more power. So will wait and see whats announced.

Currently aiming at the S2 unless the S3 proves so much higherm the iphone is just too inflexible for me
      01-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I'm an apple user, have macs and macbooks, have an iPad and have been using and iphone for the last few years since the 3g came out.
Good phone, but can feel a bit locked down at times, however, still very, very slick.

I would consider a swap, but everything accessory wise is always based on the iPhone, how many car makers do you see offering HTC integration for example? Or Samsung integration? Look on Pioneers site or Alpines, if you have an iPhone you're fine, use something else and you will get very limited connectivity if anything at all.

So for me I tend to stick with apple as I know the latest and greatest toys will work with it more than the actual phone itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #20
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

I don't have an iPod or USB in my car. Just plug through aux where the Beats software is active.

I had a 320d on loan during the week with USB port. Plugging my phone through USB it gave control over all my music files.

What does the iPhone connection do on top of that?

I bought a Denon hifi as a gift this Xmas for the girlfriend. Part of the reason is it had made for iPhone on the box and reviews said that the hifi has it's own digital to analogue converter which improves the iPhones sound quality.

However the hifi allows better control of any phone connected through the USB on hard disk mode.

It works better through USB even though made for iPhone is plastered all over the box as it's selling point.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I don't know what it offers above and beyond what yours offered?
I just know that I can select by artist, playlist, album, alphabetically etc. when using the ipod cable, however when using a usb cable it just lets me browse by folder which is a nightmare.

I am just ordering an Alpine screen for mine, plug in the iphone and you can control the ipod via it, so it makes it seamless.
Media player, sat nav, google, etc.
Sure app mode for Android will start appearing soon too though.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

its a fair point but then listening music is a low priority for me as for the car I have a 32GB USB drive which has all my music on it and it makes it easier to manage on my current phone I have I think listened to music 3 times as hardly ever get chance to do so as never commute.