E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best wax/final polish, by hand, for black metallic

02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Best wax/final polish, by hand, for black metallic

Hey guys, so I wanted to do a nice small detail on my car in the garage while its sitting there.

What is everyone recommendation on a good wax and final polish to be applied by hand for black sapphire metallic?

The claying on the car is done, I just want to add a final polish by hand and throw a nice coat of wax on by hand.

Thanks!
      02-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Klasse, FTW...great product for dark cars. Really brings out the shine on my SGM and enhances the deep, deep color.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Klasse-M6/

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Lots of great options for you.

Polishes
The Klasse All In One (AIO) is a good polish and sealant in one bottle that clean, shines and protects.

I'd probably suggest a straight polish that doesn't protect, like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205, this will remove more of the surface imperfections and help you get that optically clear surface back so it's like new! Apply this with medium arm pressure in a circular motion for best results by hand.

Protection
Afterwards apply a coat of sealant or wax for protection. Sealants lasts much longer than a natural carnauba wax so I'd recommend a sealant for a daily driver. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection are two of my favorite sealants!

If you prefer a wax the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax is one of the best values out there! It looks great on dark paint and offers solid protection. If your budget is a bit more check out the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax Version 2 or the Chemical Guys Black Wax. Both of these are exceptional waxes and deliver outstanding results!

Lastly don't forget we have 20% off through 2/15 with the code VDAY13. If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Lots of great options for you.

Polishes
The Klasse All In One (AIO) is a good polish and sealant in one bottle that clean, shines and protects.

I'd probably suggest a straight polish that doesn't protect, like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205, this will remove more of the surface imperfections and help you get that optically clear surface back so it's like new! Apply this with medium arm pressure in a circular motion for best results by hand.

Protection
Afterwards apply a coat of sealant or wax for protection. Sealants lasts much longer than a natural carnauba wax so I'd recommend a sealant for a daily driver. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection are two of my favorite sealants!

If you prefer a wax the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax is one of the best values out there! It looks great on dark paint and offers solid protection. If your budget is a bit more check out the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax Version 2 or the Chemical Guys Black Wax. Both of these are exceptional waxes and deliver outstanding results!

Lastly don't forget we have 20% off through 2/15 with the code VDAY13. If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI

Awesome Greg, thanks for that.

I think im gonna go with the M205 polish and the poorboys wax.
What pads do I use with each. Working by hand again on my Black bmw.

Also, the M205 polish is a one step final polish correct? can just use that by hand and can throw wax on top of that no other polish. Just need something light polish that I can use by hand, nothing crazy.
I know a friend of mine told me to get the adams hand polishing kit, ( swirl and haze remover polish with the revive polish and buttery wax) but I think the setup you have shown me is better and cheaper.
      02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
While waiting for Greg to confirm, i use 205 as a last step final polish so i would say yes, that's your one and only step before wax. I am a big fan of isopropyl alcohol wipedowns before wax or sealant is applied just to make sure the paint is free of anything that might inhibit the wax or sealant bond to the paint and left behind from the polish step.
      02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5
While waiting for Greg to confirm, i use 205 as a last step final polish so i would say yes, that's your one and only step before wax. I am a big fan of isopropyl alcohol wipedowns before wax or sealant is applied just to make sure the paint is free of anything that might inhibit the wax or sealant bond to the paint and left behind from the polish step.
Thanks buddy! Yea i think i will def do the whipedown! Got a nice list of stuff to order from greg the fun begins
      02-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5 View Post
Just to add a bit of value on what pander5 was saying regarding the IPA....Look up Eraser by CarPro on the DI site. It cost more than a typical IPA but it is less harsh and absolutely no streaks when it flashes (especially on dark paint).
      03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

i've seen good things from auto finesse tripple. I plan on getting it once I'm low on my current products.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

I use DoDo Juice Purple Haze on my black sapphire metallic BMW. It works great ! Goes on very easy, and really brings out the metallic flake in the paint.

I just picked up Swissvax that is made for BMW paint, but have not applied it. I'll likely do that in another when I spring clean my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I'm a Meguiars fan but I am trying Blackfire Wet Diamond as soon as it gets warm out in NJ
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstir View Post
I use DoDo Juice Purple Haze on my black sapphire metallic BMW. It works great ! Goes on very easy, and really brings out the metallic flake in the paint.

I just picked up Swissvax that is made for BMW paint, but have not applied it. I'll likely do that in another when I spring clean my car.
isn't swissvax kind of expensive though?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
ArchiProf
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive E92

Garage List
I am hoping for a break in the rain to do a wash, clay, polish, and try the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish. Will post photos after completion of the process.

UPDATE: OK, we got a break in the rain so I washed the car and polished the trunk lid only due to rain forecast to return in a few hours. I applied the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish by hand since that is what you intend to do. I can definitely see the difference. The rain returned so I will try to finish the entire car next weekend and post photos. BTW, I used Meguiar's 205 polish and black foam pads to apply both products.

Last edited by ArchiProf; 04-01-2013 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
ArchiProf
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive E92

Garage List
Here are the results after applying Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish. Overall, I am pleased with the results.
Attached Images

04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

I have tried many of these polishes/waxes and always go back to my very favorite wax of all. IMHO Collinite Liquid 845 is simply amazing.

Hard to find in stores (some boat supply places carry it) but can easily be bought on line.

Great shine, depth of clarity, color enhancement, and amazing durability. Very inexpensive, ( a pint goes for around $15 bucks and is probably good for 8 uses) and goes on and off by hand as simply or even easier than quick detailer spray. This has no cleaning properties at all and is a high blend of carnuba and polymers. Car paint should be really deep cleaned before use.
Many pros uses this and it is the only wax that my detailer and bodyshop will use. Will easily last for six months. What is also special about this wax is that it is so slick that rain drops will not leave marks and your car actually looks freshly washed after a good rain. I also use this on alloy wheels as a sealant and to add some gloss and it works quite well for this application. I have been told that it can also be used on glass but I have never tried it.

Developed in early 1900's by Thomas Collins in upstate NY as an insulator for outdoor electric cables and later found to work great on boats, airplanes and eventually tested on cars. A super product that does what it claims to do and at a very reasonable (cheap) price. I have no connection at all to this company.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
CrazyNole21
Phizzle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

DodoJuice Supernatural makes my Montego Blue color pop and shine like no other. Great wax!!!

/BMS/Koni/H&R/Hotckis/MS/BBS RS-GT/
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNole21 View Post
DodoJuice Supernatural makes my Montego Blue color pop and shine like no other. Great wax!!!
Some like it and a lot of people hate it. I myself do not care for Dodo juice waxes unless they are from Bouncer's. Keep in mind wax is less than 10% of the look. Its all about the prep work that is what makes a car shine like no other.
      04-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Hey guys, just wanted to update this thread. I bought some Poorboys nattys blue paste wax and it worked amazing! Compared to meguairs, mothers, etc over the counter products. Made my paint look deep and wet, and made the metallic pop! Feels slick as hell aswell. Im really satisfied with the outcome of this product and for the price, can def not go wrong.
      04-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
CrazyNole21
Phizzle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Some like it and a lot of people hate it. I myself do not care for Dodo juice waxes unless they are from Bouncer's. Keep in mind wax is less than 10% of the look. Its all about the prep work that is what makes a car shine like no other.
Totally agree with you on that note. My car stays in the garage 100% of the time and never sees the rain so I don't use a sealant. My prep work is wash off old wax, clay bar, wash, sometimes a layer of Zymol cleaner wax, then 2 layers of Dodo Supernatural.

/BMS/Koni/H&R/Hotckis/MS/BBS RS-GT/
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNole21 View Post
Totally agree with you on that note. My car stays in the garage 100% of the time and never sees the rain so I don't use a sealant. My prep work is wash off old wax, clay bar, wash, sometimes a layer of Zymol cleaner wax, then 2 layers of Dodo Supernatural.
I would avoid using Zymol cleaner wax. Its rebranded turtle wax stuff. The good zymol stuff comes from their website.
      04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Keep in mind wax is less than 10% of the look. Its all about the prep work that is what makes a car shine like no other.

If the prep work (decon, correction, polishing) is done flawlessly, one would notice very little difference in looks between a middle of the road wax and a top tier wax. With everything being equal, asking which wax looks better is like asking which ice cream flavor is the best. A great deal of personal taste is involved so it is very subjective. Durability is a different issue all together.

Otruba_843.... I thought your avatar looks familiar. Nice to see another member of the geek here in E90post.
      04-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post

If the prep work (decon, correction, polishing) is done flawlessly, one would notice very little difference in looks between a middle of the road wax and a top tier wax. With everything being equal, asking which wax looks better is like asking which ice cream flavor is the best. A great deal of personal taste is involved so it is very subjective. Durability is a different issue all together.

Otruba_843.... I thought your avatar looks familiar. Nice to see another member of the geek here in E90post.
Yup yup yup. Im on AG too. The only differences I notice in LSP's is sealants have a slight wet look where as good quality waxes are a little more warm, lack a little wetness, but do offer more clarity. Some waxes I don't even have a visible improvement.
      09-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Iv tried loads of different polish and wax until one day I was given a free bottle of kleers finishing wax and my god is it good especially On black it gives the Car an amazing deep shine and it's a barging too for theresults you get. I'll get pics up soon.
Appreciate 0