E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

02-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #243
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

started the process of installing the retro-fit hardware. Noticed that I only have 3 fiber-optic cables to connect to the TCU- all color coded and connections matched to TCU, but no Blue coded cable in trunk! Also when I installed the FZD, I now get an ALert the sunroof is disabled, although the tilt function still works-Think I need to reinitialize
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #244
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
started the process of installing the retro-fit hardware. Noticed that I only have 3 fiber-optic cables to connect to the TCU- all color coded and connections matched to TCU, but no Blue coded cable in trunk! Also when I installed the FZD, I now get an ALert the sunroof is disabled, although the tilt function still works-Think I need to reinitialize
The FZDs are very model specific. When I bought a used one, it was from the wrong year and all it did was open with tilt, sometimes I'd be able to get it to open the roof 1/2 way but it never did work correctly. Returned it (luckily the person was cool about it because they didn't know what year that FZD went into), and got one that I was sure was for mine...worked 100% the first time, no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #245
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did the re-initialization process and that cleared the problem and the alert
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #246
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Tried that in mine, still wouldn't work. Glad it worked for ya!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #247
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did it with the engine running. Pressed the button "up" and held for 20 + seconds. Nothing happened for the first 10-15 sec, then the sunroof started to cycle through all the positons and returned to the closed position. Turned car off and restarted- Alert cleared and all functions worked correctly. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #248
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Let us know how you sort out the thing with the cables (assuming it isnt entirely fine how it is). Where did you get your TCU from? I've been looking on ebay motors but all I've found is tons of stuff with the 84.11... part number, usually for the 5 or 6 series - and I don't think those work on the 335 (but am not 100% sure).
      02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #249
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkr335 View Post
Let us know how you sort out the thing with the cables (assuming it isnt entirely fine how it is). Where did you get your TCU from? I've been looking on ebay motors but all I've found is tons of stuff with the 84.11... part number, usually for the 5 or 6 series - and I don't think those work on the 335 (but am not 100% sure).
I just got one for my 335 from there. I always just grab the part number from the picture and drop it in here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Then you can check exactly the vehicles it will fit in.

Parts that are discontinued don't mean that they won't work, just that there's a newer version.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #250
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Purchased all my hardware through Tischer. Jason matched the hardware requirements against my VIN and Build specs.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #251
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Purchased all my hardware through Tischer. Jason matched the hardware requirements against my VIN and Build specs.
Might check the previous page for the location of the emergency bluetooth antenna. I had to go through my dealer to find out where it's placed, and they had a tough time tracking it down as well. The actual manual page is up there.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #252
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
I bought a TCU module off a local member for $200CAD and asked my dealer to see if my MY06 Sept build will work with the TCU. I was provided with the TCU module, the bluetooth antenna and the mic when I bought it.

Since my car has Premium pack with the telephone prep (Canadian spec 328xi), they managed to get it to work. However, I was told I will get an error at startup because I don't have the overhead console with the SOS/telemetic button. The dealer is ordering me the trunk TCU holder, which is $25 to keep the module from moving in the trunk. Total cost, including the TCU that I sourced myself, plus labour will come to probably $850 CAD at my dealer. It is a 5 hour labour charge for the install and programming.

If I can get the overhead console with the SOS button, I would be able to get rid of the error, however, dealer quoted $600 for the part itself, plus install...etc.
The labour to install my Bluetooth system after the fact was 2.5 hours.

I have the roof unit which gives me BMW Assist. I use this for directions. You get 1 year free service.

It was expensive, but absolutely worth it!!!
Just curious what dealership installed this for you? I can't seem to get any help or info from my dealership here in Calgary.

Can you PM me your dealerships name and number?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #253
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Has anyone else run into this anomoly regarding the fiberoptics going to the TCU since all the DIYs I see discuss 4 cables or am I miss reading? :

"started the process of installing the retro-fit hardware. Noticed that I only have 3 fiber-optic cables to connect to the TCU- all color coded and connections matched to TCU, but no Blue coded cable in trunk!"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #254
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Just chatted with Savage BMW over the Live Chat available on their Web site. They told me that retrofitting Bluetooth to a 2011 335i sedan is "impossible". Of course, I didn't talk to Cesar Velasquez mentioned on the first page here (will try to call him in the morning). I wonder if it is because something has changed by MY 2011, or simply because the person I talked to didn't know the right answer.

It looks like it is the latter, since one of the things they told me is that if my car had Premium Package then it would be possible (???). This obviously just doesn't make any sense, since Premium Package already includes Bluetooth support, so the issue of retrofitting it wouldn't even arise...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #255
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Just chatted with Savage BMW over the Live Chat available on their Web site. They told me that retrofitting Bluetooth to a 2011 335i sedan is "impossible". Of course, I didn't talk to Cesar Velasquez mentioned on the first page here (will try to call him in the morning). I wonder if it is because something has changed by MY 2011, or simply because the person I talked to didn't know the right answer.

It looks like it is the latter, since one of the things they told me is that if my car had Premium Package then it would be possible (???). This obviously just doesn't make any sense, since Premium Package already includes Bluetooth support, so the issue of retrofitting it wouldn't even arise...
What has changed is that all of the newer models don't come pre-wired. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would take much more effort, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #256
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I checked the thread and didn't see anything so far, but pardon me if I missed it.

Has anyone successfully retrofitted a GSM TCU into an older E90 (2006) that only originally used CDMA TCU's?

I have one I want to retrofit into the car but I'm not 100% sure if I can use the GSM TCU in my car. Just wanted a little confirmation before I started tearing things apart.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #257
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 4/2007

TCU must be programing ????? help

I've just completed the hardware install for the Bluetooth retrofit.
canada 328i e90 4/2007 prep phone wired (SA640): TCU (84 10 9171348-01) 1.5 most US 07.01.2008
/Microphone/speaker/SOS-equipped light switch console/BT antenna and changed the wiring on the MOST junction.
So....
I : SOS BMW assist works but they can't hear me....
II : the phone BT doesn't work...
III : Nothing on my radio LCD and steering button doesn't work...

The question is : Coding/Programming is required by the dealer?????

Last edited by avatar83; 03-14-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #258
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar83 View Post
I've just completed the hardware install for the Bluetooth retrofit.
canada 328i e90 4/2007 prep phone wired (SA640): TCU (84 10 9171348-01) 1.5 most US 07.01.2008
/Microphone/speaker/SOS-equipped light switch console/BT antenna and changed the wiring on the MOST junction.
So....
I : SOS BMW assist works but they can't hear me....
II : the phone BT doesn't work...
III : Nothing on my radio LCD and steering button doesn't work...

The question is : Coding/Programming is required by the dealer?????
Yes, I'm pretty sure in all cases coding is required by the dealer. All the rest of the ECU's need to be told that the units are in the car and the retrofitted units needs have their coding updated to match your car's configuration.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #259
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure in all cases coding is required by the dealer. All the rest of the ECU's need to be told that the units are in the car and the retrofitted units needs have their coding updated to match your car's configuration.
What he said. My dealership quoted me $657 for programming but if you read through this thread some have gotten it for $150. It's been a while since I've researched, but I remember something about folks who do "audiologic" or "audiogalaxy" programming or something like that, which ends up programming your car for you for pretty cheap. Otherwise, there's a guy on these forums who will send you his programmer and program it online for you (through and internet connection)...forgot what his name is but he charges a bit more...still a lot less then what the dealer was trying to rape me for.

I created a somewhat "guide" to reprogramming here if you want to look at it. All you need to do is find a garage that does the J2534 reprogramming.

Good luck to ya
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #260
Registered
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Thanks Dracon... this is what I was thinking.
But I just bought a MULF HIGH for my USB 6LF retrofit kit. Everything is installed (cable/USB connector/USB HUB). The MULF should arrive this week by USPS. I need 10 minutes to install in my car and definitely must be coding anyway by BMW.
So... I will go to my dealer to recoding this 2 options in one shoot and saved $$$$.
Sorry for my english I am a fucking frensh guy
Thanks a lot for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #261
Registered
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
What he said. My dealership quoted me $657 for programming but if you read through this thread some have gotten it for $150. It's been a while since I've researched, but I remember something about folks who do "audiologic" or "audiogalaxy" programming or something like that, which ends up programming your car for you for pretty cheap. Otherwise, there's a guy on these forums who will send you his programmer and program it online for you (through and internet connection)...forgot what his name is but he charges a bit more...still a lot less then what the dealer was trying to rape me for.

I created a somewhat "guide" to reprogramming here if you want to look at it. All you need to do is find a garage that does the J2534 reprogramming.

Good luck to ya
Thanks tylerdurdon... this is what I was thinking.
But I just bought a MULF HIGH for my USB 6LF retrofit kit. Everything is installed (cable/USB connector/USB HUB). The MULF should arrive this week by USPS. I need 10 minutes to install in my car and definitely must be coding anyway by BMW.
So... I will go to my dealer to recoding this 2 options in one shoot and saved $$$$ or probably try to find a garage with computer.

Last edited by avatar83; 03-14-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #262
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar83 View Post
Thanks tylerdurdon... this is what I was thinking.
So... I will go to my dealer to recoding this 2 options in one shoot and saved $$$$ or probably try to find a garage with computer.
Pas de probleme, moi aussi mes mon Francais est terrible

Bonne chance!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #263
bmwstylexx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

So I'm 99% done with my bluetooth retrofit. I had Nivedh in Atl. code the car this past weekend while I was there but there was issues in the Most wiring that wouldn't allow the car to to connect to the tcu. After messing around with that today, the car now shows the phone and Bmw assist and can pair, connect and make calls...

The problem however, the microphone doesn't work. Noone can hear me when I try talking, and when I try pushing the phone button the car waits for and says "say a command" and then disconnects after it doesn't detect a response. I switched the FZD straight out of my other BMW and the microphone had worked fine there. Anyone know what issues might be preventing the mic from working now?

I have disconnected and reconnected, tried everything I could and nothing. I even put the bluetooth parts back in the other bmw and the microphone works fine in that car. Does the microphone have to be coded seperately to work? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #264
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Read this pdf in the section where it describes about the microphone pins needing to be re-arranged. The connector is on the right of the fuse box, on the lower side.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=29

Then look at these pictures:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...11&postcount=7

GL,
Jim
Appreciate 0