E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Clock keeps resetting and Heat/AC fan doesn't go to max

01-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Clock keeps resetting and Heat/AC fan doesn't go to max

No need to answer. I just wanted to post this somewhere as when I searched for this problem I didn't find anything and had to take it to a dealership.

The problem was one or two this, could be both that causes this to happen.
-Obviously this can happen if your using your electronics in the car for a long time or keep a light on etc., while the engine is off. I never do that so I can rule that out.

-In my case the "increase battery discharge" was caused due to lack of use of the car. Starting it up, where I am it's 10°-25°F (the cold doesn't help the battery at all) out and really just because school and work are so close by and not being able to recharge the battery (not letting it recuperate) from the engine start.
I was told by a local dealership it should be driven 15 miles a day for at least 3 days a week or get BMW battery charger: http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...00%20406%20881 .

Symptoms(Not trying to sounds liek a doctor here )
-Sometimes the seat heater doesn't work, in my case it did.
-The clock keeps resetting, this is due to the car trying to conserve as much battery as possible.
-The fan for the climate control won't spin much. You can hear this at higher fan speeds and lower fan speeds obviously feel it. Mine went I think 4 bars up and then you can here when I try to put the fan speed up faster it doesn't get louder.

Car is fine now, drove it for a little bit. Just as a side note, when I start my car from a cold start I let it sit there for about 30 seconds or till the are lowers it's idling RPM'S.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Oggie335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Thanks for this post. Really helped me out, my car just started doing this after not being driven during a really cold snap we had. Glad to see its not something worse
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie335i View Post
Thanks for this post. Really helped me out, my car just started doing this after not being driven during a really cold snap we had. Glad to see its not something worse
Forgot about this thread and glad it helped someone 2 years later. Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

i just started experiencing this a few weeks ago when i noticed my car struggled to start and then a few days later wouldn't start. i changed the battery and all is well with starting, but the clock still resets when i get back in the morning to start it. do you think i need to have the computer reset to tell it there's a new battery?
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0