E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW's new Voice Control System to be in all BMW models by late this year

06-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW's new Voice Control System to be in all BMW models by late this year

As featured on Homepage.

Beginning fall of this year, BMW will be introducing into its lineup a new voice control system. The new voice control system will take voice input from the driver for the I-Drive navigation system, as well as the BMW audio system.

The new voice control system will understand and be able to process a particular location/place, streets and #'s. It will also be able to take voice controls for controlling the audio system, allowing the driver to tell the system to choose music based on the genre, artist name, album name, or song name. These commands will work even on an external music player conected to the car.

OFFICIAL VIDEO OF VOICE CONTROL SYSTEM IN ACTION:

PRESS RELEASE

Said and Done: BMW's New Voice Control

Munich. Starting in September 2009, BMW is presenting a truly innovative, cutting-edge technology for voice control in the automobile allowing even more reliable and convenient operation and control of navigation systems and infotainment functions.

Introducing this new system, BMW is raising the driver/vehicle dialogue to a new level of excellence. For the first time, one single voice command is sufficient to completely transmit the driver's destination into the navigation system. The driver's verbal statement specifying the place, street and number is processed immediately by the system, all data going directly into the navigation unit.

BMW is also the first European car maker to offer voice recognition serving not only to choose the appropriate audio source, but also to find individual music titles. The BMW system monitors and interprets the user's voice commands regarding the type of music, the name of the artist, an album or an individual title, ensuring precise access to the audio program desired.

BMW's voice control makes the operation and control of all of BMW's latest navigation, communication and entertainment systems particularly reliable, safe, and convenient. User-friendly optimisation of the voice control function now enables the driver to use these extended options even more conveniently, without the slightest effort.

The new system comes in a wide range of languages and is available in Germany and Austria, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Great Britain, and the USA.

Unique solution the world over straight from the factory: BMW cars "understand" complete addresses and music requests.

Introducing optimised voice control into the market in all current models as of September 2009 in combination with BMW's optional navigation system Professional, BMW is once again setting standards in the simple and convenient control of navigation and entertainment systems fitted straight at the factory.

Following the full word destination entry introduced by BMW in 2006, the new system marks yet a further milestone in the rapid and precise selection of destinations. BMW is indeed the only car maker worldwide to offer a system able to "understand" a complete address entry. From now on the user no longer has to specify the place, street and number he is going to in individual steps, but is rather able to read out all this information in one, the entire message as a whole being covered and electronically processed by the system.

Should the driver, for example, read out the address "Berlin, Willy-Brandt-Strasse 1", his BMW will take him straight to the Federal Chancellery in the capital of Germany.

This new system also facilitates the process of choosing your favourite music program while driving. To do so, the system supports the specific search for audio files, following various criteria according to the user's choice. One option is to specify the type of music you desire, the artist, album or even the title of a specific song by voice control. The system then immediately presents the choice of audio files saved on the hard disc in a title list – and as of spring 2010, the system will even cover data files on a music player connected to the car.

Looking for the user's favourite song, BMW's voice control system also recognises several languages parallel to one another, finding, say, the English title of a song sung by a German artist without the slightest problem.

BMW voice control and BMW iDrive control: perfect combination of intuitive and safe function management.
Optimised voice control through BMW's new system makes a significant contribution to enhanced comfort and safety in road traffic. Activation of frequently used functions by voice control ideally supplements BMW's trendsetting iDrive control concept, offering the user the benefits of both systems all in one and ensuring largely intuitive operation of numerous vehicle and comfort functions, with the driver hardly having to take his eyes off the road. Hence, the driver is able to use the navigation and entertainment systems in his BMW quickly and efficiently, at the same time concentrating entirely on driving conditions and the traffic around him.

From the start the combination of BMW iDrive with voice control of a large number of commands ensures a supreme level of all-round efficiency. This efficiency has indeed been consistently optimised in the course of time, ranging from full-word entry in specifying destinations all the way to multi-modal control through voice control and the Controller in the latest generation of BMW iDrive. The driver is able to switch smoothly and without the slightest interruption from one entry mode to the other while performing the same process, with voice recognition remaining active for simultaneous use while making entries through the Controller.

This multi-mode operation may also be combined with new voice control functions enabling the driver to use his own particular style and mode of operation for functions he requires particularly often. To enter destinations into the navigation system quickly and in a routined manner, for example, the driver may first use voice control and then, through the Controller, call up specific information on sights and special stopovers along his route. He also has the option to pre-select the music program by voice control and then call up his favourite title at the touch of a button.

The system therefore adjusts in unique style to the user's personal preferences, offering the safest and most comfortable mode of operation under all conditions and in every situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

images of system in use:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
stuynet
Private
Rep
Drives: Wishing

Will this be a hardware upgrade or software?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

That's going to require substantial new hardware. It will most definitely not be downward capable.

You want it, you'll have to ante up for a new Bimmer.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
jollerbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E60 M5, 2004 M3 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuynet View Post
Will this be a hardware upgrade or software?
That's what I'm wondering too. For example: Will I with my 2009 iDrive with voice command be able to upgrade the software and get this new and improved voice command?
2004 E46 M3 CSL (SOLD)
2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
jollerbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E60 M5, 2004 M3 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
That's going to require substantial new hardware. It will most definitely not be downward capable.

You want it, you'll have to ante up for a new Bimmer.
If that's true I'd be steaming if I was the owner of a new 7-series...
2004 E46 M3 CSL (SOLD)
2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Sounds like a software upgrade to me...

Hard drive, processor, microphone and steering wheel controls should be the same. Plus, they just came out with all of this new hardware for the all new iDrive, I doubt they made substastincial changes for this new feature.

Now, will the dealership be willing to upgrade your software for free? Doubt it...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Hardware or software, either way this is system is sick

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

So, they just did what Acura has been doing since 2003 except the fact that the Acura system has more features and probably wont break.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Name me one time where any voice recognition software has ever worked accurately or has made something convenient.

You: Call Timothy.
Voice Recognition: Did you say, "Call Bethany?"
You: No. Call Timothy.
Voice Recognition: Did you say, "Call Dorothy?"
You: NO. Call Timothy!
Voice Recognition: Would you like to change the language to French?
You: NO!! CALL TIMOTHY!!!
Voice Recognition: Would you like to train the software so you can be understood more easily?
You: *take 5 seconds to dial the number*
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
sweet this will help alot
      06-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Name me one time where any voice recognition software has ever worked accurately or has made something convenient.

Voice Recognition: Would you like to train the software so you can be understood more easily?
Haha as cool as this new system sounds, I have a feeling the above will take place to some extent.
2009 Merc C-350: AMG package, loaded
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman4 View Post
Haha as cool as this new system sounds, I have a feeling the above will take place to some extent.
yea i bet it will. specially with all the weird names people are coming up with.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Hilarious, and so true.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

I'd be more interested in seeing the double stitched leather dash introduced across all models as in the pictures.........
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
googoomas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 155mph (Stupid Limiter)

Bad ass, hopefully its a software thing...

2016 MBM f30 320i - Gone
2015 BSM/Black f15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport - Current
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:

It was true maybe 10 years ago. In modern world, speech recognition with 90%+ precision is something a team of grad students can do for extra course credits... Advanced modern systems can go as far as measure the level of anxiety or satisfaction, detect deception, or tell where you grew up based on your accent.

I am not saying BMW made a system that works flawlessly, but they could, probably fairly easily. I hope they break their tradition of using old tech in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
So, they just did what Acura has been doing since 2003 except the fact that the Acura system has more features and probably wont break.
the voice recognition in the 2009 tsx i drove was worse than the system in my 08 x5 imo the x5 can do a decent job whereas the tsx was dumbfounded and needed a button to be pressed every 5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
the voice recognition in the 2009 tsx i drove was worse than the system in my 08 x5 imo the x5 can do a decent job whereas the tsx was dumbfounded and needed a button to be pressed every 5 seconds.
my brother has an MDX and he rarely uses his....he says its too frustrating!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Very cool. I've often wished I could skip to particular songs on MP3 CDs, where I don't know the track #. But I have a hard enough time sometimes getting my car to understand basic commands.

A couple of things Acura/Honda does, that I wish my BMW does, when you press the button for a voice command -- it beeps immediately (not after a brief pause, like my car), it not only mutes the radio but also temporarily turns down the HVAC fan so it can hear you better, and it has tons of commands for everything from climate control to restaurant types to "What time is it?" The BMW voice command, at least for my 06, is primitive in comparison.
      06-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #21
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
You do have to repeatedly press a button to respond to it but the system is much more advanced that what i know of iDrive.

You have access to the Climate Control, Phone (Different button), General settings, Audio and Navigation through the same interface. As BK said, it also responds instantly to the button and tones down other sounds so it can hear you.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #22
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
my brother has an MDX and he rarely uses his....he says its too frustrating!
We have two Acura's with similar systems and they seem to be very accurate. The only thing that i can say is that the TL had problems initially and the dealers replaced a part in it (Microphone, i think?) and that made it much better. Your brother might want to get his checked...

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0