E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Will I pass tailpipe with catless downpipes?

12-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Will I pass tailpipe with catless downpipes?

I want to a car that passes smog in Texas, which means I just have to pass a tailpipe sniffer and ODB-2 reader.

Can I do this with catless downpipes - AR, specifically? Or do I need to spend the change on catted downpipes?
      12-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Austin requires you to pass the tailpipe sniffer? Are you sure?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Presumably you're running a tune. If JB4 or Cobb (or others), it should suppress the check engine light.

However, to pass the OBDII check, the systems will have to show "readiness" and you'll need a dp fix (essentially, a 02 simulator that will indicate that you still have your cats and that they are operating properly).

DP Fix is available from several vendors active on this forum.

Nei
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Presumably you're running a tune. If JB4 or Cobb (or others), it should suppress the check engine light.

However, to pass the OBDII check, the systems will have to show "readiness" and you'll need a dp fix (essentially, a 02 simulator that will indicate that you still have your cats and that they are operating properly).

DP Fix is available from several vendors active on this forum.

Nei
Not true in TX. We're allow 1 not ready which can be the the cat system. All you have to do is turn the cat codes off with a cobb or bbflash and get the other systems to ready. I just passed a few weeks ago with aftermarket downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team503 View Post
I want to a car that passes smog in Texas, which means I just have to pass a tailpipe sniffer and ODB-2 reader.
I have never been in TX and within 3 minutes of seeing this question I found the regulations,

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...ionTesting.htm

you only require to pass the sniffer if your car is 1995 or older…so you just need to pass the OBD-II readiness, which means you will need the downpipe fixers even with high flow catted downpipes, they have been known to throw codes
Best bet is to go cat-less and at the same time install the downpipe Fix, then check if all readiness are set, and adjust accordingly if they are not
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Someone should tell the inspection shops. I've been in Austin since 2000 and I'm pretty sure the place I go to has stuffed a sniffer in the tailpipe of every car I've brought in since emission testing became mandatory here. Model years ranged from 2002-2012, which only require OBD-II scan according to that page. They also failed me a couple years ago when the tint laws changed and I was all of a sudden 5% over the limit on the front door windows. I had to rip the tint off and go through again. Maybe they're just overly thorough

Either way, I bought Cobb catted 2 weeks ago since the stock IS exhaust note/volume is music to my ears and I didn't want to mess with it much. I'll hopefully install this weekend, inspection is due next month. I'll ask them what's up if they sniff it again.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
Not true in TX. We're allow 1 not ready which can be the the cat system. All you have to do is turn the cat codes off with a cobb or bbflash and get the other systems to ready. I just passed a few weeks ago with aftermarket downpipes.
Fair enough.

In DC all systems -- including cats -- need to show readiness

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, I run Cobb catted downpipes and they still throw cat codes. If your county requires that all the monitors are ready you'll need the dpfix. If they allow 1 not ready then you can pass without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
RSL
Captain
Rep

Well that sucks, thanks for the heads up. I know some of them do, but couldn't find anyone running the Cobbs, so i figured I'd give them a shot. What codes are yours throwing? Pretty sure Travis allows 1 not ready, but maybe I should get the inspection done tomorrow while the stock DPs are still on since it's due so soon anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Well that sucks, thanks for the heads up. I know some of them do, but couldn't find anyone running the Cobbs, so i figured I'd give them a shot. What codes are yours throwing? Pretty sure Travis allows 1 not ready, but maybe I should get the inspection done tomorrow while the stock DPs are still on since it's due so soon anyway.
It throws the same code as catless. That monitor is super sensitive!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
RSL
Captain
Rep

Thanks. Just wanted to follow up, passed inspection today (Travis County). Stock downpipes are still on, but my tune has the cat efficiency codes disabled (29F4 and 29F5) anyway. I didn't feel like reflashing to enable and then have to do a drive cycle. All monitors were ready except catalyst because of the disabled codes. I think allowing 1 monitor not ready on 1996 and newer (even catalyst) is a statewide thing.

I didn't see them do a sniffer this time, so I didn't ask, but it surely would've failed without cats had they done one. Long story short, catted if sniffer test, no cats if no sniffer test and cat codes disabled with either should be fine as long as all other monitors are ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
boost junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sweet thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

So to clarify a bit:

In Texas, exhaust regs for passing inspection vary on a per county basis. You need to check your local municipality for what is and isn't legal. Some shops will apply the strictest standards in a CYA move, some will do only the bare legal minimum.

Personally, I want to pass with a clear sheet - meaning no "Not Ready" codes.

Can a Cobb AP3 do this (I'm either running to Cobb this afternoon to buy one or picking one up off the for sale forums)? Do I need something else to accomplish clearing/not reporting those Not Ready codes?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb to N54 tuning.
      12-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

I am also in Austin, TX (Round Rock) and I passed fine with a DP fix in Williamson County which is more strict than Travis County. They will only sniff if your cats show not ready. I keep a scan tool in my car so I can check readiness before I go for inspection. You will not pass a sniff, even with high flow cats.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
RSL
Captain
Rep

Team503, Cobb will not ready the cats itself. AP can disable the cat efficiency codes, which makes the catalyst show as not ready. If your AP tune doesn't disable the cat codes, the cat will show ready, but may toss an MIL light on hi-flow catted DPs and definitely will without cats. If you want to be able to pass everything in the strictest terms on aftermarket DPs, go for race cats, cat codes enabled in your tune (all Stage 2 and race maps have them disabled by default) and if they throw a code, you will need a DP fix as mentioned above. That will allow cats to go ready and you'd pass a sniffer test if needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

You'd be able to pass both an OBDII scan and a sniffer test with catless downpipes provided you had the stock midpipe cats and a dp fix.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Team503, Cobb will not ready the cats itself. AP can disable the cat efficiency codes, which makes the catalyst show as not ready. If your AP tune doesn't disable the cat codes, the cat will show ready, but may toss an MIL light on hi-flow catted DPs and definitely will without cats. If you want to be able to pass everything in the strictest terms on aftermarket DPs, go for race cats, cat codes enabled in your tune (all Stage 2 and race maps have them disabled by default) and if they throw a code, you will need a DP fix as mentioned above. That will allow cats to go ready and you'd pass a sniffer test if needed.
I believe that you are wrong about Cobb making the cats ready. I have been running Catless on Cobb for the past 3 years with no issue passing emissions in NC. NC uses OBDII so they are checking if they Cats are ready and I have never had an issue passing. I only use Cobb and I do not have the DP Fix installed. I just passed again earlier this week. I have have the secondary Cats still installed. I also do not throw any codes and I have not lights on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
RSL
Captain
Rep

All OTS Stage 2 and race maps (and probably custom maps for catless) disable cat codes, which will eliminate CEL, but not allow catalyst to go ready. It's a matter of fact. Most states seem allow 1 system to not be ready. Some states don't allow that 1 system to be catalyst though, some will do the sniff test instead if catalyst shows not ready and some do mandatory OBD-II and sniff test.

Are the cat codes disabled in your map? Do you have your inspection sheet and does it list M/I systems ready/not ready? Does it show catalyst ready? Did you pass a sniffer test with just mid-cats or just the OBD-II scan test? My guess is your catalyst shows not ready and you didn't have a sniffer test. Passing for your area is passing, but that doesn't mean cats are ready or emissions are actually within legal limits.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
All OTS Stage 2 and race maps (and probably custom maps for catless) disable cat codes, which will eliminate CEL, but not allow catalyst to go ready. It's a matter of fact. Most states seem allow 1 system to not be ready. Some states don't allow that 1 system to be catalyst though, some will do the sniff test instead if catalyst shows not ready and some do mandatory OBD-II and sniff test.

Are the cat codes disabled in your map? Do you have your inspection sheet and does it list M/I systems ready/not ready? Does it show catalyst ready? Did you pass a sniffer test with just mid-cats or just the OBD-II scan test? My guess is your catalyst shows not ready and you didn't have a sniffer test. Passing for your area is passing, but that doesn't mean cats are ready or emissions are actually within legal limits.

NC does not use a sniff test. Many states use the same OBDII emission testing that NC uses and I am passing along this information to help others out because we can pass just using Cobb. I am sure that my emissions are not within the legal limit but for the state that I live in they don't check that.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
RSL
Captain
Rep

I get that and we all appreciate input, but you said you believe Cobb readies the cat M/I system on presumably catless maps, which is incorrect. I was just trying to clarify for the benefit of others that might read this thread
Appreciate 0