E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question about AC/Heat control

03-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Question about AC/Heat control

Hi all, I have a question about how to control the AC in 2006 325i
I'm new to this car and didnt use AC much since winter is so cold (I use Heat and it work fine). However, weather just changed recently and I have to turn on the AC, and notice it doesnt work somehow. All I feel is the wind outside blow into the car through the air vein. This is what I have in the set up. Low the temp down to 60F but still feel no AC at all. Its hot

I guess I must put it in the wrong mode. Pls show me how to make the AC works. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

That mode should work, I tend to just hit 'auto' on mine and set the temp a little higher. But it sounds like your AC isn't working which is not unusual for a car of that age. Take it to a mechanic and they'll tell you if you are just down on refrigerant or have some other major issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

yeah, I think it has something wrong with the AC system. Since Heat is fine so I guess the control unit is quite OK.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have a question about those 3 sections where I mark number 1, 2, and 3

Number 1 is just the position where you want the AC/Heat flow to, right? From bottom up, toward you, and from top down to bottom? Is it what they mean?

Number 2 is the one I'm quite not sure. The circular with A means you dont want the air from outside flow inside your car. And the circular without A means air will flow into your car?

Number 3 is the AC right? If there is no green light on the winter snow icon, it means you just have the fan working without AC. And with the green light means you are on AC?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
djbordie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 323i

number 1 and 3 correct.

number 2 ive been wondering myself since i got the car LOL
maybe we should read our manuals?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Carl64
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Number 2 controls the air re-circulation. The setting with the 'a' stands for automatic re-circulation - the car has air quality sensor in it and if it detects contaminants will automatically switch to using inside air only. The setting without the a always just recirculates inside air.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Change the vent flow to the one that shows straight to your face and for sure you will feel the airflow. If its not cold enough you may have to re-charge your AC with freon.

On a different note: Your radio display looks bad due to a bad pixelation. Mine shows a little fading on one side and it seems to get worst with heat during the day. Anyone knows how to stop this? I will search on it...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl64 View Post
Number 2 controls the air re-circulation. The setting with the 'a' stands for automatic re-circulation - the car has air quality sensor in it and if it detects contaminants will automatically switch to using inside air only. The setting without the a always just recirculates inside air.
Thanks for your explanation
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Change the vent flow to the one that shows straight to your face and for sure you will feel the airflow. If its not cold enough you may have to re-charge your AC with freon.

On a different note: Your radio display looks bad due to a bad pixelation. Mine shows a little fading on one side and it seems to get worst with heat during the day. Anyone knows how to stop this? I will search on it...
do you know how much it cost to charge the AC freon? and where to charge it?

And yeah, my audio screen unit is a little bit fading in right corner :-(

In additional to my AC problem. Our car has 4 air vein total by the dash, right? 3 of mine dont have the COOL blow when AC is on, the only one I can feel a little bit of Cool is the far right air vein by the passenger side. If the AC freon is out, are they all out in 4 air vein?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

You will want to take it to a shop and have them recharge with freon with dye in it, that way you can find and fix the leak if there is one. Worse case is you need a new AC compressor, which will be big $, but most likely is you have a minor freon leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
You will want to take it to a shop and have them recharge with freon with dye in it, that way you can find and fix the leak if there is one. Worse case is you need a new AC compressor, which will be big $, but most likely is you have a minor freon leak.
Yeah, I think it must be leaking somewhere cuz my dad's van is from 1998 and the AC is still working great.
Do you have any clue how much they charge to fix the leak and charge the freon? I just want to see the estimate so I can get the money in hand ready. Thanks
Appreciate 0