E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stage 1 starting assistance on a DD

05-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Mrida335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Stage 1 starting assistance on a DD

Hi guys just some background to start before anyone flames me with the search button (which by the way returns a lot of sh*!)

Recently picked up a 2010 e90 335....yes! I came out of an STi so I speak suby pretty fluently but my German is def still lacking. This car is my daily driver and I plan on a very modest amount of bolt on modding. First on my list is a Cobb Ap because well.... I know how to use it from the STi. My second and third purchases however I am having trouble zeroing in on. I want a FMIC and possibly an intake.... Leaving exhaust stock for now. Keep in mind this car probably will see the track once a year if that.

Bang for buck vs quality and fitment are my deciding factors on an FMIC. Any good recommendations? I have been leaning towards the Cobb Ap+FMIC combo because again it's what i know from having a pretty frighin fast STi. That's an $1800 or so dollar investment. If shaving a few hundreds off means loss of quality I'm not interested but am looking at recommend options.

So please hammer away. Your input is appreciated.

-Mark
2002 745i - Kalahari Beige
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Good choice going with COBB. Hit up @JEFF@topgearsolutions , he will give you the best price shipped overnight. He is also a great guy to work with. Don;t buy the AP from COBB as it is much more expensive.

now with regards to the intercooler, there is a lot of choices. I personally have experience with ETS. I had the ETS 7" and it worked great. My IATs would say flat throughout a 3rd gear run. it is may be 200$ cheaper than COBB. With that said it does require cutting (which is not a big deal).

COBB's intercooler is great, so is Helix.

Get a drop in as intake for now. the paper one is crap.

Stock intercooler is pure crap as well.

Hope you have E85 around where you live
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Mrida335
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Marv. Good look on TopGear. I will be giving them a call shortly. Lol oh ya I took a look in that black little box and was like WTF is that filter ? Even when in was in the STi forums the Cobb would always sell AP's so much cheaper through distributers vs on there own site.... anyways I'll def check out the ETS front mount. I got my car up the other day for the first time and saw how small the IC was..... so strange but then again the STi had it on the top of the motor so I am no stranger to a little bumber trim for a FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrida335 View Post
Thanks Marv. Good look on TopGear. I will be giving them a call shortly. Lol oh ya I took a look in that black little box and was like WTF is that filter ? Even when in was in the STi forums the Cobb would always sell AP's so much cheaper through distributers vs on there own site.... anyways I'll def check out the ETS front mount. I got my car up the other day for the first time and saw how small the IC was..... so strange but then again the STi had it on the top of the motor so I am no stranger to a little bumber trim for a FMIC.
Jeff is a hell of a guy! I suggest the ER with hard piped lower intercooler pipe. Congress add a kit and is bullet proof!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Mrida335
Private First Class
Rep

The ER kit is really nice.... def looks like its very complete and with options it turns into a true BMW purchase
But very sick.... hmmm mind is racing.... i just got my quarterly bonus and i feel my wallet getting lighter quick. Whats the deal with the optional shroud ? is it needed for a DD or just a pretty trick want ? Any issues with these FMIC's impacting the radiator cooling ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Welcome and congrats. I have Cobb as well as one of the major piggyback tunes for this car and honestly the Cobb is great. There are also very helpful members on here like @marv85 to help and provide input with this platform. I also have the ETS FMIC, but the 5" version. The build quality was fantastic and Jeff from TopGear was great to work with. The smaller size didn't require any trimming (not that it's a big deal if it does).
      05-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Still waiting on test results from the new version VRSF 7" intercooler... I have it on my car but never dyno'd or dragged it. I don't know if it cools as well as a Cobb or ETS but it is less expensive than I've seen ETS 7" coolers going for used.

I picked up a used Cobb AP and that is pretty much the sum total of my performance mods to date. I may consider an oil cooler as well (I have the factory one, but still.) I'm not a big fan of aftermarket intakes as a lot of them are "warm air" type and even those that are properly enclosed and ducted may have less efficient filters; I want my engine to last a good long time.

Word on the street is that downpipes are the next best thing that you can do for your car performance wise but I haven't taken that leap yet. It's a lot of money, a PITA to install, and my inner greenie would feel guilty installing catless DP's. There are high-flow catted ones available but I know you'll be shocked to find that they're expensive.
Appreciate 0