E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Electric Seats + Key

06-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Electric Seats + Key

Hi,

I spec'd the electric seats option and I get that I can program the 2 memories on the buttons on the side... the bit I don't 'get' is... I had expected the memories to be stored in the key of the driver also...

i.e. my wife open's car with her key and the seat moves to the position she last had it in.

I have a feeling from the manual that this has to be programmed by BMW service. Is it just an excuse to get more money out of us?! With all the other stuff that the key can remember I'm amazed they didn't store this in it by default.

Are the memories stored against the key but just not automatically moved to unless programmed?

Very confused about how these things tie together.

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

The way that I read the manual (not that I have electric seats, though), you had to save the seat position to memory using your wife's key, then every time she uses that key those settings will be available.

I think.
      06-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I have a feeling from the manual that this has to be programmed by BMW service.
This was the case with the e46 keys and memory seats. I'd just check with the dealer. I can't see any reason for them to charge for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
baddabing
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 30sd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Hi,

I spec'd the electric seats option and I get that I can program the 2 memories on the buttons on the side... the bit I don't 'get' is... I had expected the memories to be stored in the key of the driver also...

i.e. my wife open's car with her key and the seat moves to the position she last had it in.

I have a feeling from the manual that this has to be programmed by BMW service. Is it just an excuse to get more money out of us?! With all the other stuff that the key can remember I'm amazed they didn't store this in it by default.

Are the memories stored against the key but just not automatically moved to unless programmed?

Very confused about how these things tie together.

Regards,

Paul
My key has my seat settings stored on it and my wifes key has her settings stored on hers so when either of us open the car with their key the seats will go to the desired settings all done via the indicator stalk. Very handy
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
steve3948
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series M Sport June 2006

If you have the key fob with the start/stop button, you get in the car with your key fob inserted into dash.

Adjust seat how you want it, when happy, press the red memory button on the side of the set, then the 1 button.

Get out of the car and lock it.

Then open with wife's fob, insert into dash, adjust seat and when happy, press the red memory button then the 2 button.

Now open with your fob and it should adjust the seat to your setting.

With the older system that had a key, it had to be programed into the key but not on the fob system.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3948 View Post
If you have the key fob with the start/stop button, you get in the car with your key fob inserted into dash.

Adjust seat how you want it, when happy, press the red memory button on the side of the set, then the 1 button.

Then open with wife's fob, insert into dash, adjust seat and when happy, press the red memory button then the 2 button.

Now open with your fob and it should adjust the seat to your setting.

With the older system that had a key, it had to be programed into the key but not on the fob system.
basicly the key remembers your last settings for each key used, the buttons on the seats remember your prefered settings. Durring a drive you may want to tweak settings that is what the key remembers ,for each drive from then on. Once the memory function is pressed it will revert to your prefered settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Wow, that's great news. Stealer didn't have a clue then as he said it had to be programmed by them!

So it sounds like I don't even need to use the memory buttons, just let the key deal with it ?

Thanks guys, what woulkd I do withoutthis forum ?!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 325I M Sport

they key does not only remeber seat positions.. it recalls driving preferances.. daylight running.. auto lock.. etc..

also temprature settings for the air con.. and radio presets..

as yousaid no user interface needed.. just unlock with the key.. set it up.. drive.. and the car/key remembers ..

great isn't it..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Also, I think if the engine is running, you need to hold the memory buttons down on the seat, for it to return to the memorised setting. I guess this is a safety feature.

There is also an option for the seat to return to its setting remembered by the key when either you unlock the car or insert the fob... I think?
      06-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
There is also an option for the seat to return to its setting remembered by the key when either you unlock the car or insert the fob... I think?
Isn't that what they are saying above is standard with these seats?
Appreciate 0