E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

07-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #1299
EZduZit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
That sounds really good. Add some DP's and you'll be big bossing.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #1300
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Sounds good. What is the flutter metallic sound when you let off the gas? Some cars I hear it and some I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZduZit View Post
[u2b]
[/u2b]

Let me know what you guys think..
E90 335i
Added X pipe
Stock DP's

Also wanna throw out there that i have an extra OEM 335i muffler for $150. You can save some cash because it has been cut open. All you would need to do is cut the perforated pipes and add straight ones, weld it back together and your ready to go!. PM me if interested. I stay in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #1301
nyfg56
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT

Got these 4 inch tips put on yesterday after having the mod done for a week or so. Seems to be a little louder? Or is it just me?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #1302
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
Got these 4 inch tips put on yesterday after having the mod done for a week or so. Seems to be a little louder? Or is it just me?
When I threw on some new tips I thought the same thing. Even others said it was louder. As much as it doesn't make sense, it did have an effect.
      07-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #1303
nyfg56
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game
Quote:
When I threw on some new tips I thought the same thing. Even others said it was louder. As much as it doesn't make sense, it did have an effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #1304
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Seriously? Some reason this does not make sense.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #1305
nyfg56
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy
Quote:
Quote:
Bigger opening at the end, more noise out i guess?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #1306
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's like a trumpet exhaust. Reminds me of these they were testing in Formula 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy View Post
Quote:
Bigger opening at the end, more noise out i guess?
      07-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #1307
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
I am a little confused about this modification. If I am not mistaken the real exhaust is lighter. Also with the real thing you retain your original exhaust for when you sell or trade in the car and you can resell the authentic performance version for around $800-$1000.
After you frankenstein your mufflers, change the structural integrity, and hope the shop did a legit job you are still left with no original exhaust which could impact the trade resale of the car. (not to mention what if you don't like it?) The mod took allot of effort and is creative and I am all for saving a buck but I think this mod is penny wise and dollar foolish. You pay $300 or up for the irreversible modification and get nothing back later for resale since you have to sell your car with the gutted exhaust. If you buy the real exhaust for $1200.00 and sell it 2 years later for $900 both ways you end up spending a total of $300 but with the real exhaust you have your original exhaust to sell with your car and you also get the real deal (which does sound slightly different) and not a welded up replica. Just another perspective for any potential modders.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #1308
tachette
Green Hell Addict
France
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Hi all,

I own a 335i Touring and I want to make some noise, but juste a litlle bit more because I want to go on a stage 2 (Catless DP's, Wagner FMIC and a new remap) and I don't want to be too loud because of my wife

As someone tried to weld just one side of the oem muffler?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #1309
Scotte30m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotte30m3 View Post
Initial reaction no JB4 installed... Lots of Rasp and drone from 2000-3500 RPMs. Anything over 3500 RPMs was OEM. I was shocked!

(Side note, my Secondary cats must have been completely stopped up cause I could not boost over 12 PSI with the JB4 installed After ALOT of troubleshooting I found at least one turbo was leaking oil out the front and had about 2-3mm of shaft play up and down. So I took the JB4 off and scheduled time with the deal to have RBs installed, woot. With no JB4 installed the car was very anemic to 8psi and would fall flat on its face around 5800 rpms. I attributed this to the turbo failure. Now that the exhaust system has no the Secondary cats and no restriction at all it pulls like a freight train to 7 grand... Unfortunately the turbo is still leaking oil and still has shaft play and the RBs were already on order so I'm still doing the RBs)

Back to the review,
Last night I started looking at ways to change it to be more OEM lower in the RPMS... First thing I thought was, I need to put the driver side valve back in it and assure that it is working. I found a valve online that would work and got it ordered. Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

I woke up this morning still disappointed and started the car... and the disappointment got worse. Got home around lunch time still disappointed and but decided to re-install the JB4 so I could read the engine codes and see if I could run more than 12 PSI. I Let the car cool completely down, installed the JB4, then started it back up and to my surprise the car sounded different. I have know idea why. The drone was not nearly as bad and most of the ting went away... I took it for a drive again drone was almost gone as well as the fart sound. Started with Map 0 to assure I had the same results with no JB4 and all is well, switched to Map 1 and hit my target PSI, moved to MAP 2 and hit my target PSI. The car is definitely faster than the day I bought it a year ago... The thing that has be confused is why would it sound different from just installing the JB4?

I still plan on putting the OEM style valve in place. This should eliminate drone and rasp all together.

So now I need to post pics and videos... before and after RBs.

Should be in the air tomorrow or Monday... I'll get better pics of the V-BAND connection at the DPs
I had the 3" valve installed today. The rasp and drone are completely gone. Its a true mandrel bent dual 3" exhaust from the turbo back that maintains the stock e92 design less K@ts & resonators with modified OEM muffler. It has a more aggressive sound than stock but is by no means LOUD. Over All I feel this was a success in providing more flow over the smaller stock crushed pipes while maintaining a civilized sound.

I'll try to get some videos this weekend or next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #1310
Bleach8484
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

My n54 e90. Modded mufflers with 4" dimisa tips.

Fbo with resonator still Intact

I did all the work myself at home.

Last edited by Bleach8484; 07-21-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #1311
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Has anyone done this mod on an E90 (N54) with Xpipe (no downpipes)? Please post video/audio clip of exhaust if you have.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #1312
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Did you even look through this thread? Look at post #1297.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #1313
Basil335i
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone tried this can you conform it works I wanna try this but I don't want to do the y pipe only modify the mufflers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #1314
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep

Is it on an E90 or E92?

If it's E90 than the resonator would affect the sound a lot I would think and probably reduce the sound and therefore negating the mod to the mufflers.

Do it once and do it right.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #1315
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

I'm concerned about drone with this mod - as is, the stock exhaust with the golf tee mod or other means of disabling the exhaust flap drones at highway speeds. Has anyone tried doing the straight pipe and removing all of the packing in just the driver side where the flap is?

In theory, that would mean the exhaust would sound 100% stock when the exhaust flap is shut (highway cruising, cold start), since all the gases would be going through the still stock passenger muffler. However, under heavy revving, the exhaust flap opens up and gases would travel through the now unpacked and straight-piped driver muffler, meaning more sound.

The way the stock exhaust setup works is that the driver muffler with its flap is the "loud" muffler, and the passenger muffler is the "quiet" muffler. The "loud" muffler is deactivated by means of shutting the flap at cold starts and at highway cruising speeds. My suggested mod would leave the "quiet" muffler alone for the sake of preventing drone, and make the "loud" muffler louder.

Curious what everyone thinks of this.
      07-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #1316
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I'm concerned about drone with this mod - as is, the stock exhaust with the golf tee mod or other means of disabling the exhaust flap drones at highway speeds. Has anyone tried doing the straight pipe and removing all of the packing in just the driver side where the flap is?

In theory, that would mean the exhaust would sound 100% stock when the exhaust flap is shut (highway cruising, cold start), since all the gases would be going through the still stock passenger muffler. However, under heavy revving, the exhaust flap opens up and gases would travel through the now unpacked and straight-piped driver muffler, meaning more sound.

The way the stock exhaust setup works is that the driver muffler with its flap is the "loud" muffler, and the passenger muffler is the "quiet" muffler. The "loud" muffler is deactivated by means of shutting the flap at cold starts and at highway cruising speeds. My suggested mod would leave the "quiet" muffler alone for the sake of preventing drone, and make the "loud" muffler louder.

Curious what everyone thinks of this.
I don't know how many people have already said there's no drone with this setup (you searched the thread for the word drone I'd hope...), so not sure what more you expect to hear?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #1317
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I don't know how many people have already said there's no drone with this setup (you searched the thread for the word drone I'd hope...), so not sure what more you expect to hear?
People also say there's no drone with just the golf tee mod/exhaust solenoid disconnect, but that's not true either. I don't see any way how having a louder exhaust than stock could also drone less than stock.
      07-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #1318
mex2309
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Actually... I'm getting highway drone. Around 75 mph+ where the RPMs hit around 2500. When I let go off the gas it goes away, however even when I feather the gas pedal, there is a low frequency tone. It's not super loud, but it's definitely there. AND I followed the tutorial exactly per the .pdf.

Today I connected the cable for the exhaust flap (golf mod tee). Hopefully that will get rid of it... maybe the exhaust flap will remain close while highway driving at a constant speed. If not maybe I'll check that all the bolts and clamps are tightened on the exhaust.
      07-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #1319
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex2309 View Post
Actually... I'm getting highway drone. Around 75 mph+ where the RPMs hit around 2500. When I let go off the gas it goes away, however even when I feather the gas pedal, there is a low frequency tone. It's not super loud, but it's definitely there. AND I followed the tutorial exactly per the .pdf.

Today I connected the cable for the exhaust flap (golf mod tee). Hopefully that will get rid of it... maybe the exhaust flap will remain close while highway driving at a constant speed. If not maybe I'll check that all the bolts and clamps are tightened on the exhaust.
This is what I suspected - keeping the flap disabled on the stock exhaust causes drone since it allows the gases to go through the louder driver-side pipe. With this mod, you've made both pipes even louder, including the quietest (very perforated) passenger pipe.

Let me know if plugging the flap back in makes any difference. It might not, since the all you're doing is forcing the exhaust out the passenger pipe which is now solid and no longer quieter. However, it may force a bit more to circulate through the perforated transfer pipes (which aren't touched by this mod), and that could cause some sound absorption and maybe eliminate some of the drone.

Last edited by dwells; 07-29-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #1320
mex2309
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
This is what I suspected - keeping the flap disabled on the stock exhaust causes drone since it allows the gases to go through the louder driver-side pipe. With this mod, you've made both pipes even louder, including the quietest (very perforated) passenger pipe.

Let me know if plugging the flap back in makes any difference. It might not, since the all you're doing is forcing the exhaust out the passenger pipe which is now solid and no longer quieter. However, it may force a bit more to circulate through the perforated transfer pipes (which aren't touched by this mod), and that could cause some sound absorption and maybe eliminate some of the drone.
I did some highway driving yesterday. The drone is still there around 75 mph.
Why would it drone only above this speed? Wonder if we could force the exhaust flap to close at that speed.