E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Why Wax?

07-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Last winter I put Collinite 845 and topped it off when the weather was nice with Optimum Carnuba Wax. I've heard that Collinite 845 last up to 6 months so I went with that. I think I'm going to try some Collinite and top it off with Vanilla Ice this winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Just used some black fire wet diamond sealant this past holiday on my jet black Porsche. Cant say im too impressed with the shine/gloss/wetness or depth. Nothing astonishing or ground breaking. I was a little disappointed.

It went on super easy and came off super easy!
The smell is horrible.
Slickness is very nice.
Shine is there. very nice, clear reflection.
But something is just missing, I guess that deep glow when compared to a wax. And not as wet as wax.
My nattys blue brings out more shine/wetness from black. I guess BFWD sealant isn't know and popular because of its shine but its protection longevity and decent shine combo.

This is my first time using a sealant. im gonna do a side by side comparison of nattys red and bfwd sealant on my trunk tomorrow night, as im doing my M5. Im gonna be applying nattys red on the whole car, but for comparisons sake will get some pics and compare side by side how nattys wax looks compared to bfwd sealant.
As of right now, even though sealant is the way to go for longevity, wax wins on the shine side but this is a known factor even before my review.
      07-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD335 View Post
...To apply a car finish system like zaino will take several products and a lot of elbow grease.
You hit the nail on the head!!!

I love the results, but I rarely have the time. FWIW, it seems to me that after applying the Zaino system, dirt seems to shy away from the car. My car definitely looks good for a longer period of time an it ever did when I used wax.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Just used some black fire wet diamond sealant this past holiday on my jet black Porsche. Cant say im too impressed with the shine/gloss/wetness or depth. Nothing astonishing or ground breaking. I was a little disappointed.
I know that I'm asking you to do work, but can you throw a coat of wax over top of that and see if you find it more pleasing? I've seen hundreds of threads about sealant being slick, glossy, and optically clear, but simply not as interesting. BFWD's product info even talks marketing BS about the different refractive indices of the compounds blended to make their product so that it looks better. There seem to be a lot of people waxing over sealant for appearances - I'm not really sure if there's a point in bothering with the sealant then unless you have no garage and must street park all the time...

Further, I'm not sure I perfectly understand those who are fans of the nano coatings that go on and "last the life of your paint". Isn't that what clear coat is for? Why is this stuff better than clear coat? If it's so great, why don't manufacturers use it instead of clear coat? You're still going to get micromarring in this fancy-pants lifetime sealant so... Anyways...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #27
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Poorboys Black Hole Glaze then Chemical Guys Black Light with Collinite 845 on top works for me.

That combo really makes the Black Metallic Sapphire paint really shine AND makes the metallic flake pop.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I know that I'm asking you to do work, but can you throw a coat of wax over top of that and see if you find it more pleasing? I've seen hundreds of threads about sealant being slick, glossy, and optically clear, but simply not as interesting. BFWD's product info even talks marketing BS about the different refractive indices of the compounds blended to make their product so that it looks better. There seem to be a lot of people waxing over sealant for appearances - I'm not really sure if there's a point in bothering with the sealant then unless you have no garage and must street park all the time...

Further, I'm not sure I perfectly understand those who are fans of the nano coatings that go on and "last the life of your paint". Isn't that what clear coat is for? Why is this stuff better than clear coat? If it's so great, why don't manufacturers use it instead of clear coat? You're still going to get micromarring in this fancy-pants lifetime sealant so... Anyways...
Yea I was gonna try throwing some nattys blue over the trunk of the Porsche and see if that helps. Just not sure any wax can be used over sealant, I know I was reading that some waxes are made to bond to sealants. Not sure if waxes not meant for going on top of sealant would effect the finish. Either way Im going to try.

I honestly had no intention on using the BFWD sealant on any of my garaged cars, since I wax them every 2-3 months anyways, and the wax lasts for me that long. The sealant is for my two daily drivers. But I wanted to see what this sealant shine actually looks like, even though I know the praises for sealant isn't about shine but the protection/longevity. So im glad I got to have a first hand experience of the look.
Im gonna strip it next week with some chemical guys shampoo and throw some nattys wax on it since I don't need a sealant on my Porsche.
      07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post

It went on super easy and came off super easy!
The smell is horrible.
Slickness is very nice.
Shine is there. very nice, clear reflection.
But something is just missing, I guess that deep glow when compared to a wax. And not as wet as wax.
My nattys blue brings out more shine/wetness from black. I guess BFWD sealant isn't know and popular because of its shine but its protection longevity and decent shine combo.

This is my first time using a sealant. im gonna do a side by side comparison of nattys red and bfwd sealant on my trunk tomorrow night, as im doing my M5. Im gonna be applying nattys red on the whole car, but for comparisons sake will get some pics and compare side by side how nattys wax looks compared to bfwd sealant.
As of right now, even though sealant is the way to go for longevity, wax wins on the shine side but this is a known factor even before my review.
looking forward to the pictures.

Have you tried putting on the carnuba wax on top of the BFWD sealant? A lot of members on the detailing community put a wax over a sealant for more longevity. I picked up Ultima Paint Guard Plus but never got a chance to use it yet. I've heard that it's real easy to use those. Just wipe on and walk away. No buffing required.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze then Chemical Guys Black Light with Collinite 845 on top works for me.

That combo really makes the Black Metallic Sapphire paint really shine AND makes the metallic flake pop.
PB Black Hole and CG Black Light are both glazes. Your just wasting time and money by doing that.
      07-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #31
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
PB Black Hole and CG Black Light are both glazes. Your just wasting time and money by doing that.
Black Light is a sealant AIO. Black Hole is a sunk cost, I already own it and applying it is not much time at all. The results are enough where I will spend that tiny insignificant 2 hours a year to apply it.

Last edited by divisionbell77; 07-05-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #32
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

PB Black Hole has had great reviews all over. Even though it's a glaze it still makes the metallic flake pop and shine. Sometimes people like using glazes instead of polishing all the time. You don't know how thin that clear coat might be now.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #33
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
Black Light is a sealant AIO. Black Hole is a sunk cost, I already own it and applying it is not much time at all. The results are enough where I will spend that tiny insignificant 2 hours a year to apply it.
Black Light is a hard product to classify. It is a glaze and it does fill. It does contains a small amount of abrasive and it does offer some protection.

I used black Light mostly as a gloss enhancer before LSP and on a few occasions as an AIO. Black Light is best when paired up with V07. The durability of black light as a stand alone sealant is rather short in comparison to the other products mentioned on this post.

It is best to do a hand application when topping a glaze like PB Black Hole with Black Light. Machine application of Black light could remove the Black Hole. You are basically looking to spread the product thin by hand and really nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
PB Black Hole has had great reviews all over. Even though it's a glaze it still makes the metallic flake pop and shine. Sometimes people like using glazes instead of polishing all the time. You don't know how thin that clear coat might be now.
The ability of a glaze to fill is what makes it great. The smoother the surface the glossier it looks. Not everyone is into machine polishing and prior to me getting heavily involved in paint corrections...I was in the "Glaze" camp.

It is a good point you brought up regarding how much CC is on the car. Prior to working on any vehicle....I always measure the paint. This helps me tremendously in coming up with an approach that is the least aggressive while still getting the job done. IMO.....Too many people would automatically take the most aggressive approach without exploring other less aggressive options first.