E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 killed my car....

11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
ilirduka335xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi space gray

Garage List
2008 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
your jb4 is def installed wrong in some sort of way because i install it the wrong also and it said my AWD was disabled and started throwing some other crazy codes but i re installed the jb4 the right way and everything was fine again lol
      11-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
Dr-Euro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

How long did you have the unit on the car? Usually if the JB4 is installed wrong then you would get an immediate indication either by limp, SES, or both. Like others have stated, the unit is passive and cannot "kill your car".

If the unit has been on the car for some time and you are just now having problems communicating with the DME then I would say that your DME was not properly sealed after installation. Amateur installers may only lock the box on the front and rear and neglect to completely clip it from left to right. Condensation or water entering the ECU over time can cause corrosion to build and eventually cause communication problems and failure. There was alot of these types of problems on the E36 cars and sounds like you are experience the same symptoms.
      11-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Euro View Post
How long did you have the unit on the car? Usually if the JB4 is installed wrong then you would get an immediate indication either by limp, SES, or both. Like others have stated, the unit is passive and cannot "kill your car".

If the unit has been on the car for some time and you are just now having problems communicating with the DME then I would say that your DME was not properly sealed after installation. Amateur installers may only lock the box on the front and rear and neglect to completely clip it from left to right. Condensation or water entering the ECU over time can cause corrosion to build and eventually cause communication problems and failure. There was alot of these types of problems on the E36 cars and sounds like you are experience the same symptoms.
Interesting, i will have to double check that to make sure i have it fully clipped on. Thanks!
      11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Typical stealership bs. These are the guys that blame injector failures on blow off valves and fuel pump failures on downpipes. Go to an indy shop or at lest another dealer. So your car was working when you drove it to the shop to get it looked at right? When exactly did your car die? What was the symptom? What you said didn't quite make sense at the end there...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Come on man change that title you put for this thread. That is so ignorant of you to put a title like that when most probably your just an idiot and installed the JB4 wrong... If I'm not mistaken, Burger Tuning hasn't had a single JB4 cause a "DME failure". So your title is very misleading and ignorant to those who look thru this forum to decide what kind of tune they are going to choose.. Its not hard to change it so just change the title to a title that makes more sense.
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 LBB M2/'18 X3 M40i/'16 X5d

If you are going to call me a dumbass on my post, at least know how to spell. But thank you for the advice. I have taken it to a reputable shop who has dealt with this problem before and the way it was described to me was that although the jb4 may not have just shut it down completely, it may have been a major factor in the DME failure.

My original problem was misfires on 4-6, a 30BB code and the sensors reading lean. Car was in limp mode and we were unable to reset bank two after replacement of coils and spark plugs. Therefore I took it to a shop to see if their software could clear the code and that is what shot it down.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #29
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Euro View Post

I actually had a JB3 running on the car when this happened. It was running on my car for probably 6 months or so. When going through the troubleshooting I upgraded to the jb4. It continued to fail so then I took it to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #30
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
either you went to a bad shop or had a bad install.....jb4 is not going to ruin your car

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #31
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep

If it was a bad install, how was I still able to use the tuner without a problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #32
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalkKU View Post
Looks like the JB4 led to my car dying. Took it to the shop to get looked at and I have been told that the software ruined the DME at the minimum. Even after removing the JB4 the car wont communicate with the DME and wont clear any codes pertaining to those faults. LUCKY ME! Looks like the car is going to be sitting around for a while....

Has this happened to anyone else or am I just on an unlucky streak?
There are multiple DME failures on the forum. My personal opinion is that yes, piggybacks play a role in DME failures. I would like to see one person with DME failure who is not running a piggyback or has not ran it at some point in time. There are so many things that can happen: impedance mismatch (leading to high current through some of the output transistors), short circuits, statical electricity, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #33
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
There are multiple DME failures on the forum. My personal opinion is that yes, piggybacks play a role in DME failures. I would like to see one person with DME failure who is not running a piggyback or has not ran it at some point in time. There are so many things that can happen: impedance mismatch (leading to high current through some of the output transistors), short circuits, statical electricity, etc.
This has been on on the back of my mind as well, which is why I've been aching to change to a total reflash and do it the proper way instead of using a piggy.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #34
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
If you are going to call me a dumbass on my post, at least know how to spell. But thank you for the advice. I have taken it to a reputable shop who has dealt with this problem before and the way it was described to me was that although the jb4 may not have just shut it down completely, it may have been a major factor in the DME failure.

My original problem was misfires on 4-6, a 30BB code and the sensors reading lean. Car was in limp mode and we were unable to reset bank two after replacement of coils and spark plugs. Therefore I took it to a shop to see if their software could clear the code and that is what shot it down.
That is a known DME transistor problem, nothing to do with tuning. Someone posted a DIY fix for it here. BMW will also cover it under warranty on certain models. You should really change the subject of this thread as it's VERY misleading.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #35
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

lol wow op almost over reacted

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #36
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Video killed the radio star
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #37
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

good luck with your car. I had MIke n54tuning install my JB4 without any problems. He offers amazing service. I also got DCI and LED Angel eyes from him, I will be a returning customer after the winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #38
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
RoadchalkKU,

Imagine that you owned a business and went above and beyond to help your largely technically inept customer base use your product. Imagine that the product that this hypothetical business you're running isn't proven to cause failure of any kind and has been proven on thousands of applications for anywhere from thousands to tens of thousands of miles on each of those thousands of applications. Despite all of this, also imagine that this business' marketing is highly dependent on the Internet. Yes, you're right. That can be unfortunate, because unfortunately everyone has opinions nowadays and can voice them publicly, in such a way that they actually influence sheeple who know as little about your hypothetical business' product, its application and effects on the system to which it applies, etc as the person who has the freedom to post ignorantly about your hypothetical business online. I agree, reading and learning will always be better than posting, and people who have un(der)qualified opinions should be ghost on Internet space.

Lesson #1: Change the title of your post
Lesson #2: Read/learn as much as you can and apply critical thinking equal to the consequences of the situation you're in and creating before posting online to avoid this in the future.

Ok, we're going to continue on the hypothetical examples here. Let's say that you owned a business that performed labor on machines in ways that a VAST majority of your customer base didn't understand any better than hieroglyphics. One day, someone with one of the generally perceived "nicer" or more complicated and technical machines comes in and asks for your help. He has made changes to the machine. He does not present himself as someone who understands the machine as a whole, nor does he appear to be the proactive or curious type. Since you observe that this person appears to have the right combination of money, general liking for the "costly" (subjective) machine, enough so to modify it from its original state, AND they aren't proactive, you decide to take advantage of their ignorance by blaming a technical issue on an easy target that you know this customer will eat up. You can run this person up and down and give them a reason they'll believe. You make more money doing so and this person never knows any better, they'll believe whatever you tell them. You can now plan a nice vacation.

Lesson #3: be proactive. First, if you modify the ECU, make sure that you have a way to diagnose problems. Your best choice is a BT cable. Some "tuners" have means whereby customers can read codes too. To me, a netbook, BT cable, and a JB3/4 or proceed are a team and any of the three independently would be considered incomplete.
Lesson #4: recognize that a shop will make as much money as it can. Generally speaking, people who care about money will make as much of it as possible. Do yourself a favor and take your car to another shop for a second opinion. Maybe you can look on the local forums, posting (better yet, searching first to see if your question has been asked before in the past six years) a request for a reference to a reputable shop from someone who has been taking their JB/PROcede tuned 335i to for service/diagnosis/etc

Just a few quick thoughts, hopefully this helps and hopefully you see the lessons to be learned from them and apply them like someone with decency would. I think I spelled everything right, let me know if I didn't and I'll correct myself. Good luck with your car, hopefully you straighten things out.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #39
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
User Install Error -- You probably connected the wires wrong & fried your DME. Don't blame a proven product for your mistakes. Good, quality vendors suffer from your quick judgement that there's something wrong with the product.
This.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
BoominChu
Fleming Automotive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Things JB4 wil never do:

Give you up
Let you down
Run around
Desert you
Make you Cry
Say goodbye
Tell a lie
Hurt you

..... no wait thats rick astley
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
^ that tire story is funny as sh*t....I hope he's kidding tho....what a debacle.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
^ that tire story is funny as sh*t....I hope he's kidding tho....what a debacle.
lol yea I was bored and reading ridiculous threads such as this one, so I posted that fun story
      11-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #43
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep

I am not ashamed to say that I may be incorrect in my forum post. But what I really was hoping for was for the knowledgable people in the forum to tell me what to look for, not to criticize my post. I do not have the same businesses and help that the west coast has. Also, I don't have 2000 dollars to put towards my car. I will take it to anther shop and see what they say, but I am asking for help. I have put a lot of time looking into this problem through forums and part replacement and right now, this is where I am at. I would like suggestions as to what I need to do. It would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
I am not ashamed to say that I may be incorrect in my forum post. But what I really was hoping for was for the knowledgable people in the forum to tell me what to look for, not to criticize my post. I do not have the same businesses and help that the west coast has. Also, I don't have 2000 dollars to put towards my car. I will take it to anther shop and see what they say, but I am asking for help. I have put a lot of time looking into this problem through forums and part replacement and right now, this is where I am at. I would like suggestions as to what I need to do. It would be greatly appreciated.
I already told you what to do in my last post...

Mike
Appreciate 0