E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Test Drive Insurance?

07-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Test Drive Insurance?

Went for test drive today in X640d

Don't quite get the point of the car, but the new gearbox is much better than the one in the 335d.

Anyway. Salesman called me. Apparently when parking i dented the bumper. The salesman was out of the car watching me park and didn't hear anything. I didn't feel anything. He asked me to come in and watch the CCTV as nobody moved the car after i parked it. I can't get in (i'm not in Glasgow till this evening but i might go in tomorrow to have a look), but i doubt very much they'd try a fast one on me. Especially as i'm looking to spend a bit of cash with them!

Anyway it was the managers car and he's taken it to their body shop to fix.

Salesman said he'd get back to me and let me know what the outcome was, i.e how much i would have to pay.

I'm not one for dodging my responsibilities, but always thought that when you're on a test drive you're covered by the garages insurance?
Would there be an excess? But then that's never been discussed in all my time test driving cars including the GTR.

Anybody know the script?

I'm guessing it's not too much damage or the salesman would have heard it and i would have felt it when parking!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
NightVisitant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M-Sport 2011

Seems daft to charge someone for it - all their cars are indeed covered by dealer insurance - if not, I'd like to know on what basis they took it onto the road. Just wondering where the line would be drawn on charging a customer for damaging a test vehicle

"Sorry sir, but that stone chip was not there when we set off!"
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Ask for a copy of the "video" if it was clearly your fault, cough for it, if not, tell they to go do one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Ask for a copy of the "video" if it was clearly your fault, cough for it, if not, tell they to go do one.
agreed......
      07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Further info. Been left a message.

It was actually the general manager's car. So not covered by the insurance apparently!

So been asked to pay £250 (which they'll absorb if i buy a car!). Their body shop said £300 but can get it down to £250

He's actually asked me to come in and see the damage myself and CCTV, so i have to assume they are sure i did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Sounds very petty to me, particularly if you are about to spend some serious dosh.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Sounds very petty to me, particularly if you are about to spend some serious dosh.
Well they have said they'll absorb the cost into the car i buy to be fair to them.
And they have said they'll invoice my business for it, so that's something too, as i'll get some tax relief on it.

As i said, i'm not one to shirk my responsibilities and they've told me to come see for myself. And they haven't been arsey about it either. To be fair the salesman also knows some guys i went to school with and he's been pretty apologetic about it all. I guess he's stuck in the middle.

Just concerned me that if i'd done something really stupid like land it in a ditch i'd have been liable - or maybe they'd have claimed insurance.

On a happier note (it's Friday after all), one of the finance directors who i know through a friend called up to see how things were going as he'd heard i was looking for a car. Embarrassingly he was told about the damage (not sure if i'll live that one down) So that's where the offset idea came in, but also he's spoken to Sales Manager (whose car it was) and i may be getting a week 32 car which i was told i couldn't have this morning. So Sept delivery for a car is on the cards
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Which dealer the one in the city, or outside it?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
Which dealer the one in the city, or outside it?
I don't want to say while the deal is still to go through....but i wasn't working in Glasgow today!

I like golf
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You would know about it if you had dented the bumper, it's made of plastic and needs a good smack to make an indent.

I think, "Awa and fuck yersel' Ya fuckin' bawbag" should get your point across.
      07-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
What difference does it make as to whose car it is anyway????

If you test drove it it should be covered under their insurance.
      07-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
You would know about it if you had dented the bumper, it's made of plastic and needs a good smack to make an indent.

+1 my thoughts too. I'd be interested in the CCTV outcome......
      07-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Did they/you inspect the car before the test drive? This damage could have been done while the car was parked up minutes or hours before you even test drove it. Also if they are saying that it is possible to damage the car while parking it without noticing then surely it is also possible for the owner or someone else to have caused the damage without realising prior to your drive.

If the video clearly shows you hitting an object then fair enough pay up .......if not you should raise the points above as it is impossible to know who or when this car was damaged - not saying they are trying to con you but how can they be 100% positive that it was caused on the test drive and not before - they can't, they are just assuming.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

General Managers car not covered by the dealer's insurance ............. VERY unlikely, it isn;t going to be his personal car so will be covered by their insurance. Ask them to show you the insurance cert for the car to prove it is outside of their trade policy and also ask them what insurance you were driving under and if there was no insurance ask them why you were not informed and make a big issue of the fact they were making you drive illegally.

Personally I think they are acting unbelievably and I would go elsewhere to buy my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post

Will home to see you bre practising for your trip to scotland Am going in tomo so will check it out. Apparently it was the corner of a wall so will see if dent lines up with how i parked.↲↲
↲i'm taking the datsun for a run so will pop by and see the video too if required. But the guy was sure because the car gets washed daily so they knew it wasn't there in the morning and i was only driver.↲But i'm still wondering general what the conditions are when you take a test drive in general.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i'm on my mobile so apologies for the poorly formatted reply. Thanks guys i appreciate the concern and advice. Honestly it's very possible i did cause the damage. And in that care i will pay up. But i will check it out carefully. But can you honestly see a dealer making that post of thing up for 250quid. Not when i'm there to buy a car. But out of it all it would appear i will be getting a week 32 car and i'd attribute part of that to the fact i didn't just deny it and tell them to shove it. Bit me karma? Also i'll be getting a discount on the car. The sort of discount i wasn't getting this morning even on a 16week wait new build rather than one in the queue which still can be spec'd
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
All sounds a bit bizarre to me. If he was standing there when you parked also. Didn't the car have parking sensors fitted.

Anyhow, you say it was the General Managers car so covered by their insurance as a company car imo.

Take for example the XK I drove the other day. Demo car and had to sign an agreement for insurance puposes agreeing to the excess in case of damage. Their insurance covered me driving it. When I got back the salesguy openly went over the car checking it for bumps and scrapes etc. He apologised but said he had to do it lol...........no worries.

Lets hope the CCTV footage actually shows you parking the car and the correct angles are visible.

Strange one imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

If the salesman was outside watching, then it's his responsibility. This is a ridiculous situation and if I got the phone call as a potential customer, I would be visiting another dealership. They should have signed the car in and out to actually have a leg to stand on.

Good luck

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Apparently when parking i dented the bumper. The salesman was out of the car watching me park and didn't hear anything.
IMO That's the only important point. If he was watching you back, then it's 100% up to him to make sure you park safely.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
If the salesman was outside watching, then it's his responsibility. This is a ridiculous situation and if I got the phone call as a potential customer, I would be visiting another dealership. They should have signed the car in and out to actually have a leg to stand on.

Good luck

Interesting about the signing in and out and what Helen has said.

I've never signed anything to test drive a car including the GTR. Makes me wonder what excess was on there if any etc. Or when i've been given a courtesy car is there an excess on that? I assume i'm driving on their insurance, but do i have to pay anything if someone scratches it in a car park etc

Just something that had never occurred to me. I always assumed that car garages had any driver insurance and if you had a test drive and something happened.....well they covered it.

Something worth asking about next time you arrange a test drive i guess!

I even wonder if you're actually driving on your own insurance 3rd party (doubt it)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
It can't be left to your own insurance, a lot of policies now don't have driving other cars included.

I'll certainly ask next time I want a test drive though
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #22
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

i wanted to test drive the x5m for weekend unaccompanied, which for £250 you could do (when it first came out to see what it was like)
£250 cost of weekend - refundable on order of car.
my insurance wouldnt cover me as i didnt own the vehicle.
On their insurance i had to pay £5000 excess if their was a claim so i politely refused the test drive.
i got money back off the x5 d i ordered out of goodwill.
always ask to see the insurance form then you know what your in for.