E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Black leather how to get dry look

12-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Black leather how to get dry look

My car is 2005 with 80 k on the clock it is a very tidy car but the only thing I don't like the look of is the black leather it has become shiny over the years the leather is not worn bad and the back seats look barley sat on but the all have a sort of shine to them wich looks terrible at night under the interior lights.

I'm lookin for some cleaning tips on how to get my seats back to the new dry/matt finish like it was when new

Any advice would be appreciated thanks
      12-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Strong leather cleaner. That is all of the body oils and other oils on the seat that have built up over the years.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/
      12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

^+1 based on your comment of the leather not being worn.
I'd use a ph neutral cleaner for leather. Try either checking www.detailingworld.co.uk or the www.ultimatefinish.com. Both UK based so shipping won't kill you.
I'd suggest if available either Leatherique or Leathermasters but if not available in the UK try Sonus which is for sure. SwissVax is another nice option but pricey, actually the Sonus is cheapest by far so maybe try that first.
After your leather is truly clean, weekly to biweekly wipe downs with a warm slightly damp cloth should be all you need and clean every few months or so depeneding on wear and dye transfer from clothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
DJRxyz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Are the Armor all Leather cleaning wipes good for your car? They seem to do a good job but want to make sure they would not damage in the long run.....!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
mjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I use the Swissvax leather kit in my car... It's an amazing package that's extremely effective at removing dirt/ oils out of the leather and leaves a lovely smell too!

It was a present and I personally think that £85 for some leather cleaner/ conditioner is a bit excessive - reviews with the likes of Giptone that are much cheaper seem just as effective
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
^+1 based on your comment of the leather not being worn.
I'd use a ph neutral cleaner for leather. Try either checking www.detailingworld.co.uk or the www.ultimatefinish.com. Both UK based so shipping won't kill you.
I'd suggest if available either Leatherique or Leathermasters but if not available in the UK try Sonus which is for sure. SwissVax is another nice option but pricey, actually the Sonus is cheapest by far so maybe try that first.
After your leather is truly clean, weekly to biweekly wipe downs with a warm slightly damp cloth should be all you need and clean every few months or so depeneding on wear and dye transfer from clothing.
Agree, Leathermaters if available. And be sure to buff
with the microfiber a little after it dries.