E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Erm... Is my car gonna get stolen?

12-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #45
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post
No. Doesn't cost a thing. Iys just so they have details for you otherwise people couod go around controlling cars randomly.
When i, and perhaps others, load the app it askes for our connected drive user name and password. Membership costs money, and mine has expired.

I'm guessing you have membership already, so you haven't had to pay anything extra to use the app.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #46
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Small world it is.

Sort out the security issues mate, which have been mentioned above. I know how bad these thefts have been especially in london. Crazy tho. Heard a few going missing in Hounslow.

This is one thing putting me off getting a e92 335i. Second one is due to me prefering a e46 m3. lol

But even with advice above i will doing the same thing when i get the m3. Dont like it when people steal other peoples cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post

and sorry if i offended someone with the polish thing, i have nothing against them! if they looked like tamils or something i woulda said 'possibly tamils'... it's just what my dad said
Lmao at this comment about Tamils. lol haha .
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #47
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sives View Post
Small world it is.

Sort out the security issues mate, which have been mentioned above. I know how bad these thefts have been especially in london. Crazy tho. Heard a few going missing in Hounslow.

This is one thing putting me off getting a e92 335i. Second one is due to me prefering a e46 m3. lol

But even with advice above i will doing the same thing when i get the m3. Dont like it when people steal other peoples cars.

Lmao at this comment about Tamils. lol haha .
Times have changed. The e46 m3 would syand no chance on a slightly tuned 335i. And tbh the e46 m3 probably doesnt get stolen allot anymore would it. Surely theres not wnough money in stealing one anymorem or ammi wrong. Iv seen 04 pkates for 7k.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #48
M2RTY
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e46, e93 + f23 M sport verts!

We have 3 cctv cameras hidden under the guttering that feed a system in the loft which records on 2 500gb hdd. Makn reason is there 2 bmws out front and also the private culdesac is technically my land on the deeds to my house but i need to allow access to about 6 houses and im paranoid someone will get a delivery made and the truck will mash my block paving up lol

Disklock is a must too. Would put off most casual theives and theres plenty of other cars about without them that are easier to take

Also coded cars to flash lights when the alarm goes off so i can see it through my bedroom window. Think i made the alarm louder too and the cars beep on lock for extra security from signal jackers

Had 2 cars stolen in 18 months (both 100 miles from home) and the feeling is unlike anything i have ever experienced

One was found burnt out, other never turned up...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #49
CustomColours
Banned
Rep

I wouodnt hide my cctv cameras to be honest. I have them high up but out in the open with a huge cctv sign on my gates. That way everyone knows I have cctv and not to bother as the sight of them is a deterant alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #50
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
I wouodnt hide my cctv cameras to be honest. I have them high up but out in the open with a huge cctv sign on my gates. That way everyone knows I have cctv and not to bother as the sight of them is a deterant alone.
Or they just wear hoodies
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #51
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Times have changed. The e46 m3 would syand no chance on a slightly tuned 335i. And tbh the e46 m3 probably doesnt get stolen allot anymore would it. Surely theres not wnough money in stealing one anymorem or ammi wrong. Iv seen 04 pkates for 7k.
I totally agree with that, but still owning a e46 m3 has been one of the few things i wanted. Was after one few years ago but it was expensive in insurance. maintenance is not a problem as i got a mate who knows alot about bmw.

I was considering a 335i like what i said before, but the only thing it misses is the lsd which i know you can get fitted for like 2k.

Not heard them get stolen, some of the bumpers get stolen, read it on m3 cutters.

totally agree tht they are going for cheap crap ones going for 4-5k now. but i am looking at spending like 7-9 for a LSB one.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #52
CustomColours
Banned
Rep

Oh nice. Yeah the 335i is good without an lsd but is better once one is fitted. To.me in made the car tbh.

Bumpwrs being stolen is a pain. Never heard of that. Better the bumper though than the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #53
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Didn't realise 335s are so cheap now!! I know mine is not worth more than £10k PX, but at <£7k that's virtually giving it away ...oh well all the more reason to keep it till it falls apart and keep on modding
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #54
J Dub
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

In a time long ago in a previous life, I was involved with security services. All the other advice is great, would be interested in what people have to say about what CCTV systems as often thought of something myself here, yet I am thinking cheap and cheerful as the chances of someone posing for the camera is thin, yet at least you can track times, number of people involved and so on.

Ok so the one thing we had trained into us is I think a great security tip. Most theft or attempts take place at night, this is because its dark and less people around, this is so they do not get seen.

LIGHT THEM UP LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE yes that simple, get security lights, and when triggered light the place up.

Choice half inch something from a dark drive, or from a drive that lights up and can been seen from space!!

Its a very fast, easy and cheap stage 1 in my mind.

As a follow up, make it so they take time and make noise, how you do that can vary, a brick under a wheel is a simple pain in the arse, combine light and noise and they don't like it up them.
      12-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #55
M2RTY
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e46, e93 + f23 M sport verts!

I use swann cameras, 4 of them, chinese recorder box with 1tb storage, records 24x7, can watch on iphone and have photos emailed to me. Cost was 300 all in
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
SgtGoldy
SuperFastYo
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335i TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
Is there anything I should do?
As an American I advise you to grab one of your high powered firearms and wait. Maybe have a cheeseburger and a beer while your waiting...

C63 AMG
- LSD - Straight Pipe - EuroCharge v5 - Vossen CV7 -
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #57
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGoldy View Post
As an American I advise you to grab one of your high powered firearms and wait. Maybe have a cheeseburger and a beer while your waiting...
Anything more intimidating than a feather duster & we're likely to be charged with assault this side of the pond
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #58
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Anything more intimidating than a feather duster & we're likely to be charged with assault this side of the pond
Maybe you could tickle them to death
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #59
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

I'd probably have to get a 45 Magnum duster for that
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #60
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Have a look at this website for some ideas too:

http://www.securemycar.co.uk/

Touch wood... I think the pests around here have backed off and it has paid for itself. I used to hear my proximity sensor going off... they seem to have given up. They must know about the security fix... cameras have gone up and I have removed the door lock.

Hope you get all sorted soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #61
alexfrs
Rep
Drives: 330d

I live in a secluded area and wanted to protect my garage and car so I installed a quality cctv camera. I wanted to know if someone snoops around my car or is weighing up my garage door.

This emails me when tripped, takes a recording of the proceeding seconds, during and after the event so you get the whole thing. A face is recognisable and night vision is excellent. You just draw virtual trip wires across the areas you want to protect.

I've always owned sought after cars and its the only deterrent that stops me waking up every half an hour worrying about this or that noise, I just click the app on my mobile and have instant access to a live feed. I can also view the camera from any pc with internet access. It may not stop them but you know what's going on at your yard at all times.

(I had a garage and driveway alarm and it was just ignored by neighbours if it tripped, no use at all)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #62
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

A nice end to this thread! *group hug*
Appreciate 0