E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2011 328i bluetooth installtion

11-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_h View Post
Good to know. Then why is the combox a better foundation?
The Combox swap is availabe as close as PnP as possible. The MULF Bluetooth activation and wiring is not -you are on your own.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Speaking of which; any thoughts on the 640 coding question via email?
I'm waiting for some documents.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
The other link, with parts and coding about $1k, makes me think the bimmernav solution is a better selection, at $750.

dyne81

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-281.html

Judging by the pictures at the link, this is just a re-cased Dynavin. Right?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Judging by the pictures at the link, this is just a re-cased Dynavin. Right?
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, searching on that brand turns up the same unit.

I'm tempted, since it would add lots more stuff than just bluetooth handsfree (such as A2DP, nav etc) for a similar price.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Combox swap is availabe as close as PnP as possible. The MULF Bluetooth activation and wiring is not -you are on your own.
You mean installing the Combox obviates the need to wire a mic and antenna, but with the MULF one has to add the mic and antenna?
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #28
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You mean installing the Combox obviates the need to wire a mic and antenna, but with the MULF one has to add the mic and antenna?
Take a detailed look at the link posted before, that will tell you everything needed for a Combox install/swap.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #29
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Take a detailed look at the link posted before, that will tell you everything needed for a Combox install/swap.
Yep, that thread is why I asked my question. It looks like the non combox install is just two sets of components: mic and antenna, plus coding. Hard to be simpler, if I am reading that right (which I may not be).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that thread is why I asked my question. It looks like the non combox install is just two sets of components: mic and antenna, plus coding. Hard to be simpler, if I am reading that right (which I may not be).
The correct link is on post #19.

Your 2012 E90 does not have any Telephone pre-wire, so forget about any antenna or mic wiring being there. Either you swap the MULF or simply replace it with the OEM Combox retrofit in the glovebox/under passenger carpet.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #31
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Thanks. That link didn't register since I don't have iDrive/Nav. Interesting to see it though and great for people that do, for sure.

I'm driving an e82. Not sure if that makes a difference in terms of what wiring is there. Certainly in one three series, a lot of wiring was present but needed to be hooked up: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=58 but I haven't seen any similar post from people driving the 1 series, like me.

But after re-reading those threads, for a non iDrive vehicle, it seems like the install requires a mic and a bluetooth antenna and coding, regardless of whether I buy a Combox or use the existing MULF.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
jttaglia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
This is not a pissing contest.

Again... to those that want to know how to retrofit the OEM Bluetooth in a post-2010 3-Series just post prodution date and equipment and a professional suggestion will be provided.
2011 335d
Production date: 06/2011
Radio: BMW Professional

FYI - The car currently has USB and iPod integration.

What do I need for bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #33
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I would say all this is justification for a dynavin

I would say all this is justification for a dynavin.

Even though its a hassel to because, of all the side effects. to install
and after market head unit but if you are spending over 500 bucks just
for bluetooth it begins to make sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #34
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttaglia View Post
2011 335d
Production date: 06/2011
Radio: BMW Professional

FYI - The car currently has USB and iPod integration.

What do I need for bluetooth?
If your car has the Combox then you will need the BT antenna, microphone , OEM harness and coding. Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for exact details.

It is quite more complicated if there is no Combox in your car (MULF-Hi).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #35
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Afaik: One way to tell whether you have the combox or MULF if you can't visually see it is to see whether a regular iPod cable (not the bmw dongle) and an iPod with mp3s will play over the stereo. If so, it's the combox. If not, it's the MULF.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #36
jttaglia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Afaik: One way to tell whether you have the combox or MULF if you can't visually see it is to see whether a regular iPod cable (not the bmw dongle) and an iPod with mp3s will play over the stereo. If so, it's the combox. If not, it's the MULF.
Great tip! I just tested mine and apparently I do not have the combox.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #37
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

I should add to this that I did the same test, and concluded I have the MULF (and 6FL) but I cannot find the MULF anywhere (I thought it would be in the trunk). So I'm less convinced that this is a definitive test.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I should add to this that I did the same test, and concluded I have the MULF (and 6FL) but I cannot find the MULF anywhere (I thought it would be in the trunk). So I'm less convinced that this is a definitive test.
Your MULF is most probably either behind or above your glovebox. That's the new location from factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #39
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Good to know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #40
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I was told before by an audio installer in my area that the main problem is that my radio is not MOST. When I asked about simply replacing my radio with MOST radio, every single installer told me that they have no experience with this process whatsoever. So, here's another problem: no one seems to know how to do it. I told them that I know it is going to be expensive and that I don't mind paying. Bun nobody dared to do it regardless. Does anyone know any installer in California with this kind of expertise?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519258
It is not only replacing the radio, you need a custom OEM harness for the Combox.
Thanks a lot. I'll check them out.
Visited them (Alexshop) a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't impressed. Same kind of place as anywhere else. Same treatment as anywhere else. Explained them what I wanted to do. They took my VIN and promised to get back to me. Never heard from them afterwards.

So, it is basically back to what I said before. Installing BT into a base car is theoretically "possible", of course, as it is theoretically possible to rebuild 335i into a Boeing 747. But it is a moot point: there's simply no people out there who can do it, and apparently there's no commercial feasibility in the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #41
TerryTibbs
3er
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i Sport Plus

Quote:
Your MULF is most probably either behind or above your glovebox. That's the new location from factory.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a similar question..

Soon to take delivery of a late 2011 production E90 318i which has the following:

- Basic BMW Professional Radio
- Steering wheel controls
- Bluetooth telephone preparation
- USB audio interface

- NO I-Drive/CIC

What I am interest to find out is if I can play an Iphone/ipod natively through the professional radio without utilising the AUX input. (Basically using the standard apple cable instead of the BMW cable).

For the above, I understand that the COMBOX may have native support, but the MULF does not.

Question is, with this setup, if an iphone/ipod doesnt work just over usb, will changing out for a combox enable this functionality (for an iphone).

Going further, would this allow the use of the music or media snap-in adaptor so that USB audio could be provided from an iphone, from the cradle???

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0