E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > $ 50.00 for coding??

03-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine

Arrow $ 50.00 for coding??

Damn, I just noticed at one of the sponsored events from Helix and they charge $ 50.00 for coding.
I guess I'll give a shout out to "onebadmofo" for all the positive comments from our forum members for all the great coding service he has done ,and did I mention, he does if for "FREE" for members?
Hopefully, if he is still providing this service to our members I'll get some coding too when I can get a day off of work.
      03-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

How many items will they code for $50? If they will code whatever you want for $50 then that's a pretty good deal. I was willing to pay $150+ for remote coding from Patry before Junior posted his thread. Luckily I waited.

There is nothing wrong with vendors who charge for coding to the people who just don't want to learn or are not good with computers. They are providing a service to them. No one is forcing them to pay.
      03-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Any joe shmo can code. All you need is the cable and an internet connection so you can google e92 coding and follow a few directions. Helix charges to keep the doors open and bring the members at e90post the products that they do. 50 bucks is cheap, not even a full tank if you think about it. Plus dealing with a pro shop and a back yard coder are two diff. things and can lead to two diff out comes. I'm not bashing on mofo but he is killing the market for our vendors and unless he can start providing free engineered hardware units for the N54 he's only softening the market.... =[
      03-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I will say this one last time... coding better be free as the NCSExpert software is property of BMW.

One thing is downloading a copy of NCSExpert -that most probably was posted in the Internet illegaly- for personal use or even to help others, another thing is making a buck out of something that was illegaly obtained.

Now if coding is part of a real job or a service -retrofitting a module for example- then charging for the job itself is completely acceptable, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I will say this one last time... coding better be free as the NCSExpert software is property of BMW.

One thing is downloading a copy of NCSExpert -that most probably was posted in the Internet illegaly- for personal use or even to help others, another thing is making a buck out of something that was illegaly obtained.

Now if coding is part of a real job or a service -retrofitting a module for example- then charging for the job itself is completely acceptable, IMO.
+1, it's one thing to charge for coding if you are using an Autologic or something similar, those things cost well over $10k and are the result of hundred if not thousands of hours of reverse engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
Any joe shmo can code. All you need is the cable and an internet connection so you can google e92 coding and follow a few directions. Helix charges to keep the doors open and bring the members at e90post the products that they do. 50 bucks is cheap, not even a full tank if you think about it. Plus dealing with a pro shop and a back yard coder are two diff. things and can lead to two diff out comes. I'm not bashing on mofo but he is killing the market for our vendors and unless he can start providing free engineered hardware units for the N54 he's only softening the market.... =[
and killing the market? please... that's like the dealerships and indy shops complaining that that some guy writes a repair DIY and posts it online for others or a guy who uses that information to help people fix their car for free is killing the service market. People always have the choice, have someone help them for free if it's offered, or pay a fee to some vendor, which other than a handful, have no more advanced knowledge than the guys who's offering it for free. (And in most cases is getting their information from all the people doing it for free)

There are great vendors on the board, like the Patryk and the guys over at bimmerretrofit that currently have unique solutions that only they can provide which are the results of hours of research and development. Their solutions will eventually become public knowledge and they will find other unique solutions to market. As is the way of the world in the information business, which is basically what this is.

Personally, I plan to help people in the Nashville area for free, even though I've spent at least $1000 in equipment alone already (cloned OPS head, true power supply, will eventually save for a full ICOM setup after my wedding, and buying a J2534 interface for passthru work.).

Last edited by Dracon; 03-28-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: I can't spell this morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
Actually, I'm surprised a pro shop would do coding unless they had the BMW equipment. If something goes wrong they could be looking a footing a very expensive repair bill; not to mentioned BMW might be upset with someone commercially using the software w/o a license.

I have no issue with a shop charging - they have to make a living but the downside seems large for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Actually, I'm surprised a pro shop would do coding unless they had the BMW equipment. If something goes wrong they could be looking a footing a very expensive repair bill; not to mentioned BMW might be upset with someone commercially using the software w/o a license.

I have no issue with a shop charging - they have to make a living but the downside seems large for them.
Honestly, a professional shop who wants to make their money doing coding/programming and retrofits will either invest in a ICOM+ISIS combination from BMW (giving dealership level access to the car) or invest in an Autologic (great for custom work and if you deal with more than just BMW).

Autologic has excellent support and I've personally seem them raise modules from the dead over the phone with the guy operating the unit. Next time I'm in the area, (they are based in Oxford and I lived in Peterborough for a short time which isn't too far away) I owe their support guys a beer down at the local pub.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Honestly, a professional shop who wants to make their money doing coding/programming and retrofits will either invest in a ICOM+ISIS combination from BMW (giving dealership level access to the car) or invest in an Autologic (great for custom work and if you deal with more than just BMW).
Sounds like we're in agreement. My experience is that pro shops invest in the tools they need - they really don't have time to mess with homebrew solutions. They make their money on being good and fast - so if coding can bring in enough to justify the tool cost they'll do it.

Now, if you really want to here whining - look at some locksmith forums. You'd ink providing information was the cause of massive starvation amongst the pro locksmiths.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
ddives
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 535i MSport X-Drive

Hi Dracon,

I'm in Nashville and just ordered my coding cable today for the explicit purpose of adding Sirius satellite to my 335i w/ navi. Would you be interested in advising on coding? I'd buy you a beer at Flying Saucer to make it worth your while.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Agree 100%

Quote:

05-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

I am gong to wipe the dashes with my anti bacterial wipes as a service, then give free coding. Now, who wants to get their dashes wipe clean for $50? I'll give free 10 easy NCS coding..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I agree with Technic - due to the circumstances $50 isn't expensive at all - depending on what they are coding for that $$.

Hey, you can go buy your own cable for $90 cheapest and do it yourself, but you'll already be $40 more...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
CasperSYTFU
SYTFU Crew
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 Toyota FJ

Garage List
^ yea hit up mofo

and seriously if they are coding new features and provide follow up assistance if needed for 50 its hella good. even more so if they offer retrofit coding for that 50 in addition
      05-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
aretardedorange
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60

mofo hands down very nice person. Hit him up!
Appreciate 0