E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Opel Insignia (Vauxhall Vectra) official shots leaked!

04-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Opel Insignia (Vauxhall Vectra) official shots leaked!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

This feels like a basic summary of modern (current) automotive design. It's not a bad thing really, it's just that it seems to define the way that cars have evolved. Note the high beltline, the somewhat bulging body panels, the crisp cut lines, and the very conservative and somewhat overly excercised front design that you can draw similarities to on many other cars (the way the hood lines flow down to the bottom of the bumper flanked by two brake ducts, and a lower air damn).

The headlights/taillights are nicely executed, and the lower swage line on the side adds some individuality (although I think it could extend a little further down the front, though that would compromise flow with the way the greenhouse flows into the A-pillar). The interior is also typical modern automotive design. I wouldn't call it flawed, but I wouldn't say it does anything for me either. If anything I'd say it's a bit too boring.

The overall proportions are nicely put together, with a somewhat long hood and a relatively short rear deck with what looks to be almost Nissan-like shoulders (or hips if you want to call them that).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

It's funny you say that because I was the thinking that. Even the interior looks Nissan-ish.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Damn, you summarised everything I would say lol...

yeah seriously though, I'm getting a little worried. Firstly the new Mazda 6. It screams Lexus IS on the road for some reason when you see the front. The rear is just bland, no other word. Now this Vectra...

You covered EVERY point I would make. I would just add that I agree that the side panel swoosh should be adjusted. At the mo, it reminds me of the IS-F, not in a good way LOL. IS-F could/should have executed that better too.

I think I'm starting to respect BMW more. Their design language might not always be the best in every example, but it is consistent yet they make their models look unique. You wouldnt mistake a 5 Series Touring for a 3 Series Touring like you might with the A4/A6 Avant.

Saying that, Audi has it's faults but on many occasions I prefer it over BMW's designs. I think BMW and Audi are at the top for me.
      04-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Damn, you summarised everything I would say lol...
yeah seriously though, I'm getting a little worried. Firstly the new Mazda 6. It screams Lexus IS on the road for some reason when you see the front. The rear is just bland, no other word. Now this Vectra...

You covered EVERY point I would make. I would just add that I agree that the side panel swoosh should be adjusted. At the mo, it reminds me of the IS-F, not in a good way LOL. IS-F could/should have executed that better too.

I think I'm starting to respect BMW more. Their design language might not always be the best in every example, but it is consistent yet they make their models look unique. You wouldnt mistake a 5 Series Touring for a 3 Series Touring like you might with the A4/A6 Avant.

Saying that, Audi has it's faults but on many occasions I prefer it over BMW's designs. I think BMW and Audi are at the top for me.
And likewise with your following comments.

Seriously, there should just be an HKS/BL design critique thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
And likewise with your following comments.

Seriously, there should just be an HKS/BL design critique thread.
Haha I know man. It's just a habit. I cant look at any car without thinking how it can be improved, even the smallest of details lol.
      04-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

LOL same here. I just wish I could just fix them or something.

(points to new Maxima...slaps designers in face as well)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
LOL same here. I just wish I could just fix them or something.

(points to new Maxima...slaps designers in face as well)

Sometimes I think BMW, Audi etc pay designers to screw up so they can steal their sales. Maybe this explains the hierarchy in the car world because sometimes I look at cars and think "It's impossible to look THIS ugly".