E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)

12-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)

About 6 weeks before deciding to post this thread, I successfully coded my 2006 E90 325i halogen for xenon. It took a lot of searching to be able to retrieve the correct files and correct DIYs for successful coding.

In the meantime, I have been helping others within the lighting forums here to code their cars for xenon, either with DEPO xenons (standard and FX-R) or with OEM xenon headlights.

Now's about the time when I condense all my documents into one easy-to-find space. After all, someone had to do it! I reuploaded some of the PDFs, because whoever uploaded them before uploaded them to a FTP server instead of HTTP, which was making them unbearably slow.

BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)
keep in mind that NFRM and FRM are used interchangibly (they mean the same thing and your car will have one or the other)

1. Order your cable and download the program/application files here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

2. Download Junior's NCS DIY here: http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_DIY.pdf
This PDF has important instructions for setting up your applications and for coding a fix/feature. Follow the first part of this regarding setting up the applications and setting up your profile within NCSExpert, but do not advance through the rest of this tutorial once you have your profile created. There are other important steps you need to accomplish before trying to code a fix/feature.

3. Download NCS Changing the VO (Generic) Tutorial here: http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf
This PDF has important instructions for changing your VO. Review this document to familiarize yourself with changing the VO, but do not advance through the tutorial just yet. You already have your profile created by following Junior's NCS DIY, so instead of loading "Expertmoden" every time, just load your created profile. This PDF leaves out some important steps which I will iterate below.

4. Follow my own personal Tutorial on Changing the VO for Xenon here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=228
This post has important instructions for changing your VO for Xenon specifically. It skips some steps that are outlined better in the generic VO tutorial above, but it also inputs some steps which that particular tutorial missed. Look back and forth between the PDF and this post to learn how to code the VO for xenon. This coding must be done before proceeding to code anything else into your CAS and FRM submodules. If this is not done first, all your coding will be reset when you have to come back and do this (I learned the hard way). If this is not done at all, your headlights will run the risk of having a wiring issue down the road or possibly just randomly shut off. Please understand the importance of doing this first.

5. Go back to Junior's NCS DIY pdf, and finish the latter half of it, which shows you how to properly code a fix/feature. Code all the cool features that you want, like "windows up with key fob" and "corner delete", etc.

6. Now that you know how to code properly, code out all bulb checks within the headlights (low beam, high beam, front signals, parking beams), warm and cold, from your FRM submodule. Also, code out all error messages from the same submodule. KALTUEBERWACHUNG = cold test; WARMUEBERWACHUNG = warm test; FEHLERMELDUNG = error message.

For a list of everything I coded (including all the bulb checks), click here.

For a list of every possible code available, click here.

Hopefully this helps anyone who is stuck with the coding or is getting the runaround or is just frankly getting confused about what all he/she needs to accomplish this coding feat! It's a lot easier than it looks, everyone!

Please do not PM me. Respond to this thread if you could.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 12-15-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
DistantCube
Rep
Drives: E90

Excellent guide, I will be following it this weekend, I'll post an update with how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
mr.e90
Captain
Rep

Will this coding work with lci xenon lights?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvasquez2428 View Post
Will this coding work with lci xenon lights?
Yes, it will. As long as you are going from halogen to xenon, this coding will work. Keep in mind that with most halogen-to-xenon conversions, proper wiring is still needed to function correctly. Coding is good at fixing errors, but wiring provides proper function.

E90 Pre-LCI Halogen--->Pre-LCI Xenon USE THIS CODING TUTORIAL
E90 Pre-LCI Halogen--->LCI Xenon USE THIS CODING TUTORIAL
E90 Pre-LCI Halogen--->DEPO Xenon USE THIS CODING TUTORIAL
E90 Pre-LCI Halogen--->LCI or DEPO Halogen NO NEED FOR CODING
E90 LCI Halogen--->Pre-LCI Xenon USE THIS CODING TUTORIAL
E90 LCI Halogen--->LCI Xenon USE THIS CODING TUTORIAL
E90 LCI Halogen--->DEPO Xenon USE THIS CODING TUTORIAL
E90 LCI Halogen--->DEPO Halogen NO NEED FOR CODING
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Great tutorial, I used it and now successfully coded for xenon
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

If you were to have looked around, you would have seen that a DIY was made for this. I know cause Dimsum and I took the time to get this conversion working long time ago and spent a lot of time to find the lines needed to make this conversion successfull. Also the fact that I created the coding diy for this.

I see you quoted (copied) the same coding lines I said when I posted the DIY.:-)

But goodjob on the post.

Last edited by DESI4life10; 12-17-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
If you were to have looked around, you would have seen that a DIY was made for this. I know cause Dimsum and I took the time to get this conversion working long time ago and spent a lot of time to find the lines needed to make this conversion successfull. Also the fact that I created the coding diy for this.

I see you quoted (copied) the same coding lines I said when I posted the DIY.:-)

But goodjob on the post.
I did look around the forums. Spent hours searching the forums for all the right lines of code, and I did see your posts, which were very helpful. The main reason why I created this post is so people in the same boat as me wouldn't have to search the forums as much as I had to. I just wanted to create a place where everyone could find everything they need to complete this feat.

Thanks for all your posts, but I wasn't able to find a DIY that spelled out word for word what I had to do with my 2006 to get the conversion running error-free. Following Junior's coding tutorial then the VO tutorial and your posts as well as my own coding background helped me become completely error-free.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

If you coded it right by adding the VO, you don't need to look at turning off the low beams checks (cold/warm). It would be wise to put that in for members that are doing a conversion to OEM xenon lights as the VO code will take care of turning on/off the correct checks for the XENON lights.

For aftermarket lights, you may have to still turn off the warm checks as you mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Also, the fact that you call out to erase the .man and code it into the car is bad advice. It has been discussed that doing this method to revert to stock is not the correct way.

It is best to use expertmode or a profile that does not manipulate fsw_psw.man files.

Basically usign expertmode, read the module, set the job to sg_coderin (SP) and then code the module (without needing to go into the work folder and touch the .man file).

I would change that step you have there to make it a 100% proper DIY.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you coded it right by adding the VO, you don't need to look at turning off the low beams checks (cold/warm). It would be wise to put that in for members that are doing a conversion to OEM xenon lights as the VO code will take care of turning on/off the correct checks for the XENON lights.

For aftermarket lights, you may have to still turn off the warm checks as you mentioned above.
This is true. As long as all OEM parts are used in the conversion, the VO coding should fix all errors, but even with OEM headlights and aftermarket HID or full aftermarket xenon conversion, it's best to get rid of any possible chance of error.

Also, going to LED turn signals also requires deactivating the bulb checks with most applications.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Well,

The OEM Xenon bulbs after coding has its cold check turned off, but the warm check is still active (why turn that off when that is how it works withcars that already have OEM xenons). This way, the car will still alert the drive if the bulb is about to blow etc. This is why I say you should also put this comment in for members that would like to still have a notification if the OEM lights burn out etc.

I agree that the checks for the LED turn signal has to be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, the fact that you call out to erase the .man and code it into the car is bad advice. It has been discussed that doing this method to revert to stock is not the correct way.

It is best to use expertmode or a profile that does not manipulate fsw_psw.man files.

Basically usign expertmode, read the module, set the job to sg_coderin (SP) and then code the module (without needing to go into the work folder and touch the .man file).

I would change that step you have there to make it a 100% proper DIY.
You even quote here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=4 that a blank .MAN file is the way to reset a module.

That's also the way I did it, and it worked for me just fine. I don't really see the problem with doing this after adding the $522. It's the only way I could get mine to work properly. Something's not bad advice when it's proven to work. I've seen lots of coders on here who suggest this method to reset a module. Just because it's not the way some people may do it doesn't make it "bad."

I only posted this tutorial to help others who had to spend hours searching and searching, just to become more and more scared of doing coding because of all the terminology and wealth of knowledge scattered throughout the forums. I know my tutorial isn't 100% perfect, but it did get the job done right for me, and we all know 2006 is the most finicky.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Yea..I used to do it that way as well and found out after that it wasn't recommended.

not sure if you venture outside onto other coding forums, but it isn't the proper way to do it (which is why I do it the other way using expertmode). Thanks for pointing out that thread, so I can update my post with the way I use it now.

People have screwed up modules using the blank .man file procedure (hence the reason it isn't recommended).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well,

The OEM Xenon bulbs after coding has its cold check turned off, but the warm check is still active (why turn that off when that is how it works withcars that already have OEM xenons). This way, the car will still alert the drive if the bulb is about to blow etc. This is why I say you should also put this comment in for members that would like to still have a notification if the OEM lights burn out etc.

I agree that the checks for the LED turn signal has to be turned off.
People who read this can pick and choose what they want to turn off and what they don't. They don't have to follow everything I did, and I think most people realize this. There's just no 100% guarantee that you're using all OEM parts unless the conversion is done by a dealership. If doing the VO Xenon coding works at fixing all your errors, then great! By all means, just do that! But if you're unsure, then it's good to just deactivate all the headlight bulb checks, so no errors will pop up later on. It's the user's choice.

Frankly, most people can tell when a bulb in a headlight is blown anyway (parking lamp, high beam, low beam, etc.).
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea..I used to do it that way as well and found out after that it wasn't recommended.

not sure if you venture outside onto other coding forums, but it isn't the proper way to do it (which is why I do it the other way using expertmode). Thanks for pointing out that thread, so I can update my post with the way I use it now.
Not trying to be combative here, but who clarifies what is proper and what isn't? I'm an IT Administrator, and when something I'm coding works and works well, I roll with it. I mean, there are basic rules to follow when doing any coding, but when something works as it should, I don't question whether it was "proper" or not, because who determines proper? People in my profession sometimes say this too... "that's not the proper way" but really there is not just one way to do things.

Maybe there's a better way to do this... great! But since this way works, I suggest doing it this way.

By the way, how could a module get ruined by this method? In my understanding, the submodules which are reset using this method will form their code based on the model type, the FA string, etc. I don't really see how it could get messed up? When I first started coding, I even accidentally did SG_CODIEREN with one module's .MAN file code and coded that to another module, when I was going too quickly and got interrupted by someone. All it did was reset the module back to its original code. If someone messed up their module, it had to be from something more serious.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 12-17-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Ummm...The expermode way of reverting to stock was raised by members who are professionals at doing BMW codings.

But your right, people can pick and choose what they would like to do.

Just because it "looks" like it worked doesn't mean that everything is 100% fine. But whatever. Glad the Xenon DIY worked well for your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ummm...The expermode way of reverting to stock was raised by members who are professionals at doing BMW codings.

But your right, people can pick and choose what they would like to do.

Just because it "looks" like it worked doesn't mean that everything is 100% fine. But whatever. Glad the Xenon DIY worked well for your car.
Thanks! Your posts in earlier threads did truly help... I actually pointed a lot of people towards those threads, but most people came to me with PMs, and they sounded overwhelmed with the whole process. Someone even told me to put everything into one place, so it'd be easy for people to find, so I did.

By all means, someone should only choose to do the coding that works for his/her car. Every car is different, every ECU is slightly different (even within model years), so every person's errors are going to be different. I just tried to give a way for people to get rid of every possible headlight error that could arise. If one coding fix does the trick, do that, but if you need to do more coding, then follow the complete tutorial if you like.

I always recommend doing the VO $522 no matter what, because bulb checks alone may fix your errors but will not be telling the car the truth... that you're running xenons!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #18
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Trevendous's steps worked well for me, and if it works then I'm all for it!! I'll report back in a week or 2 just for an update though.
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #19
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I love how no one ever thanked me for anything, but only accused me of withholding information. At least DESI4life10 still remembers I helped him with the xenon conversion.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #20
DistantCube
Rep

I followed this tutorial and read all of the relevant threads extensively, although I did it the expertmode way, and have successfully got rid of all the errors (of which I had all of them).

Thanks to everyone, Trevendous03, dimsum and desi4life10 (and anyone else) who posted helpful information.

And seriously guys, there's no need to act like women. Did you really do this for recognition or just to be helpful from your own experience. If someone puts something up to help people, then a little tact goes a long way.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #21
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
I love how no one ever thanked me for anything, but only accused me of withholding information. At least DESI4life10 still remembers I helped him with the xenon conversion.
People accused you of withholding information? I heard that some people withheld information to try to make money off the whole thing, but I didn't see that in your case. I felt that your posts were very helpful and had some useful tips. I hope I was able to get everything out there in one spot. I mean I know things are still scattered a bit, but at least this is a good starting place to find everything needed instead of having to do a lot of advanced searches. I also re-uploaded those important files because they were really slow on the other server.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantCube View Post
I followed this tutorial and read all of the relevant threads extensively, although I did it the expertmode way, and have successfully got rid of all the errors (of which I had all of them).

Thanks to everyone, Trevendous03, dimsum and desi4life10 (and anyone else) who posted helpful information.

And seriously guys, there's no need to act like women. Did you really do this for recognition or just to be helpful from your own experience. If someone puts something up to help people, then a little tact goes a long way.
Good to hear all of your errors are resolved as well!
Appreciate 0