E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > when is a vendor ACTUALLY gonna step up...

09-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

when is a vendor ACTUALLY gonna step up...

AND MAKE SOME COILOVERS FOR THE XI THAT CAN ACTUALLY GO LOW!!

i mean is it that hard?(for the pros) custom spring rates, shorter struts...etc etc idk?

it seems like its just so damn hard to find something that can be slammed in the front for these cars, anything new out there that the rest of us dont know about?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Amen brother. Right now, it looks like bags are the only option.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

You should go in and look at the front knuckles before you condemn the vendors. In order to pass the front drive shafts through the knuckles they had to raise the strut mounting point. This reduced the available distance between the knuckle and the top of the strut tower. You could build a strut to go in that space but you would have so little travel in the strut that you may as well be riding on solid chunks of metal. Add to it that the X-drive market is much smaller than the RWD market and the R&D costs would not be offset by sales.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I don't know if it's just me. But, I've been able to tuck in the front and rear. Maybe mine is different.. I have KW V3 and I can hide all of my tire and tuck a little. I don't have any pics, because it's not my style, but I was playing with it a while back. My current set up is pretty low, but only half way spun down on the front.
      09-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

TC Kline makes cut down Koni struts to custom spec and they are relatively cheap. They also include them in their SA coil over Koni-based kit.

As others have pointed out their are limits due to AWD and front spindles. You can get very low but at a certain point it is just not feasible to get much lower and not be riding on metal.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
You should go in and look at the front knuckles before you condemn the vendors. In order to pass the front drive shafts through the knuckles they had to raise the strut mounting point. This reduced the available distance between the knuckle and the top of the strut tower. You could build a strut to go in that space but you would have so little travel in the strut that you may as well be riding on solid chunks of metal. Add to it that the X-drive market is much smaller than the RWD market and the R&D costs would not be offset by sales.
i have looked.. and how im i condemning anyone?

im just saying it CAN be done and im sure there is a broad market of people that would be willing to pay the price, not everyone is into bags.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Amen brother. Right now, it looks like bags are the only option.
i guess so dude, in reality..it may just we woth spending the extra couple grand
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
I don't know if it's just me. But, I've been able to tuck in the front and rear. Maybe mine is different.. I have KW V3 and I can hide all of my tire and tuck a little. I don't have any pics, because it's not my style, but I was playing with it a while back. My current set up is pretty low, but only half way spun down on the front.
i think v3s are actually the ones that can seem to go the lowest, but dont they run like 2-2.5k? damnn i mean ad a couple hundred bucks and you got yourself an airbag kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

You are complaining that they won't "step up". I would call that a pretty indicting statement there.

And as far as the "broad" market for them; how many folks do you really think would be interested in getting that low? I have my KW V1's maxed out high and scrape more than I would like. Aside from show cars I highly doubt there are even a dozen owners out there looking to go that low. Not enough to offset the NRE associated with fielding a new kit for sure. Not to mention the complaints that would follow regarding the rock hard ride that would come along with a kit like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_506 View Post
i guess so dude, in reality..it may just we woth spending the extra couple grand
If I had it to spare, I'd be sitting on bags haha. I picked up my V3's for under a grand.

Quote:
You are complaining that they won't "step up". I would call that a pretty indicting statement there.

And as far as the "broad" market for them; how many folks do you really think would be interested in getting that low? I have my KW V1's maxed out high and scrape more than I would like. Aside from show cars I highly doubt there are even a dozen owners out there looking to go that low. Not enough to offset the NRE associated with fielding a new kit for sure. Not to mention the complaints that would follow regarding the rock hard ride that would come along with a kit like that.
I assure you that there would be more than a dozen people looking to slam their cars on coils. If you're scraping a lot with your coils as high as they go, maybe try being a bit more attentive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

i'm on KW v3 on my e92 xdrive and i have at least 7 threads to go lower on the front and IIRC like 10 left in the rear, not that i have any plans to lower the car any further. there's plenty of options out there for people who want to lower their cars. Theres a bunch of setups that get you lower than the height that most people actually drive around with when they're on air-ride.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #12
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
i think v3s are actually the ones that can seem to go the lowest, but dont they run like 2-2.5k? damnn i mean ad a couple hundred bucks and you got yourself an airbag kit.
i paid less than 2k shipped without any rebates. PM Taigo@vrsf, he seems to have the best prices around for KW
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Seems like it. And, they're around 2 grand. A used set is actually a bargain.
      09-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
TC Kline makes cut down Koni struts to custom spec and they are relatively cheap. They also include them in their SA coil over Koni-based kit.

As others have pointed out their are limits due to AWD and front spindles. You can get very low but at a certain point it is just not feasible to get much lower and not be riding on metal.
This is one of the only out of the box better options to get lower up front on xdrive. However it depends how one defines low. For static, it's pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblue View Post
i'm on KW v3 on my e92 xdrive and i have at least 7 threads to go lower on the front and IIRC like 10 left in the rear, not that i have any plans to lower the car any further. there's plenty of options out there for people who want to lower their cars. Theres a bunch of setups that get you lower than the height that most people actually drive around with when they're on air-ride.

Looks like you are on 18s. Major difference. Looks good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Same with me when I was running V3s. They indeed do go a tad lower than the V1s do. That pic would be really helpful I think.

Quote:
Slightly lower Chris..but not so much so that it is noticeable. We're talking very minor here. You should really contact Parker at BWS.

Quote:
..And as far as the "broad" market for them; how many folks do you really think would be interested in getting that low? I have my KW V1's maxed out high and scrape more than I would like. Aside from show cars I highly doubt there are even a dozen owners out there looking to go that low. ..
You answered your own question. Or do you think xi guys aren't show car worthy? Several east coast e92s that are show cars would be happy if they didn't have to bag the car to achieve the fitment they want. Myself included.
      09-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
This is one of the only out of the box better options to get lower up front on xdrive. However it depends how one defines low. For static, it's pretty good.

Looks like you are on 18s. Major difference. Looks good though.

Same with me when I was running V3s. They indeed do go a tad lower than the V1s do. That pic would be really helpful I think.

Slightly lower Chris..but not so much so that it is noticeable. We're talking very minor here. You should really contact Parker at BWS.

You answered your own question. Or do you think xi guys aren't show car worthy? Several east coast e92s that are show cars would be happy if they didn't have to bag the car to achieve the fitment they want. Myself included.
what is parker at BWS gonna offer me?
Appreciate 0