E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Wax on, Wax off

02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

Wax on, Wax off

Is there such a thing as TOO much waxing?

I love the way my car looks after a fresh wax. With the way the weather has been in NYC with constant rain, snow and salt, I'd like to be able to wax more often. BUT I just wanted to know if there are any issues with doing it too frequently? Will it cause any harm to the paint? Just curious cuz there's always some kinda weird horror story.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Too much of washing, too much of waxing, too much of rubbing towels will cause swirls over the time.
Apply 2 layers of wax after wash and you are good to go for next few months.
Always wax before winter, one in middle and use spray wax in between after each wash.
i used ONR for a month and now i see some swirls all over the car, i used garden sprayer with ONR filled and always used new MF towels. I am going to use Gilmour foam gun from now on and waffle dry towles and wont rubb drying towel against the paint after wash; just tap it
http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=2269
If i was you, i would get the car detailed by good detailer and apply Carpro CQUARTZ to protect paint for two years and cover front bumper,hood and mirrors and rear bumper with Paint protection film. Car secured from rain,snow and salt
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Waxing is only, if even 10% of the look. Polishing is what creates great looks. Waxing too often is a bad thing. You are wasting product, money, and inducing more swirls than there should be. You should only be waxing about every month depending on if you car is a garage queen or a daily driver and the sun and heat conditions.
      02-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

There are people who enjoy the act of waxing. They find it relaxing.

Wax is primary for protection and it does add a little gloss but polishing is where the shine comes from. All LSPs (wax, sealant) do fill to a degree so the look " Fresh wax" you referred to is the product filling-in on the defects of the surface. A good wax will last 4-5 weeks in the ideal condition, a sealant is often in months, and a coating in years.

Like others had said... doing it too much will run the risk of marring if you don't employ the correct techniques and disciplines. In reality, you run the same risk every time you rub the surface with a dry medium. If you have one of these nightmarish soft paint systems such as the BMW "Jet Black" then multiply this several folds. There are products currently available that would give you the slick feel while providing protection with a simple spray on and rinse off approach (Permanon Platinum and CarPro HydrO2 Touchless Silica Sealant). Both of these products will also temporary make you paint hydrophobic and you can literally dry your car with a leaf blower after a wash.

CarPro HydrO2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrTLqId3z_Q

Permanon Platinum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpmLOp5DToo

These two items are even better on a coating such as CQuartz or Opti-coat.
      02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Trust me,i have done all,stay away from waterless wash,just do yourself a favour. get it detailed by professional "good investment in long run", put carpro cquartz coat on and you are good to go and you dont have to wax/polish it often and no need to worry about swirls and stuff like that
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

Thanks for the feedback gentleman. I guess too much of ANYTHING is never a good thing. LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you want that fresh wax look after every wash why not try something like dodo juice red mist, or any other spray sealant that is a simple spray and wipe. It what I do...currently using gtechnique's 1.5 silo - not sure this sell over the waters where you are but loads of suitable alternatives are available
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
If you want that fresh wax look after every wash why not try something like dodo juice red mist, or any other spray sealant that is a simple spray and wipe. It what I do...currently using gtechnique's 1.5 silo - not sure this sell over the waters where you are but loads of suitable alternatives are available
We have GTechnig in the States. Great products. I like both the EXO and the C1 as well as C1.5 (Silo Seal).

Both products I mentioned in my previous posts are not Rinse-less washes...they are LSPs (sealants). The application of these 2 products are simply spray on and rinse off. Once it has been applied, water could be blown off with a blower with ease ( after every wash thereafter).
      02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

There is a thing as too much wax

You can try sealant wax it lasts longer than carnauba wax. Apply 1 layer let it chill for a bit then buff it off (doesn't need to be perfect after the first buff), then hit it with a second layer, then buff off and you're done. You don't need to put on too much wax as well, as long as you see a nice coverage over it, it'd just take more time buff off the wax. Just PM if you have any other questions. =)
Appreciate 0