E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rogue Engineering rear toe arms review

11-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Quite simple, I think you've answered your own question. If you know "the theoretical benefit of replacing bushings with ball joints", then the outcome is (what you are looking for) "steering accuracy and on-center" feedback. It just that simple.
I probably shouldn't have seemed to jump on you; it wasn't my intention. And I also didn't mean to discount your contribution, or in any way cast doubt on the performance of the part. Summarizing what others have said, as I think you were trying to do earlier, makes perfect sense and is valuable as confirmation.

Reducing deflection in the rear suspension does not always have a noticeable effect on on-center feel. For examples of this, I give you the M3 subframe bushings, rear guide link, and rear wishbone link.

Quote:
The "difference" is the spherical bearing eliminates slop and alignment changes that stock rubber bushings under load. Unlike DAFish's direction, my focus and direction was to supplement positive lateral input by changing three of links (rear guide arms, rear upper link, and rear toe arms) and at track geometry changes.
I believe it. But, to press the issue: you didn't directly observe the elimination of slop. You didn't have a camera under there, or Bubba under there, to watch the toe arm as you careened around the track. You observed something else, some effect of the slop being eliminated. I'm asking about what that effect was.

If you were to say, for example, that it feels as if there is less play, or less dead zone, in the steering at or near center -- then I would know what you're saying. If you were to say there is some (more) wiggling and writhing of the steering wheel, on center, at 110 mph -- then I would know what you're saying. If you were to say, the car reacts faster to initial steering inputs (short form: "faster turn in") -- then I would know what you're saying.

It's your description of what you actually observed, as opposed to what you deduced, that I wanted to elicit from you.

Quote:
More importantly having installed: M3 front end bits, sway bars, performance shocks, and performance tires all together contribute in how I want my car to behave. For me it wasn't just changing the rear toe links; rather, a total suspension package changes (with more upgrades to come) to meet a more "planted" feel.
This is a very important point, and I agree with you. Usually there's no one piece that has an intended effect by itself. The various parts work together to stiffen up the chassis.

It sounds like you did change the rear arms first, without the M3 subframe bushings, and were not satisfied with the result, at least on the race track but maybe on the road as well.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
What is NVH?

On center feel is better car track better, less tramlining

Straight line better, and no it wasn't right before but that could have been my alignment

High speed feels muchbetter
Thanks. Sounds really good. I think you have the other M3 rear links, but I will try just the toe arm first.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
Thanks. Sounds really good. I think you have the other M3 rear links, but I will try just the toe arm first.
You already replaced the most important rear link; this would be next. I doubt you'd need the M3 upper link and guide rods unless you're experiencing rear wheel hop under hard acceleration..
      11-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
I believe it. But, to press the issue: you didn't directly observe the elimination of slop. You didn't have a camera under there, or Bubba under there, to watch the toe arm as you careened around the track. You observed something else, some effect of the slop being eliminated. I'm asking about what that effect was.
Don't be ridiculous. You know the purpose of a heim joint. On a comparative basis to the OEM link to a RE or VM links, its' design is to eliminate the slop; rather, drastically reduce deflection. You're smart guy you know what I mean.

Quote:
It's your description of what you actually observed, as opposed to what you deduced, that I wanted to elicit from you.
I think I've already answered you. I don't like to belabor the point or be vague without being laborious in this thread, in essence, asked and answered. I found the VMs links provides the positive lateral response (feedback) through a turn I'm looking for. By this, I can manage and modulate the speed into and in the turn. Then a better exist speed. For my platform, it's fine. Can it be better, yeah there's room for further improvement.

Answered your question?

Quote:
It sounds like you did change the rear arms first, without the M3 subframe bushings, and were not satisfied with the result, at least on the race track but maybe on the road as well.
Yep.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 11-29-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #27
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
You already replaced the most important rear link; this would be next. I doubt you'd need the M3 upper link and guide rods unless you're experiencing rear wheel hop under hard acceleration..
I have not felt wheel hop so far. I fear my car is not powerful enough to do that.

I have felt what seemed like toe out on the outside rear wheel. I was in a sweeper turn and applying moderate throttle. Tires weren't complaining, and somehow it didn't feel like slip. It was very creepy.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #28
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. You know the propose of a heim joint. On a comparative basis to the OEM link to a RE or VM links, its' design is to eliminate the slop; rather, drastically reduce deflection. You're smart guy you know what I mean.
Yes I know the construction of the rod ends, and I do feel I understand what you're saying about the elimination of slop. My attempts to draw a distinction between your experience behind the steering wheel on the one hand, and the elimination of slop behind the rear wheel on the other hand, seem to frustrate you so I'll stop doing it...

Quote:
Answered your question?
I get a little more with each description you give, and I do get a sense of where you're coming from. Anyway I'm happy to move on. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience, and maybe it's because I'm not an experienced race car driver, as you are, that we can't communicate at higher bandwidth.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #29
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"... I'm not an experienced race car driver..."
Neither am I.

One thing I can highly recommend is joining NASA and start going to Thunder Hill or Infineon race tracks since you're local guy. It's nothing but a great times and a great way to sort out the suspension.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Without changing the M3 sub frame bushings, this link system will not cure the rear suspension wallow that most of us complain about. There's a drastic reduction of wallowing through moderate and sharp turns on comparative basis to a rubber bushing links. As mentioned here and other threads, I do highly recommend swapping the rear sub-frame bushings for the M3 ones first (or simultaneously) before any other suspension link upgrades.

More importantly having installed: M3 front end bits, sway bars, performance shocks, and performance tires all together contribute in how I want my car to behave. For me it wasn't just changing the rear toe links; rather, a total suspension package changes (with more upgrades to come) to meet a more "planted" feel.
This just shows how complex the modding is.. you can't just change one arm, and you have to look at your objectives of your modding.

I wanted the car to handle as good as a M3. Springs/shocks/M3 arms all round, subframe, toe links, sways and LSD in retrospect should have all been done at the same time. I wanted the car to be solid and rid myself of the understeer that I believe to be very excessive.

When I did the Dinan stage 3 - I did the front M3 arms at the same time and then the rear end was all wobbly. The LSD, rear bar, rear M3 arms when on after that and it was a massive step in fixing this - but it still wasn't right. The toe arms now have this under control.

All of this to have the massive power I have now to go in a straight line where I point it... like the M3 does.

Looking at the 335i stock parts coming off this car, I can't believe it went straight stock.... everything is rubber....

I look at the mods that Aplina has done, it doesn't suprise me he has done the signifcant amount of mods he has because he is on the track.

WHEN I go on the track, I will need to do a lot more - oil coolers, tires, brakes....

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #31
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This just shows how complex the modding is.. you can't just change one arm, and you have to look at your objectives of your modding.
Absolutely agree

Quote:
I wanted the car to handle as good as a M3. Springs/shocks/M3 arms all round, subframe, toe links, sways and LSD in retrospect should have all been done at the same time. I wanted the car to be solid and rid myself of the understeer that I believe to be very excessive.

When I did the Dinan stage 3 - I did the front M3 arms at the same time and then the rear end was all wobbly. The LSD, rear bar, rear M3 arms when on after that and it was a massive step in fixing this - but it still wasn't right. The toe arms now have this under control.

All of this to have the massive power I have now to go in a straight line where I point it... like the M3 does.
Sounds like we both went through threw same type of process. Bit here, another bit change there. All to find out, oops I'm upside down in another area. Higher amounts of power will show the flaws very quickly about a person's setup. The changes must be done evenly. Placing BKKs are just as important as the toe links.

Quote:
Looking at the 335i stock parts coming off this car, I can't believe it went straight stock.... everything is rubber....
Here's an example of the OEM vs VM links. Plus, the OEM link looks like complete garage. The M3 links look more proper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Absolutely agree

Sounds like we both went through threw same type of process. Bit here, another bit change there. All to find out, oops I'm upside down in another area. Higher amounts of power will show the flaws very quickly about a person's setup. The changes must be done evenly. Placing BKKs are just as important as the toe links.

Here's an example of the OEM vs VM links. Plus, the OEM link looks like complete garage. The M3 links look more proper.

With the VM arms major deflections are removed.

With oem arms, not only the bushings have large deflections, the arm itself is made to bow under load as well, not good for getting the power to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #33
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
With the VM arms major deflections are removed.

With oem arms, not only the bushings have large deflections, the arm itself is made to bow under load as well, not good for getting the power to the ground.
The M3 toe arm -- which doesn't fit our cars. What type of joint does it have? Sealed heim joint?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
The M3 toe arm -- which doesn't fit our cars. What type of joint does it have? Sealed heim joint?
Yes, very similar to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #35
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Yes, very similar to it.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #36
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

With one of these toe arms, is NVH a guarantee?

Would the NVH be greater than an M3 (assuming you had already installed all the M3 bits)?

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #37
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post

Would the NVH be greater than an M3 (assuming you had already installed all the M3 bits)?
The NVH is ever so slight ( I have 3 out five links done). The degree of NVH produce is not a decision deterrent. The ratio of performance factor to NVH out weighs it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #38
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The NVH is ever so slight ( I have 3 out five links done). The degree of NVH produce is not a decision deterrent. The ratio of performance factor to NVH out weighs it.
Agreed. I found the ride firmed up and you can feel more NVH for sure with all the links in. I find the Koni dampers too firm though (on full soft) and this is transmitting more NVH than the arms did.

That said, it is about a 1 out of 10. You can notice it.

The handling, well that is about an 8 out of 10. Square setup would take it to a 10.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #39
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

don't worry about NVH. It is not a concern.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #40
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The NVH is so small and the performance outweighs it by a large margin.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #41
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I find the Koni dampers too firm though (on full soft) and this is transmitting more NVH than the arms did.
Hmm, now here is an interesting statement. I assume you have the Koni Yellows,and you've find them too firm. Where I too have Koni Yellows, I'm constantly adjusting them to be firmer (at the same time, I do not like to be riding on a buckboard).

According to your sig, you have the Dinan Stage 3 springs and I'm on OEM Sport springs. Sounds like we may both be satisfied with BMW's Performance Springs. With their spring rate (Front: 195 lb/in Rear: 505 lb/in), it may be ideal balance.

Harold and everyone, thoughts on this comment?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My attempts to draw a distinction between your experience behind the steering wheel on the one hand, and the elimination of slop behind the rear wheel....
Ok Luckylu, what you're asking me is to describe something that has way too many variables or event dependent. But I did encounter an experience as I was coming home this evening.

The scenario is on a high-speed transition ramp from one highway (85N) to another highway (280N). The road was banking towards the left, two vehicles in front of me and positioned in each of the two lanes. There was about a 100 ft. of spacing between the two.

I'm pushing 70-75, jumped to 90 into the banking bend left, splitting the two into the turn, passing them both . As I turned into banked road, I transferring weight on to the front right smoothly, turning, the rear felt solid and connected even with a surface transition (or bump) that stepped out the rear slightly. Via seat-of-the-pants and steering feedback, the unsettled moment still gave me a steering response that included sharpness and confidence about the rear end.

Now, I feel a fair amount of percentage of how the rear end performed and conveyed was due to the VM linkages. Hope may explain to your question about an "experience behind the steering wheel on the one hand, and the elimination of slop behind the rear wheel".
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #43
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Hmm, now here is an interesting statement. I assume you have the Koni Yellows,and you've find them too firm. Where I too have Koni Yellows, I'm constantly adjusting them to be firmer (at the same time, I do not like to be riding on a buckboard).

According to your sig, you have the Dinan Stage 3 springs and I'm on OEM Sport springs. Sounds like we may both be satisfied with BMW's Performance Springs. With their spring rate (Front: 195 lb/in Rear: 505 lb/in), it may be ideal balance.

Like 'DaFish', I find the Koni's to be a little bit firm too and I've got the zsp springs. Different strokes I guess. If you feel like you're riding on a buckboard you want to turn down the rebound damping in the rear. I did and it helped improve pitch.
How do you know those are the spring rates for the BMW performance springs? Who knows what Dinan's rates are/they won't tell you.
Sorry, went OT.

Last edited by cvc 22349a; 11-29-2011 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ya, they are custom valved Koni's by Dinan. The ride in bumper to bumper traffic going over compression joints is harsh. On the highway, going 120 kms/hour is ok. CVC was saying the same thing and he was on ZSP springs so we are ruling out the springs and blaming the shocks.

Because we have all of the M3 bits on, this gets transferred to the cabin.

Still, then handling is superbly improved - especially high speed. Cornering feel is great now.

Appreciate 0