E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth

12-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #111
plotino
Rep
Drives: e91 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
I routed the wire from the radio to the roof light. I removed the rubber from the door frame, and this gave me access to the A pillar (there is about 6-7mm of open space covered by the rubber door seal). Take care with the airbag, the wire must not block airbag deployment. I removed the sun visor and roof handle and I could lower the roof a bit and push the wire all the way to the center front dome light
Thanks for the further details! I'll try to follow your instructions to install the mic on my e91.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #112
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

If you have the phone prep, you can access the fzd microphone harness into the junction box and join the microphone wires to the radio.

This is my plan. Anybody did it before?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #113
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST
the mic wires end with 2 pin connectors that you insert in the bmw plastic connector. Pins are the same vw/bmw, so they will work

Haven't tested bluetooth on the road, only when stationary and worked great, other person did not know I was on carkit
Did you test it on the road?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #114
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

I did test it on the road, works excellent, the other person could not tell I was on carkit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #115
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

sorry i didn't read the whole thread so dunno if it was brought up, but I have a 2006 325i but I have the professional HU, yet I have none of these features.

Is it radios from a certain year E9X that work?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #116
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
sorry i didn't read the whole thread so dunno if it was brought up, but I have a 2006 325i but I have the professional HU, yet I have none of these features.

Is it radios from a certain year E9X that work?
Not reading the whole thread is a really quick way to get cussed out, and admitting that you're just being lazy is almost worse. So I'll do this before someone else does:

But I'll be nice anyway. Synopsis:

Professional HUs can be retrofitted with bluetooth and/or USB by adding another box in the trunk (MULF) and appropriate wiring, then coding the units properly.

Additionally, very new headunits (still called Professional) can be purchased which have USB and Bluetooth built-in, also enabled by appropriate coding and wiring.

In your case, you don't have any of the features because you need to wire in a MULF, mic, bluetooth antenna, USB cable, and AUX socket with USB jack.

If you want more information, search.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #117
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Not reading the whole thread is a really quick way to get cussed out, and admitting that you're just being lazy is almost worse. So I'll do this before someone else does:

But I'll be nice anyway. Synopsis:

Professional HUs can be retrofitted with bluetooth and/or USB by adding another box in the trunk (MULF) and appropriate wiring, then coding the units properly.

Additionally, very new headunits (still called Professional) can be purchased which have USB and Bluetooth built-in, also enabled by appropriate coding and wiring.

In your case, you don't have any of the features because you need to wire in a MULF, mic, bluetooth antenna, USB cable, and AUX socket with USB jack.

If you want more information, search.
Thanks for the synopsis!

I don't think I'll bother. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of difference.

Last thing though, do I still have the upgraded amp in comparison?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #118
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the synopsis!

I don't think I'll bother. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of difference.

Last thing though, do I still have the upgraded amp in comparison?
The bluetooth certainly is convenient, but I'm not sure I'd pay the hundreds of dollars for the OEM USB - it's not terribly useful. It's convenient, but you're better off going third party with a Kufatec Fiscon (most expensive, most useful), Mobridge, or Parrot (least OEM, but still gets you BT, BT streaming stereo, and USB).

And unclear. The Professional HU is prerequisite for hifi, but I don't think means you have it automatically. There were periods when american cars came with hifi as the lowest option, but I'm not sure where your car falls.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #119
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
The bluetooth certainly is convenient, but I'm not sure I'd pay the hundreds of dollars for the OEM USB - it's not terribly useful. It's convenient, but you're better off going third party with a Kufatec Fiscon (most expensive, most useful), Mobridge, or Parrot (least OEM, but still gets you BT, BT streaming stereo, and USB).

And unclear. The Professional HU is prerequisite for hifi, but I don't think means you have it automatically. There were periods when american cars came with hifi as the lowest option, but I'm not sure where your car falls.
One needs tweeters in the doors (by the mirrors) to qualify for having HiFi right?

I always assumed mine did because of this.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #120
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One needs tweeters in the doors (by the mirrors) to qualify for having HiFi right?

I always assumed mine did because of this.
Yes, and that indicates that you definitely do have hifi. So you should have an analog-connected amp in the back left of your trunk right below where the CD changer would go (there should be a removable plastic plate covering it). I say analog because the Logic 7 amp connects to the source (headunit) via MOST and streams all the audio over fiber optic before D to A and amplification.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #121
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:

from what i've read, the same professional HU is used for normal, hifi and logic7 audio setup. it's just what the HU is coded for that makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #122
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't know what model years they were optional on, but the lowest HU is for sure 'business'.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #123
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

Quote:
I don't know what model years they were optional on, but the lowest HU is for sure 'business'.
In USA, HiFi+Professional HU is the lowest option I think

Here in Spain you have the Stereo speakers + Business HU as lower option which is a complete piece of shit.

4 Speakers of 4" and 2 woofers of 6,5" are the lowest in Spain (and the rest of countries I think) and only 15Wx4. (6 speakers and 60W rms total)

HiFi option has 4 speakers of 4", 4 Tweeters of 1" and 2 woofers of 8" and its offer 4x25W + 2x40W (10 speakers and 180W rms total)

The firsts Professional HU was capable:
- Logic 7
- Hifi
- Individual Audio
- Bluetooth
- USB
- CD Changer

Using MOST ring and external modules such as MULF, ULF, Sirius, CDC, AMP...

The new models come without MOST gateway depending on which equipment will be fitted. So if you have Logic7 or a CDC you need one suitable for this.

HiFi option is still available with ALL Professional HU (and with business too I think) because the HiFi amp is connected to the analogic lines.

Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw oem audio systems tis.pdf (191.5 KB, 513 views)
      12-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #124
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Guys,

Everything works (BT, USB, VoiceControl) exepting the 6FL (Ipod Integration).

As I had to code the 2URAD manually, I could have missed one parameter to activate the Ipod option.

Anybody has an idea or can share his 2RAD / 2URAD MAN file from a working 6FL radio?

When you code with VO $6FL, it start working?

Anybody here have been able to use the IPOD integration on a 2006?

Last edited by woodpecka; 12-20-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #125
dasacom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318d, E90

Hi,

at the end of the video you mention to change the wiring of the tweeters when running an Alpine Hifi Set.

Is there an difference because of the change from Radio Business to Radio Prof.?

I would like to change from an old Radio Prof. (without BT/USB) to a new one with integrated USB/BT. So do I have to change wiring?

Thanks, Kind regards,
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #126
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Guys,

Everything works (BT, USB, VoiceControl) exepting the 6FL (Ipod Integration).

As I had to code the 2URAD manually, I could have missed one parameter to activate the Ipod option.

Anybody has an idea or can share his 2RAD / 2URAD MAN file from a working 6FL radio?

When you code with VO $6FL, it start working?

Anybody here have been able to use the IPOD integration on a 2006?
more info:
-When I use the BMW cable, nothing happen.
-When I use the ipod std cable, I got an Ipod icon with a wrong cable msg.

So, the radio looks coded for Ipod but can use it when installed. I'm trying to found a know working cable and doing the test. Maybe my cable is broken.
Or, my coding is wrong to use the ipod connection.

I would like to get your 2RAD 2URAD MAN files to compare the codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #127
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
more info:

So, the radio looks coded for Ipod but can use it when installed. I'm trying to found a know working cable and doing the test. Maybe my cable is broken.

So the problem there is that 90% of people can't code their 2RAD or 2URAD, which means we can't pull .MAN files to give you for comparison

But an easy test in the mean time is - load a USB thumb drive up with a couple of .mp3 or .mp4 files and plug it in. If you can browse them on the headunit, you've got a messed up Y cable but your coding is all set.

I'd try two thumb drives before you conclude that the coding is the problem - the 6FL can be pretty picky about which drives it likes. They definitely need to be formatted fat32 as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #128
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So the problem there is that 90% of people can't code their 2RAD or 2URAD, which means we can't pull .MAN files to give you for comparison

But an easy test in the mean time is - load a USB thumb drive up with a couple of .mp3 or .mp4 files and plug it in. If you can browse them on the headunit, you've got a messed up Y cable but your coding is all set.

I'd try two thumb drives before you conclude that the coding is the problem - the 6FL can be pretty picky about which drives it likes. They definitely need to be formatted fat32 as well.
Thank you for you reply.

USB work fine! I can browse by all types my USB key, play and controlling my music.

So if USB works, IPOD should works with the same setup?

BTW, when I do a reset of the radio, USB is there by default but no BT. I tried it and the IPOD issue was the same.
I need to test another cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #129
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for you reply.

USB work fine! I can browse by all types my USB key, play and controlling my music.

So if USB works, IPOD should works with the same setup?
YEP! Your Y cable must just be dead and/or counterfeit and/or fake. For the record, this is the cable I purchased and it works as expected:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

I will say this: the Y cables can be pretty finicky. Fiddle around with it a while before you go and spend more money on a new one. For example, plug it in, play some music on the ipod/phone, open the music app if it's the phone, switch which app is playing music, etc etc. The handshake from the phone to the cable electronics to the MULF to the headunit has a bunch of stages and can very easily get fouled up, it's not uncommon for me to plug my phone in and start playing music from some app with the headunit thinking it's in AUX mode, only to have it cut out, switch to radio a few seconds later, and require me to switch back to what is now recognized as ipod mode.

Congratulations on successfully coding everything, at least!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #130
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

I bought this cable and the guy told me it was made in Germany by the same BMW supplier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MINI-iPO...item1c2861b49a

It should support the integration so I will try to play a litle bit more with it in the car. The best would be to try it on another car and trying a working cable in my car.

Thanks again, you help me!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #131
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasacom View Post
Hi,

at the end of the video you mention to change the wiring of the tweeters when running an Alpine Hifi Set.

Is there an difference because of the change from Radio Business to Radio Prof.?

I would like to change from an old Radio Prof. (without BT/USB) to a new one with integrated USB/BT. So do I have to change wiring?

Thanks, Kind regards,
Hi,

Yes, if you have an Alpine HiFi retrofit, it has 2 connectors at the sound filters, one for 662 HU and other for the rest (663,606,609) so do not forget to change the wire to the proper socket.

Regards.
      12-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #132
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
more info:

Hi,

There is NO special codes for IPOD. It is the same than USB, so if USB is working properly, your problem is the Y-cable.

Remember that there are two Y-wires for BMW.
One is for cars with COMBOX integration and the other one is for others cars.
Buy the suitable for you and try it again.

The right reference is:

I have not tried it. The only thing I have tested is the same than you, plug my ipod to the usb with the iPod cable and see 'Use a proper cable for iPod' at the HU screen.

Regards.