E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Catless and Dealer

04-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Catless and Dealer

Anybody ever take their car to the dealer with the secondary cats cut out for either warranty or service? If so, did they say anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
chili36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Every dealer is different. Some care some DGAF.

But if you are worried about getting red flagged go back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
They won't say anything unless you have a warranty claim for emissions and or turbos. But if you ever have to get warranty work done on turbos or emissions, you need to take it back to stock. I wouldn't take it to the same dealership. They remember things like that even if they don't document them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
They won't say anything unless you have a warranty claim for emissions and or turbos. But if you ever have to get warranty work done on turbos or emissions, you need to take it back to stock. I wouldn't take it to the same dealership. They remember things like that even if they don't document them.
+1

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I figured this would be the case, just thought I'd ask and see. I'm completely catless right now and getting some smoke from my car when I come to a stop. My last oil change was about 1500 miles ago and it still shows full oil on the dash but things like this can make someone paranoid lol. Would a OCC possilby stop the smoke?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
Thing that pissed me off the most is when my turbos started to smoke with catless dp. I removed the dp and brung the car in for the dealer to replace the turbos. Smoke couldnt be seen bcuz the stock cats blocked the smoke and i was pretty much told that nothing is wrong with my turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2nice View Post
Thing that pissed me off the most is when my turbos started to smoke with catless dp. I removed the dp and brung the car in for the dealer to replace the turbos. Smoke couldnt be seen bcuz the stock cats blocked the smoke and i was pretty much told that nothing is wrong with my turbos.
Did your turbos ever blow? I first went with catless dps and had no smoking problems, it only started when I cut out the secondaries
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

What color is the smoke? Smoke is normal when you remove the cats (both primary and secondary). I am running VRSF catless downpipes and AA exhaust which is also catless. I get grey-ish smoke usually when I come to a stop at a redlight. Its not HORRIBLE, but its to be expected when catless (along with the burning smell and watering eyes)
      04-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReed904 View Post
Did your turbos ever blow? I first went with catless dps and had no smoking problems, it only started when I cut out the secondaries
No the smoke just got work, & i ended up changing them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
What color is the smoke? Smoke is normal when you remove the cats (both primary and secondary). I am running VRSF catless downpipes and AA exhaust which is also catless. I get grey-ish smoke usually when I come to a stop at a redlight. Its not HORRIBLE, but its to be expected when catless (along with the burning smell and watering eyes)
It's gray-ish. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but sometimes it's pretty bad. I'm thinking about getting some high flow cats to put on but if there is a real problem I don't want to just mask it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
It's gray-ish. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but sometimes it's pretty bad. I'm thinking about getting some high flow cats to put on but if there is a real problem I don't want to just mask it.
I highly doubt that the turbos have gone bad. How many miles are on them? If it was white smoke, I'd say your turbo seals may be going bad...but that doesnt sound like the case.
      04-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
I highly doubt that the turbos have gone bad. How many miles are on them? If it was white smoke, I'd say your turbo seals may be going bad...but that doesnt sound like the case.
I believe 70k. When I had my DPs put on, the turbos were dry, that was no more than 3k miles ago. The smoke wouldn't be so bad but I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, when I come to a stop is when it pours out. Any particular high flow that people go with?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I figured this would be the case, just thought I'd ask and see. I'm completely catless right now and getting some smoke from my car when I come to a stop. My last oil change was about 1500 miles ago and it still shows full oil on the dash but things like this can make someone paranoid lol. Would a OCC possilby stop the smoke?
Catch can won't solve the issue. It's the thrust bushing on the turbo that's leaking. Catch can would only keep you from getting oil in the charge pipe. Although I do recommend getting the RB PCV and BMS catch can if you do upgrade.

If you don't like the smoke, get a set of high performance cats. You won't see smoke when you first start the engine and when it gets hot enough to cause the oil to burn is when you get lots of smoke. Normally when you come to a stop and your sitting at a light in a cloud of smoke. (with everyone around you looking at you funny ) Trust me, I've been there, done that... Took my cats out for Shift S3ctor last year. $40 at a chop shop because someone who I won't name said it smelled like my cats where shot. When I got home with my smoking gun, I was quoted $300 to put them back. I was like WTF... F that... LOL Ended up getting a like new exhaust free from a buddy who has an aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

It all depends on the dealer, like most of the guys on here have said. I had my rear brakes and rotors replaced under warranty and also went in for hpfp after it went out, and with no secondary cats and the JB4 still in place. I told my SA about my mods and I never had any problems getting warranty work done, in fact he had other things replaced that the car didn't even need just so I could have new parts before the free maintenance and warranty were up. Now the CPO kicked in and I have yet to be denied because of my mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Catch can won't solve the issue. It's the thrust bushing on the turbo that's leaking. Catch can would only keep you from getting oil in the charge pipe. Although I do recommend getting the RB PCV and BMS catch can if you do upgrade.

If you don't like the smoke, get a set of high performance cats. You won't see smoke when you first start the engine and when it gets hot enough to cause the oil to burn is when you get lots of smoke. Normally when you come to a stop and your sitting at a light in a cloud of smoke. (with everyone around you looking at you funny ) Trust me, I've been there, done that... Took my cats out for Shift S3ctor last year. $40 at a chop shop because someone who I won't name said it smelled like my cats where shot. When I got home with my smoking gun, I was quoted $300 to put them back. I was like WTF... F that... LOL Ended up getting a like new exhaust free from a buddy who has an aftermarket.
The staring is the worst, on the plus side, people usually stay a good one or two car lengths behind you when you come to a stop lol I'm probably gonna put some high flow cats on it, anyone have any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #16
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The staring is the worst, on the plus side, people usually stay a good one or two car lengths behind you when you come to a stop lol I'm probably gonna put some high flow cats on it, anyone have any recommendations?
So it's smoking when you start the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #17
NReed904
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So it's smoking when you start the car?
No lol I wrote staring not starting... I had to do a double take on that when I typed it out lol only after its warmed up and I've been driving for a few miles will it start.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No lol I wrote staring not starting... I had to do a double take on that when I typed it out lol only after its warmed up and I've been driving for a few miles will it start.

Oh man... my heart stopped when I misread your reply... hahaha I was like OH SHIT...

Thanks for the clarification. Gotta love our turbos..
Appreciate 0