E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel Eye Upgrades

08-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Angel Eye Upgrades

I just purchased a set of DTEC V7 64 watt angel eyes for a very good price...they seem to do decently well and of course look better than stock.

Should I have waited and budgeted for an OSS set of LED lights? What other brands of LED replacement halos are available? The thing is those start at around $500 compared to $150-$200.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
M-Tech v4

M-tech v. 4 run about $150 and they give off 7000 of blue/ white light.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Pretty sure you will be disappointed with all LED bulbs.

LUX, Mtech and eBay Cree angel eyes all have similar output. There were visible differences in the past when LED bulb upgrades were first released, but for example if you compare LUX v3 to V4, the difference is so small and most even think the v3 is slightly brighter at the same temps.

The only way to be satisfied would be to do custom headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017

LUX, Mtech and eBay Cree angel eyes all have similar output. There were visible differences in the past when LED bulb upgrades were first released, but for example if you compare LUX v3 to V4, the difference is so small and most even think the v3 is slightly brighter at the same temps.

Thanks. I think I'll purchase the predator Orion V4's and do them myself. For $350 seems pretty great.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
The11B
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Hello, new member here, would like some opinions please, my car is a 325xi, I love it with the exception of the headlights, you know what I'm talking about!...I've read so much about upgrading lately that my head is spinning, the dealership would not upgrade the headlights at closing even with me paying to have the xenon upgrades, basically my experience was not the best , with that said, I'm looking for a nicer look. I like the halo projectors and the cleaner white light but it seems like there are so many types out there I do not know where to start or who installs new headlights, what seems to be the best selling kits and I have slight OCD so engine codes and not properly functioning lights will drive me crazy. Is there a true plug and pay kit or is there a ton of wiring involved? What is the best option for me to achieve the true BMW headlight look?....thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
keeedle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Garage List
2008 BMW E90  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The11B View Post
Hello, new member here, would like some opinions please, my car is a 325xi, I love it with the exception of the headlights, you know what I'm talking about!...I've read so much about upgrading lately that my head is spinning, the dealership would not upgrade the headlights at closing even with me paying to have the xenon upgrades, basically my experience was not the best , with that said, I'm looking for a nicer look. I like the halo projectors and the cleaner white light but it seems like there are so many types out there I do not know where to start or who installs new headlights, what seems to be the best selling kits and I have slight OCD so engine codes and not properly functioning lights will drive me crazy. Is there a true plug and pay kit or is there a ton of wiring involved? What is the best option for me to achieve the true BMW headlight look?....thanks!
Do you have halogen or xenons?
If you have halogen, you can look for a set of e90 lci halogen, they have rings and looks a lot better than the pre-lci ones. A used set on ebay should be pretty cheap for halogen ones.

If you have xenons, the best option would be sending them out to do a custom set. But you can still switch to a set of lci ones, but it will not be a direct plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
The11B
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

@ Keedle, I have the halogen headlights pre lci, i mean i love the car and its not terrible to look at but I would like a more clean, BMW look. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post

You are no correct in saying that all the lights have the same output. Our LUX H8 V4 lights produce over 3x the amount of light compared to most all of the e-bay angel eyes or even most of the 20, 32, 64 watt brands out there. no joke!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Well i've gone through ebay 20w crees, ebay 32w crees, LUX v4 and Lux v3. The crees and the lux's all produce the same brightness, but at different color temps. The only thing that makes the lux a lot more visible in the sun is the color temps. The crees are not dim, they are just the same color as the sun so they blend in too easily.

IMHO, the best LED angel eyes upgrade are the LUX but at a LOT of angles they will appear to be very uneven and not lit. Not a flaw on LUX's part, but a flaw on the design and the only way to get rid of unevenness once and for all would be to do custom headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At $260 a pop for the Lux V4's or whatever the unreasonable price is, you can get replacement LED Orion V4's for $349 and install them yourself and they are way better.

The Lux V4's are not worth the $$ as the DTEC are almost $100 cheaper and brighter/crisper. The Lux V3's that my friend has are better than the Lux V4's that my other buddy has. Lol...I thought it was supposed to be an upgrade? Yeah the color change is cool but the output isn't that amazing compared to replacement rings.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
335xituned
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I have orion v4 if anyone is interested in buying pm me
Appreciate 0