E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Best place to go camping with kids..

07-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Best place to go camping with kids..

Aup folks,

I'm thinking about going camping on August bank holiday weekend with my missus and my little boy. We have invited a mate with his little boy too.

So I imagine either chilling on the beach or bike rides or jumping/swimming in the river etc through the day and then putting kids to bed and having a few beers under the stars at night. In reality I know we will be playing card games in the tent sheltering from the rain but got to hope for the best I guess!

I've been Newquay many times before and this was my first preference coz there are plenty of beaches to go to etc but looking at some campsites online they are asking that I book the full week.

So have any of you any suggestions on where we could go? It doesnt have to be a coastal campsite like Newquay just somewhere with plenty to do with the kids. Im sure I remember going somewhere in Herefordshire when I was a kid in forest and rope swings into the river etc but wouldnt have a clue where it is.

Im in Cheshire and dont mind driving a few hours so I'm thinking probably Cornwall, Devon, somewhere in Wales or maybe south of England generally.

I trust you get the picture....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

First thought was the Isle of Man

No speed limits!!!

Sensible head would suggest Pembroke area. Lovely beaches. Theme park near if you want one. It's Wales, so it won't be raining (it will be throwing it down!).

I'd tend NOT to go anywhere on a Bank Holiday, and particularly Cornwall/Devon, but I am anti-social.
M5/M6 will be a nightmare.
A mate of mine goes to Devon every year, but isn't this year because of the hiked prices due to the Olympics (WAFI (yachting) event in the area it seems).

Alternatively, although it's a bit close to home, have you thought about Derbyshire - near the Tissington/Manifold Trails. Hire a couple of bikes (with seats or trailer if kids are small). Small rivers/streams to play in - for the kids too! Stately Homes if it's raining and you need a bit of culture. Alton Towers (Arrgghhh, Bank Holiday). . . . .Beer's better than Darn Sarf too.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
First thought was the Isle of Man

No speed limits!!!

Sensible head would suggest Pembroke area. Lovely beaches. Theme park near if you want one. It's Wales, so it won't be raining (it will be throwing it down!).

I'd tend NOT to go anywhere on a Bank Holiday, and particularly Cornwall/Devon, but I am anti-social.
M5/M6 will be a nightmare.
A mate of mine goes to Devon every year, but isn't this year because of the hiked prices due to the Olympics (WAFI (yachting) event in the area it seems).

Alternatively, although it's a bit close to home, have you thought about Derbyshire - near the Tissington/Manifold Trails. Hire a couple of bikes (with seats or trailer if kids are small). Small rivers/streams to play in - for the kids too! Stately Homes if it's raining and you need a bit of culture. Alton Towers (Arrgghhh, Bank Holiday). . . . .Beer's better than Darn Sarf too.

Mike
Ha ha Isle of Mann! I was looking at ferry prices the other week when the races were on but quite expensive for such a short ferry journey. Isle of Mann is on the cards next year I think but will be a lads road trip rather than family weekend.

Fair point about cornwall/devon being busy and roads will be jammed, especially going into newquay. I remember one trip when I was young taking hours upon hours to do the last few miles.

I'll take a look at Pembrokeshire but Derbyshire is a good shout too, and its only an hour or so away. Tissington trail is a good bike ride and dovedale is nice. Im sure there are plenty of caves to explore too am I right? I'll defo take a look at this a bit more. I just have memories of swimming in crystal clear rivers when i was a kid and having a kick about with my dad and I want to emulate this idyllic scene
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The back garden so when it rains you can all go indoors.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
Ha ha Isle of Mann! I was looking at ferry prices the other week when the races were on but quite expensive for such a short ferry journey. Isle of Mann is on the cards next year I think but will be a lads road trip rather than family weekend.

Fair point about cornwall/devon being busy and roads will be jammed, especially going into newquay. I remember one trip when I was young taking hours upon hours to do the last few miles.

I'll take a look at Pembrokeshire but Derbyshire is a good shout too, and its only an hour or so away. Tissington trail is a good bike ride and dovedale is nice. Im sure there are plenty of caves to explore too am I right? I'll defo take a look at this a bit more. I just have memories of swimming in crystal clear rivers when i was a kid and having a kick about with my dad and I want to emulate this idyllic scene

Check out the air fares from Liverpool or Manchester to the Island - they'll be cheaper now the TT's finished.

Big cave along the Tissington or High Peak trail I think.
Blue John at Castleton. Bike Heaven at Matlock on Sundays
River at Dovedale for the kids to fall off the stepping stones
Manifold Trail has the Manifold river, nice, shallow and clear - or it was a few years ago. Next to the road too, and not as busy as the Tissington.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Camping in the Wye Valley. There is a camp site at the Youth Hostel at Welsh Bicknor. Lots to do on the doorstep. Campsite is adjacent to the river. Facilities are in the hostel itself. You can build a bonfire with wood scavenged from the nearby woods and roast marshmallows under the stars whilst enjoying a chilled beer.

Photos

Swimming Video
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wye Valley looks lovely so I think its either going to be here or Derbyshire somewhere.

Cheers for your input folks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Derbyshire is under roughly 4' of water at the moment but I'm sure it will be fine by August
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
The campsite next to the Nurburgring is massive and very nice!!!

When there's no event on, you can guarantee about an acre to yourself and they don't mind you having campfires
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Ask Willhollin about camping in North Devon.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Shell Island?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...bcz83GcZUGnErg
Appreciate 0