E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > how important is money(lifestyle) to you?

07-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #23
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
I'm one of those people that believe you can make money in nearly any field. But the trick is finding something your passionate about. Something you don't mind spending 16 hours a day on, because if you don't, chances are someone else will, and you'll be hard to beat because you enjoy it, and they hate it.

20% of real estate agents make 80% of the transactions. And 80% of the real estate agents only do 20% of the transactions. Chances are those in the 20% really enjoy it.

Bottom line: find not only what you enjoy doing, but what you have a natural aptitude for. Those things that come easy to you, and you enjoy, but come hard to others and they hate. Hopefully, it will also be something that you can make money in.

My goal in life is to make a lot of money, like 800 million. Then I want to donate almost all of it. I want to be a robin hood of sorts.
Are you getting married? You'll need to earn 1.6 billion to donate 800mill then.

1sic06e90, you should be doing something you enjoy. You can always do real estate on the side for some extra cash. Get a job modding cars or making music.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #24
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yes money isn't everything but you can't do much without in USA imo. I am currently involved in my family business but I plan to pursue a career in law because it is something I want to do (even though most lawyers here seem to hate their job)

But I agree with others for the fact that you should do something that interests you and actually enjoy waking up every morning for it
      07-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #25
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
money....cash.....hoes by jayz
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #26
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

I know they do, esp. Warren Buffet, he's the man!

But I think 800 million is a nice, round figure. I want to stay under 1 billion, because once you hit that, everyone and their dog knows. I wanna be under the radar.

Shim: I'm already married man. I hope you're not right on that cuz you're implying divorce. And I live in Texas too, so its 50/50 on everything. edit: hope she doesn't see my contributions to the girls threads.. i'm in deep sh*t....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Sorry tl_boy - Warren Buffet and Bill Gates have you beat!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #27
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sic06e90
just thought id get some insight from you guys,the reason I ask is I absolutely fucking hate my job(Im a realtor)I genuinely just dont give a shit about real estate even though it can make me alot of money,I drive a nice car and have nice things but I m not happy,its just too hard for me to play the role at work,I know it sounds like Im just being immature but I think I would be happier making less money doing something else I enjoy,what do you guys think,

We often think about something will make us happy. Something new, better job, more money, more free time.

The problem is we're wrong over 90 percent of the time.

I love my job in radio sales. But I was just telling a friend that I've checked out for the past few weeks.

I think you just need to recharge your batteries and learn to love the plateau. Meaning life's not always fun and joy.

We're all too often trying to reenact what gave us pleasure and peak fun last week. When that same feeling doesn't appear we're often very disappointed.

You have a great skill, so no matter what, you'll always have a job.
Try and focus on how you feel when you make a good sale and you really help someone realize their dreams.

In a way you're kinda a dream weaver. Making others happy. Think about what you bring to others people lives. Maybe then you'll find more satisfaction with your job.

From one sales guy to another. Good luck!
      07-18-2006, 01:19 AM   #28
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Shim: I'm already married man. I hope you're not right on that cuz you're implying divorce. And I live in Texas too, so its 50/50 on everything. edit: hope she doesn't see my contributions to the girls threads.. i'm in deep sh*t....
busted dude... I'm telling your wife. How much to keep me quiet? jk ..........
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 01:44 AM   #29
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I love my work 75%. The other 25% are boring things like distributors, some arrogant and stupid customers(they DO exist ), repairs, paperwork, taxes, overtime etc.(I am a jeweller)

I 've another 'dream' about living in another country(Carribean, South America) for about 5 years now. I don't think I will do that, but ok dreaming...

Sometimes the boring 25% feels like 90%, sometimes like 0%.
I'm not THAT materialistic but I like the good life after work.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 02:01 AM   #30
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

my recording instructor once told us to get a career, a real job, and then start buying gears when we make enough money. since the only thing that you said you like is music, try motivating yourself in your job so you'll have money to buy music gears. professional gears are not really cheap and there's too much competition in the music industry.

maybe when you get enough gears you can start a small recording studio. (i want a personal recording studio someday)

how about a part-time job in a music store?
      07-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #31
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Doctors can have malpractice issues but still a good field.
Funny you mention that in this thread. I am seriously considering giving up medicine. Lately, between the malpractice, the declining reimbursement from insurance, and the rising overhead, I keep working more and earning less. My brother in law is a nurse here and makes more than me! Oh, to work in a car-related field...should have gone into engineering instead
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #32
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
If music's your passion, see if you can find something in that? As others have said, recording/production, teaching, whatever you enjoy. What about sales & marketing with a record label? It could combine your sales background with your love for music.

The one thing my parents always stressed growing up, was to be happy in whatever you do. They've both been successful in their lives; my mom loves her work, my dad is miserable. There's plenty of money out there to be made. Why not find an enjoyable way of making it.
      07-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #33
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Med Malpractice....If you can't beat 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr
Funny you mention that in this thread. I am seriously considering giving up medicine. Lately, between the malpractice, the declining reimbursement from insurance, and the rising overhead, I keep working more and earning less. My brother in law is a nurse here and makes more than me! Oh, to work in a car-related field...should have gone into engineering instead
I suppose a burned out doctor could go to Law school and make a killing in Med Mal. I think you only have to sell your soul for a few millennia...and then you can frequent the 7-series forum. Seriously, tho, your brother in law must be a unit nurse or hospital administrator working a lot of hours, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #34
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Or, just go to Europe (e.g. Netherlands) where medical malpractice and other frivolous lawsuits are near non-extant and the pay nearly as good.
      07-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #35
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
I suppose a burned out doctor could go to Law school and make a killing in Med Mal. I think you only have to sell your soul for a few millennia...and then you can frequent the 7-series forum. Seriously, tho, your brother in law must be a unit nurse or hospital administrator working a lot of hours, no?
You're actually right. He is one of the supervisor OR nurses, works his a$$ off and gets retirenment money from the Army. I've also thought about the law school thing but just can't do it. Believe it ir not, my dream job would be to have a shop to restore and resell sports cars and roadsters. I'm a pretty good mechanic and have even done some body work.
But back to the original thread, it's hard finding a job you enjoy, pays well and gives you the time to actually enjoy what you've earned. Those who have it are few and can consider themselves very lucky. I chose the lowest paying specialty (pediatrics) because I really enjoy working with kids. Unfortunately, the only way to make a lot of money is to see like 40 patients a day and rush them out. It's bad for the doctor AND the patient.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #36
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
I was in Porterville and Bakersfield over the weekend.......HOT LIKE HELL!

Amen to that, can you imagine this weekend though? with the crazy high humidity...:mad:
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #37
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

As long as I can support myself, i feel blessed. cheers...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #38
ScreaminE90
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'm a firm believer that if you're not happy in your job, leave it. There are a million more careers out there that can be fulfilling, and pay at least as well. I would recommend, however, that if the new career you have in mind requires training, try to stick with the real estate until you have sufficient training to get the new career underway.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #39
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is one way of looking at it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #40
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
just thought id get some insight from you guys,the reason I ask is I absolutely fucking hate my job(Im a realtor)I genuinely just dont give a shit about real estate even though it can make me alot of money,I drive a nice car and have nice things but I m not happy,its just too hard for me to play the role at work,I know it sounds like Im just being immature but I think I would be happier making less money doing something else I enjoy,what do you guys think,
I was in your position a little over a year ago. I had my first job out of school in sales and was making some really great $$, but was completely miserable. I ended up quiting and it was the most liberating day of my life. I got a job that paid about half (I've received raises since) but love my job. Sure, there are good and bad days, but it's easy to appreciate the good and realize the bad really aren't that bad because of the experience I had.

Think about it this way . . . sure a job you're passionate about may not pay as much; however, down the road you most likely will surpass the money you would have been making. Being passionate and loving your job is what motivates people to really be successfull.

. . . . just my .02
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 05:23 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
I'd rather be happy making less money, than miserable making more money. Now, don't interpret that in a manner which would suggest that I'd pick poverty over prestige (..let's keep things relative), but as long as I can live comfortably (..albeit happily), I'll take the lower paying gig.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #42
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
I love my work 75%. The other 25% are boring things like distributors, some arrogant and stupid customers(they DO exist ), repairs, paperwork, taxes, overtime etc.(I am a jeweller)

I 've another 'dream' about living in another country(Carribean, South America) for about 5 years now. I don't think I will do that, but ok dreaming...

Sometimes the boring 25% feels like 90%, sometimes like 0%.
I'm not THAT materialistic but I like the good life after work.
me too, maybe canada. vancouver or on lake moraine in alberta.
Appreciate 0