E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > To dual or not to dual

09-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
BMWasian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 PreLCI 328xi

To dual or not to dual

Thoughts on dual/quad exhausts on 328s? I know most 335 owners will disapprove. What cons are there to it though, performance wise?
      09-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

No performance gains, and you'll need a completely custom exhaust.

That said, I love mine. The reason I did it is I wanted that diffuser badly. They only came in dual setups so I went the whole way with the conversion

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918867
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
BMWasian
Private
United_States
Rep

Did you replace your whole rear bumper?
      09-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yes I did, I wanted the M sport bumper. But if you already have the m sport bumper you only need to change the diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
BMWasian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137
Yes I did, I wanted the M sport bumper. But if you already have the m sport bumper you only need to change the diffuser.
How much did it cost you in total?
      09-05-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well the bumper and paint work was over 1k but the exhaust work was pretty cheap, 200 to set up the pipes and 150 for my tips from cyba on the forum
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I wouldn't, don't care if 335 or not but think that money could be better spent on other mods that actually provide performance gains/benefit
      09-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There is very little performance to be gained from the 328i. I'm very happy with my money spent. Everybody has different plans and ideas for their cars which is what makes modding great.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
There is very little performance to be gained from the 328i. I'm very happy with my money spent. Everybody has different plans and ideas for their cars which is what makes modding great.
and you removed the 328 emblem while you were at it.

I think that is where most 335 guys have a problem with , when they install dual exhaust and remove the 328 emblem...

at the end of the day is your car, if you are happy with it then who cares

BTW they do make diffusers for mtech sport bumper with one hole, maybe not the same one you have
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100
Quote:
and you removed the 328 emblem while you were at it.

I think that is where most 335 guys have a problem with , when they install dual exhaust and remove the 328 emblem...

at the end of the day is your car, if you are happy with it then who cares

BTW they do make diffusers for mtech sport bumper with one hole, maybe not the same one you have
I always find it funny how uptight people get about emblems and such. Not saying you are. But people go crazy over M badges on non-M cars when BMW is now putting M badges on non-M cars.

I took my badge off because it looks clean, about a year before I did the conversion. If people really care that I'm trying to fake it as a 335 then they can go ahead and get upset. I love my car and what it is. I also have M3 mirrors, M359 wheels, and M3 side skirts. I'm sure M3 guys might get pissed I really have no idea. But not a single thing done on my car is for anyone else to like, it's for me.

And again, I said earlier the diffuser I wanted only came in dual. It's a full carbon performance diffuser from duke dynamics. No company other than them was making carbon diffusers back when I did this 3 years ago. Now of course there might be more options, but not when I was looking. Believe me, I looked. Can we please help the OP with the question instead of providing off topic discussions on my car?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Dual/quad conversion is fine. There will always be haters, but as long as you don't fake-badge your car, debadging it is fine too.

As said, YOUR car, do what makes you happy!

Looks like that previous poster did a muffler delete into dual outs. If you want to keep a muffler (OEM or other), it may be difficult to do, limited space.
      09-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i
Dual/quad conversion is fine. There will always be haters, but as long as you don't fake-badge your car, debadging it is fine too.

As said, YOUR car, do what makes you happy!

Looks like that previous poster did a muffler delete into dual outs. If you want to keep a muffler (OEM or other), it may be difficult to do, limited space.
Correct

There are some people who keep the stock exhaust (or get some type of magnaflow) and route one short pipe to the driver side, and one long pipe to the passenger side (see link and images). My muffler shop said this wasn't ideal for 2 reasons.

The first is that my tips were too long, so the 90 degree bends involved with the pipes for this wouldn't work out.

The second is that one pipe being short, and another long might have altered the flow of exhaust gases and possibly hurt performance.

For my car they recommended the y pipe to have a built in splitting section to divide the exhaust gas flow evenly into both pipes. But with this setup I had to relocate my charcoal evap canister.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557918
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I always find it funny how uptight people get about emblems and such. Not saying you are. But people go crazy over M badges on non-M cars when BMW is now putting M badges on non-M cars.

I took my badge off because it looks clean, about a year before I did the conversion. If people really care that I'm trying to fake it as a 335 then they can go ahead and get upset. I love my car and what it is. I also have M3 mirrors, M359 wheels, and M3 side skirts. I'm sure M3 guys might get pissed I really have no idea. But not a single thing done on my car is for anyone else to like, it's for me.

And again, I said earlier the diffuser I wanted only came in dual. It's a full carbon performance diffuser from duke dynamics. No company other than them was making carbon diffusers back when I did this 3 years ago. Now of course there might be more options, but not when I was looking. Believe me, I looked. Can we please help the OP with the question instead of providing off topic discussions on my car?
you already provided op with all the help he needs

Dual exhaust does not provide any significant gains and it is mostly for looks. Sound wise , it does not really get any better than just adding a PE exhaust so again single exhaust is just fine. Resale wise I would think single tip is the way to go too . Again we come down to just looks which is fine , nothing wrong with that, I ve done cosmetic mods to my car just for looks too just like most people here.

As for what people think , that does not really matter as long as op likes it .

True to be told is the non BMW guys would confuse your car for a 335 specially if the badge is removed and they would probably like it and think it's 335 performance, . However the BMW crew , specially the 335 ( at least most) crew is going to think you are a poser for having dual exhaust with badge removed.t hat's just the way it is. I find the 335 crew to be pretty uptight when it comes down to this type of stuff

I'm just trying to be dead honest with OP here. Personally I would not do it just because I would feel like I m trying to pretend that I drive a 335 even though I have a 328 . If I ever do that I would probably keep the badge just because ...

At the end of the day if Op likes it , then who really cares. I think it looks good but I would not do it to my car for the reasons stated, personal preference
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #14
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:

That said, I love mine. The reason I did it is I wanted that diffuser badly. They only came in dual setups so I went the whole way with the conversion

About to get my quad diffuser from the same dudes
Along with a hood, trunk, and front bumper LOL...

But I will be utilizing some pretty 335i Mufflers from Remus and possibly run an X-pipe, but I'm still very picky about the sounds and all that

So I'll play it by ear. *got the jokes.*

I already have headers installed, but the previous owner (for some unknown reason) threw some cheap little muffler in and it sounds... meh.

Once the dudes FINALLY get it to me, I'll share what I got going on

BEAUTIFUL Coupe btw.
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
Quote:

About to get my quad diffuser from the same dudes
Along with a hood, trunk, and front bumper LOL...

But I will be utilizing some pretty 335i Mufflers from Remus and possibly run an X-pipe, but I'm still very picky about the sounds and all that

So I'll play it by ear. *got the jokes.*

I already have headers installed, but the previous owner (for some unknown reason) threw some cheap little muffler in and it sounds... meh.

Once the dudes FINALLY get it to me, I'll share what I got going on

BEAUTIFUL Coupe btw.
Good luck! That sounds insane! Just be careful. I had a great experience with Duke Dynamics. I waited a couple months for my diffuser. And unfortunately the day after I installed the diffuser and new m-sport bumper I was rear ended. They had another diffuser in stock and sent that out immediately, and I had it within a week. Both diffusers fit perfectly.

I have heard of people getting terrible fitting pieces, or having to wait an eternity. So it seems to be hit or miss. Can't wait to see how it all turns out
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #16
Hobbs64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Who gives a *&%$ what the 335 crowd thinks? If you buy the car, you do with it what you want! Badges, no badges, dual exhaust or single.... The fun in tuning cars is to create a look and/or performance that is unique. I have several BMW's. My fastest BMW's are not the actual M cars, they are the cars I've built!

I like the exhaust!
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      09-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #17
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Quote:
Wrong.

I'm confident in saying you can make 60whp increases with relative ease. I'm at over 50 with no 3-stage IM. Very little?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #18
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Super Off Topic... Sorry :c

Quote:
Good luck! That sounds insane! Just be careful. I had a great experience with Duke Dynamics. I waited a couple months for my diffuser. And unfortunately the day after I installed the diffuser and new m-sport bumper I was rear ended. They had another diffuser in stock and sent that out immediately, and I had it within a week. Both diffusers fit perfectly.

I have heard of people getting terrible fitting pieces, or having to wait an eternity. So it seems to be hit or miss. Can't wait to see how it all turns out
I've heard the same horror stories!
Its not that I am not worried about it (I am a lot, actually lol)
But I also know that some trimming is in order for fitment (in some cases) and most of the interactions I have seen on here, I HONESTLY haven't seen anyone talk about trimming anything in their distress of their items not fitting flush right out of the box...

After a good 4 months [left their port about 3 weeks ago? made my order late may... (lol...)] They FINALLY sent out my deck lid, hood and bumper (should be here October 10th) they still haven't completed my diffuser..
Driving me crazy because that's the smallest piece I ordered
I just hope it doesn't come to me all banged up like another dude on here..

Sorry to take this thread off topic lol...
But soon I will have a setup similar.

Reasoning stated above, it will look sessy..
It will hopefully make her sound a little better too, in hopes that I will inadvertently take care of the drone from the headers with better piping and such...

Your guys' cars!
If you dig what you're doing, more power to you!
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies
Quote:
Wrong.

I'm confident in saying you can make 60whp increases with relative ease. I'm at over 50 with no 3-stage IM. Very little?
Different strokes for different folks. I have my 328i to last me during medical school and residency. I really don't care about an extra 50 horsepower. For what, several thousand dollars? I'm very happy with my suspension upgrade and cosmetic mods. My car suits my needs perfectly. So yes I say very little because similar money in a 335i can yield significantly more gains. If you want to make a 328i faster, you might as well get the 335i. Again I'm not saying I'm right or wrong it's just my opinion. Some like yourself may be perfectly happy with the gains from intake tune and exhaust. It's just not what I wanted to put money into. I also feel like my 328i has plenty of power as is, so it really was never an area I was concerned about.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117477.50
Noir883.00
      09-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #20
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. I have my 328i to last me during medical school and residency. I really don't care about an extra 50 horsepower. For what, several thousand dollars? I'm very happy with my suspension upgrade and cosmetic mods. My car suits my needs perfectly. So yes I say very little because similar money in a 335i can yield significantly more gains. If you want to make a 328i faster, you might as well get the 335i. Again I'm not saying I'm right or wrong it's just my opinion. Some like yourself may be perfectly happy with the gains from intake tune and exhaust. It's just not what I wanted to put money into. I also feel like my 328i has plenty of power as is, so it really was never an area I was concerned about.
Well it's actually 70hp and a bit over 100lbs of torque. Now with that said.... I owned a 328 and it was plenty quick with a tune and performance exhaust. Drive what you love and who cares what other think, they are not driving your car.
Appreciate 3
Noir883.00
      09-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

I wasn't making any commentary about what folks want to do with their car or not. Just about the incorrectness of the statement made.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #22
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
Wrong.

YOu have dyno sheets to back that up?

I had a 3stage, tune, perf exhaust, euro intake and I'm confident that I was somewhere around a 330s output numbers.. Which would be roughly an extra 25hp at the crank.
Appreciate 1