E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DEPO projector90 upgrade DIY - work in progress

10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #177
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

That's a crappy pic but it's from my iphone. They really do look good! They fellow I bought them from is going to ship me a replacement so I'm just waiting for that and I'll post more pics!

I was told there was a way to re-wire this set to make the turn signal bulb only activate for your blinker. On the next install I'm going to do that. The orange isn't horrible, it just doesn't look quite as "cool" as *just* two sets of very bright AE's
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #178
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post

That's a crappy pic but it's from my iphone. They really do look good! They fellow I bought them from is going to ship me a replacement so I'm just waiting for that and I'll post more pics!

I was told there was a way to re-wire this set to make the turn signal bulb only activate for your blinker. On the next install I'm going to do that. The orange isn't horrible, it just doesn't look quite as "cool" as *just* two sets of very bright AE's
It looks really nice. I think I'm going for it. If you have more pictures please post it. BTW are you happy with your move? I mean would you go through this route again?

Last edited by misterba; 10-13-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #179
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Well, I couldn't give you a "for sure" yes or no until my replacement gets here, but probably!! lol
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #180
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

I am surprised that DEPO have orange deflectors (not meaning that I don't want them).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #181
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

I'm sure it is just lightbulb color. He has to buy those chrome one's.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #182
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Yes, it's just the light bulb. And I have no more pics Besides the pics of the broken assembly haha. But my new headlight will be here in two or three days and I'm certain I'll post some pics for bragging rights

The eBay seller paid for my UPS shipping label, shipped the replacement light before I have even got the broken one in the box, and promised 2 day delivery. He seems like a genuinely fine fellow and is going out of his way so that he gets A+ ratings on eBay (or perhaps he's one of the few eBay businesses who actually care about their customers..)

Bad news? Yeah, now I'm considering a trade in for a new 535i. Oh well, at least my e90 will look better than the competition whilst I still own it!

That said, just what exactly is this chrome bulb I'm to look for? Does it get rid of the ~somewhat unattractive orange?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #183
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it's just the light bulb. And I have no more pics Besides the pics of the broken assembly haha. But my new headlight will be here in two or three days and I'm certain I'll post some pics for bragging rights

The eBay seller paid for my UPS shipping label, shipped the replacement light before I have even got the broken one in the box, and promised 2 day delivery. He seems like a genuinely fine fellow and is going out of his way so that he gets A+ ratings on eBay (or perhaps he's one of the few eBay businesses who actually care about their customers..)

Bad news? Yeah, now I'm considering a trade in for a new 535i. Oh well, at least my e90 will look better than the competition whilst I still own it!

That said, just what exactly is this chrome bulb I'm to look for? Does it get rid of the ~somewhat unattractive orange?
This is a link to e-bay item. It looks like chrome bulb so there is no orange color visible through headlight when the turn signal is off. BTW I'm buying the same lights today. I just love the AE's. And I'm not trading my car yet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7507-...fAudioQ5fVideo
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #184
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

OK. I just bought it. UHP LED DEPO Projector Angel eye Euro Clear Headlights + 6000K HID Clear. Plus the chrome lightbulbs. Odom, you will probably get your light sooner so please share your experience as I will. I don't know if I should buy error cancelers, I will try to hook it up first. Wish me luck with shipping so I don't have to go through same delays as you did.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #185
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

I'm going to order those chrome bulbs and an error canceller today, because my '06 e90 gave a dashboard error of a car on a hydraulic lift (no clue what that means besides my car yelling "wtf did you just do..?").
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #186
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to order those chrome bulbs and an error canceller today, because my '06 e90 gave a dashboard error of a car on a hydraulic lift (no clue what that means besides my car yelling "wtf did you just do..?").
I did order the chrome lightbulbs too. $9 for pair including shipping. Isn't that cool? So there is a way to run daylights with AE's only? With error cancelers, I have to research it a little bit more. Your error light..I remember somebody mentioning it is calling for service... Maybe you hit certain milage....I also have to upgtade fog lights to match 6000K...Another project, although much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #187
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterba View Post
So there is a way to run daylights with AE's only? .
Yup, only when I turn on automatic does the turn sig and HID light up (to my knowledge. I only got to see them once lol

But I ordered the chrome bulbs, so hopefully my baby will look sharper at night without the turn sigs.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #188
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 space 335i

Installed these last weekend, coupe of screws that were hard to work with but it got done. they are nice but i have trouble with the turn signal bulbs losing connectivity, sometimes they will work, not sure why.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #189
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, only when I turn on automatic does the turn sig and HID light up (to my knowledge. I only got to see them once lol

But I ordered the chrome bulbs, so hopefully my baby will look sharper at night without the turn sigs.
I have them at UPS, I have a little problem, there is a restriction for pick up or holding, some stupid rule about delivery only. So I have to work it out somehow, I can't wait to see them. Maybe stupid question: Since high beam remain halogen, is there a big difference? Or how is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #190
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidnito View Post
Installed these last weekend, coupe of screws that were hard to work with but it got done. they are nice but i have trouble with the turn signal bulbs losing connectivity, sometimes they will work, not sure why.
Finally. I just picked it up from UPS. Package perfect done, no cheap. Big box. The sticker says Made in Taiwan. OK, then I take pictures and my I-Phone sticker says Made in China. I guess we have to learn to live with it. Even Euro Light Switch says Made in Romania. They claim the projectors are made in Germany. Back to the lights. All bulbs installed inside, I swapped the amber turn light for the chrome one, what a difference. Inspection: Well done, lots of shining chrome inside it, love no amber sides. Inside first I freaked out a little because all inside was loose. After few seconds I grabbed screwdriver and of course, ready for adjustment. Then it stayed nice on the place. Ballast is big, some wiring inside is open, don't know what it is. I will try to power it up tomorrow at work, like many others I got divorced and lost my house, hell with the house, I lost MY GARAGE!!!. Well, shopping for new one, no female will be on the title.Well, close look at EA's will show those LED's, one LED, one ring and so on. I can't wait to light it up. Then error cancelers if necessary and then fog lights. That's for tonite, will see more tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by misterba; 10-19-2010 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #191
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Those look familiar!! goodluck, hopefully mine will come in tmw!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #192
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

very nice photos, yeah all week after work ive been adjusting the xenon level haha. i am happy with the output. if you need any help or questions let me know. i noticed that blue cover thing n photo1, what is that?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #193
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
very nice photos, yeah all week after work ive been adjusting the xenon level haha. i am happy with the output. if you need any help or questions let me know. i noticed that blue cover thing n photo1, what is that?
That's ballast bracket with 3M double sided tape. I do have a question: That wide white connector which doesn't go there, what is it for? And what cancellers have you used? I'm also planning to light it up and checked the LED's with welding helmet for proper funcion of all of them. They look so bright that you can miss one or two non funcioning. It kind of worries me, there is 60 or so LED's on each ring, thats over 200 more chances for missfuncion....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #194
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

OK. I'm back with bad news. Parked at work, hooked up the lights. Bad cut on the finger due to sharp sheet metal edge next to the plug. Lights-perfect. Nice white beam, rings nice bright. No error but flickering when car is running. Expected. I was happy. Then I saw the inner part of the rings was kind of hiding behind the molding. No problem, I've thought. Working on the cars more years than most members here age is, I started adjusting. Up, down, all is fine. Left, right, something was wrong. All the way to the center of the car the inner adjustable part of the light was secure, not wiggling. When turned the other side the light started to move there and then it just stopped. I could put the fingers in and push it, but it returned back and stayed loose. So I opened the Xenon bulb cover to see adjusting screw and there was the problem. The round O shape of the white adjusting screw was empty. The other 'male' part wasn't inserted in the ring so the light wasn't pulled back when the screw was going on the opposite direction. The second light-same story. Somebody in the assembly line was thinking about something else than work. Then I was pissed, thinking about OdomPHD, his troubles and the beer run. That would be helpful but nobody showed with the beer. Just kidding, I was at work anyway. So I took the pictures and put everything in the box. Now I'm waiting for the sellers response. I hope I don't have to go on him the hard way. Now I want to hear from you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #195
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

I saw you broke your cover for the assembly, too!!

And are you talking about that "ball and joint" that pushes the AEs forward?? if so there is a way to get it in place. My right hand assembly is fine, it doesn't shake left or right, up or down, it's perfect. The other had a messed up adjustment, which seems to be your problem, too.

EDIT: nevermind, I see the pic your talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #196
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw you broke your cover for the assembly, too!!

And are you talking about that "ball and joint" that pushes the AEs forward?? if so there is a way to get it in place. My right hand assembly is fine, it doesn't shake left or right, up or down, it's perfect. The other had a messed up adjustment, which seems to be your problem, too.

EDIT: nevermind, I see the pic your talking about.
Yeah, the cover isn't designed for easy removal. Also I was trying to snap "the ball joint" on to eliminate returns and other crap which I see comming, but it wasn't as easy as I've thought. So I will try to do it regular way, although I was planing to install it this weekend. Not too happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #197
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well it seems i have a different set than yours because i ordered mine from JLEVI and they dont exactly have the same set up, so on the LED question im not sure im sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #198
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well it seems i have a different set than yours because i ordered mine from JLEVI and they dont exactly have the same set up, so on the LED question im not sure im sorry.
I see. Thanks.
Appreciate 0