E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Should I get a E90 or a E92

06-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

wife/GF or wife+gf=e92
wife+kids or wife+GF+mistress=e90
wife+kids+gf/mistress=
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

If you ever have to take business associates, contacts to a lunch...get the sedan to impress.....if you hardly have more than 2 total in the car...then the coupe. To me the coupe handles better...if..... it does not have the x-drive option.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
335obsession
Rep
Drives: I will be owning a BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912
If you ever have to take business associates, contacts to a lunch...get the sedan to impress.....if you hardly have more than 2 total in the car...then the coupe. To me the coupe handles better...if..... it does not have the x-drive option.
I won't be getting the xdrive option because I will never drive it in the winter. I don't want my bimmer to get all rusted out and stuff it would be unwise to do that and yes I do have a beater car I can use in the winter. Knowing New York (that's where I live upstate NY) they OVER salt the roads so rust and corrosion can completely ruin a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
Coupe does not handle better.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
By this logic a Honda Civic is a better choice than both.
It might be....hard to say for the OP. For me, it's not, but that's because I want more than Honda offers. An Accord coupe is very close to what I need in a DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
I never understand when I hear of people doing this. Its a major purchase thats going to be with you for years and people buy it because its what the dealer has in stock that day? I had such specific specs for my car that i flew to Boston to get it and drove it back to Atlanta. Harder to find your specs CPO than new
Because the only thing the car had that I didn't especially want was the larger motor. Also, I was undecided on the color; there were several I was willing to accept. For me, it's just a car, albeit a nice car, but I'm not that picky because it is just a car and frankly, for me, any 3er will do what I need it to as well as any other, but yes, I do want a 3er.

When I was working with the architects and designers on getting my houses built and furnished, my job, the staff I hire, the advice I give my clients, where I chose to send my kids to school, etc., I am far more selective. All of those things fall into what are important to me. I imagine they'd be important to anyone else also.

I guess it just comes down to priorities. I have no beef with other folks' and I'm happy to explain mine when asked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

For the looks E92

For practicality E90

Simple as that
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #29
335obsession
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335
For the looks E92

For practicality E90

Simple as that
Agreed! I like the looks. Performance wise aren't the E90 and E92 equally matched? I am saying bare bone stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #30
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Coming from someone who's had both I'd go back to an e90 in a heart beat vs my e92 now. Practicality wise for me with friends getting in and out, getting groceries, etc. All the things you take for granted with a 4 door u lose in the coupe, yes it's sharp looking and sporty but I miss being able to open the back door toss my shit in the backseat and go. My next car will be a 4 door again for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #31
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep
Drives: Lci 335i

I prefer the look of the e90 over the older e92 but the newer redesigned one in nice. I drive a sedan but prefer the feeling of driving a coupe. Either one, u can't lose
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #32
335obsession
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23
Coming from someone who's had both I'd go back to an e90 in a heart beat vs my e92 now. Practicality wise for me with friends getting in and out, getting groceries, etc. All the things you take for granted with a 4 door u lose in the coupe, yes it's sharp looking and sporty but I miss being able to open the back door toss my shit in the backseat and go. My next car will be a 4 door again for sure.
I see. Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
335obsession
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335beast
I prefer the look of the e90 over the older e92 but the newer redesigned one in nice. I drive a sedan but prefer the feeling of driving a coupe. Either one, u can't lose
Thank you for the input. You never lose by owning a BMW. Even though maintenance costs are high it's a small price to pay for a great vehicle. Thank you again for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #34
C9A1L1L
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Own both and the E90 to the general public is the better looking car. It has a more masculine roof line and is more practical with the 4 doors. ALSO I can run wider tires and more aggressive fitment with the 4 door.

At the end of the day there are lots of OBVIOUS pros to owning the E90.. there are ZERO for owning the E92 other than opinions related to looks which th egeneral public doesn't share.

The E90 looks more like a traditional 3 series. the Coupe looks like a hard top convertible.. Well, that is until you actually pull up next to an actual E93 and see how odd those bad boys look lol.

So I'm with all the other guys who have or currently own both and say they prefer the E90. I highly doubt you will find anyone other than biased E92 owners to tell you different.

There is ZERO performance gain with the coupe but with the sedan you gain practicality, class and more room for wheels. Sorry if I betrayed my fellow coupe brethren..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
For the looks E92

For practicality E90

Simple as that
There is one other factor: the coupe will cost more than an equivalent sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Not much to say about friends getting into the rear of the coupe vs. the rear of the sedan, though the OP did say that didn't matter to him. There's ample room in the E92's rear, but it's a two door; there's no way it's easier to get in and out than it would be in a sedan.

As for groceries and other cargo, I don't see a whole lot of difference. I just put it in the trunk and that's that. Groceries, my suitcase (when going to/from the airport, which for me is at least once every week), dry cleaning (if the the cleaner's couldn't deliver it, for I send 20 - 30 pieces minimum at a time), etc. all just go in the trunk. Now, I do the same thing with my sedans as well, so maybe it's just a "me" thing, but ever since someone broke into a car of mine back in 1998, I've taken to leaving the passenger compartment completely empty and I don't lock it -- only lock the glove box and the trunk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9A1L1L View Post
Own both and the E90 to the general public is the better looking car. It has a more masculine roof line and is more practical with the 4 doors. ALSO I can run wider tires and more aggressive fitment with the 4 door.

At the end of the day there are lots of OBVIOUS pros to owning the E90.. there are ZERO for owning the E92 other than opinions related to looks which th egeneral public doesn't share.

The E90 looks more like a traditional 3 series. the Coupe looks like a hard top convertible.. Well, that is until you actually pull up next to an actual E93 and see how odd those bad boys look lol.

So I'm with all the other guys who have or currently own both and say they prefer the E90. I highly doubt you will find anyone other than biased E92 owners to tell you different.

There is ZERO performance gain with the coupe but with the sedan you gain practicality, class and more room for wheels. Sorry if I betrayed my fellow coupe brethren..
What "general public" do you know? The general public I know have a completely opposite take on which is better looking.

I'm even going to go out on a limb and saying the general public BMW and MB and Audi know share the opinion of the general public I know. The reason I'm saying this is that the whole point behind the very existence of so called "four door coupes" is that it's pretty well accepted that the look and lines of a coupe are sexier and more visually appealing than those of a sedan. It's the only reason that BMW took the 5 series and reskinned it to create the 6GC, ditto MB and the transformation of the E class into the CLS class. (I know if Audi's A7 is really just a new body on an A6.) BMW even has plans to put a "four door coupe" body on the 3er and call it the 4GC.

While the E90 is more "beefy" looking than the E92, better looking is not an adjective I'd use. However, if one likes the looks of the E90 over the E92, that's the car one should buy (assuming all other factors are equal or irrelevant to one's needs). Lastly, I don't really know that anyone saying one is better looking than the other is all that helpful since that's really the buyer's decision, and saying that "public" think one or the other is better looking is also pointless. Who chooses a car based on what others think when those "others" aren't paying for using the car?

Oh, BTW, one doesn't gain practicality if, as the OP stated, one has no use for it.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #37
ConradConrad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 TiAg 335i

I have both. e92 is 6spd and e90 is Auto. I enjoy my e90 just a tad more than the e92.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradConrad View Post
I have both. e92 is 6spd and e90 is Auto. I enjoy my e90 just a tad more than the e92.
Why is that?

OP, also take into consideration that the long doors of the coupe might be difficult to open in tight parking spaces, the rear windows are fixed, and also the seatbelt arm extension can fail.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #39
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

I myself own an e90 and have loved the modding journey I've had with it but I must say that it'll never look as good as a e92. Sure the e92 isnt as practical as the e90 but it just looks so much better imo. The lines flow better, both 18s and 19s look amazing on it (i think 18s look a little conservative on an e90) and it just looks sportier. Simple things like m3 side skirts make a world of difference on an e92 compared to e90. At the end of the day its up to you but I know as a fact I'll be seeing myself in an e92 once I upgrade
      06-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
I have an e90 and I love it. I had the choice of an e92 and e90 and went with e90 because of the practicality, taking vendors or coworkers out (as someone mentioned earlier), and (personally of course) I like the e90 look better as I think it is more aggressive. I like having a fast sedan. It feels different to me. Almost like a sleeper. A lot of people definitely don't know what a 335 is or what it can do and are surprised with a sedan being fast.
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
ConradConrad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 TiAg 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Why is that?

OP, also take into consideration that the long doors of the coupe might be difficult to open in tight parking spaces, the rear windows are fixed, and also the seatbelt arm extension can fail.

That's def part of it, the doors are actually difficult to open in those Im so happy I found a parking spot even though its ridiculously tight situations, the extension arm for seat belt is finicky and annoying. I feel for some reason I sit slightly lower in the e92 than the e90 which I dont like. Mostly little things you wouldnt notice unless youve got to drive both.

You really cant go wrong both are great. I would pick whichever had the color and options I wanted with the right mileage and price. Also insurance might be more for you on the e92 depending on your age than e90.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #42
C9A1L1L
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
What "general public" do you know? The general public I know have a completely opposite take on which is better looking.

I'm even going to go out on a limb and saying the general public BMW and MB and Audi know share the opinion of the general public I know. The reason I'm saying this is that the whole point behind the very existence of so called "four door coupes" is that it's pretty well accepted that the look and lines of a coupe are sexier and more visually appealing than those of a sedan. It's the only reason that BMW took the 5 series and reskinned it to create the 6GC, ditto MB and the transformation of the E class into the CLS class. (I know if Audi's A7 is really just a new body on an A6.) BMW even has plans to put a "four door coupe" body on the 3er and call it the 4GC.

While the E90 is more "beefy" looking than the E92, better looking is not an adjective I'd use. However, if one likes the looks of the E90 over the E92, that's the car one should buy (assuming all other factors are equal or irrelevant to one's needs). Lastly, I don't really know that anyone saying one is better looking than the other is all that helpful since that's really the buyer's decision, and saying that "public" think one or the other is better looking is also pointless. Who chooses a car based on what others think when those "others" aren't paying for using the car?

Oh, BTW, one doesn't gain practicality if, as the OP stated, one has no use for it.

I started to read what you wrote, saw how hard it was to comprehend, checked your sig and noted you own an E92 and then referred back to my post that most E92 guys are the ones who honestly feel its the better looking car.

I live in CA, ya know... The automotive capital of the world. The place where you see more 16yr old kids with 3 series and 1 series BMWs than adults own in other states combined... Yeah, that place.

I have always gotten more attention and nods with the E90. I don't need you to justify why you bought the one you have, I'm simply going off of my own experience as a person who has had BOTH. How about you? have you had both?

At the end of the day the functionality and practicality of the 4 door give it the edge as the better car. That's just fact. Now if you don't need the extra doors, or the extra wheel well space for nicer wheels and more rubber for the track then get the coupe.

I've never heard anyone say they regretted the E90 purchase but even I and as seen by a couple other guys in this thread who have gone from E90s to E92 did in fact regret the change.

If you like the looks of the coupe, fine, that's your OPINION and its up to the OP as well to figure if he likes the looks of the coupe enough to over come the superiority of the sedan.

That's just the way it is. No one expects you not to like the E92... Liking the way it looks is the ONLY positive to owning it. So if you like the way BOTH look then buying the coupe then becomes a silly decision. And if you don't like the way the coupe looks then your decision is as easy as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #43
C9A1L1L
Private
Rep

Out of those of us that have BOTH cars it is about 5/0 in favor of the E90. And for ever good looking E92 from the forums you post Ic an post an E90 that looks better. The E90 holds truer to the body lines of past 3 series cars and is bulkier, more masculine and aggressive looking. The E92 is more sleek and is a great looking car on its own but its generic looking to me. It doesn't look like a 3 series.. Hell it really doesn't look like a BMW at all when you put it in the line up.

Looks aside (which is all opinion anyways) the Sedan is the better car from every single angle and its not even arguable.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #44
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9A1L1L View Post
I started to read what you wrote, saw how hard it was to comprehend,...
Really? I'm sure you aren't prevaricating when you say that, but that you did say that is telling...

Appreciate 0