E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HD Radio Design Flaw?

12-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Sakaike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 328i

HD Radio Design Flaw?

I just picked up my new E93 yesterday. Obviously, I'm totally stoked to now be part of this gang. But almost immediately, I noticed something with the HD radio that I can't believe is correct.

My sunglasses are polarized, and when wearing them, the display for the HD radio is totally blacked out. Obviously, the radio also has a polarizing filter that is 90 degrees rotated from my glasses. Can other owners (who wear similar shades) tell me if they have the same phenomenon?

The trip computer display on my Lexus RX330 is also polarized, but it is oriented in the same direction as the sunglasses, and so it is completely readable, unless you twist your head. This orientation makes sense, since it is attempting to minimize glare and improve readability against sun rays in the same manner as the sunglasses. I see no reason why the radio display in the BMW would have its polarization oriented in the direction it is.

Consequently, when driving during the day, every time I want to view the radio display, I have to remove my sunglasses. This is ridiculous, in my view, and I can't believe that I am the only person to have noticed this and/or been annoyed enough to post.

Can others here please post their experiences and observations? TIA.
      12-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Known issue, has been this way for a while. It's oriented the same way as your glasses, as that's the angle most likely to be useful to people w/o polarized glasses.

You can buy a cheap piece of film to put over the screen that will rotate the polarization by 90 degrees and will fix the issue. You can buy a small sheet of it for a few bucks, 3M and others make it.
      12-10-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
samuraichkn
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 black sapphire

i dont think its just the hd radio, they all have this issue, also, you dont have to remove your sunglasses, just tilt your head slightly and you should be fine
it is a design flaw, but the tilting head thing isnt too much of a bother for the awesome stereo and the awesome driving
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
ronpal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i & 940T

Use overhead projector film

If you have some of the clear overhead projector film use that it works great. Cut it out a bit larger then the display (make it taller not wider) then it snaps right in. Its' a problem with all e9x radio displays.

I find it hard to believe that after 3+ years BMW has still not fixed it. Lame.

Good luck
RP
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Same issue goes all the way back to 1998 !!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
bufasion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328xi

Buy a pair of non-polarized sunglasses. I can't figure out why a $40k car would still have such a design flaw. Maybe the Bavarian engineers would get on this after Car and Driver mentioned it in its 1/2008 issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Sakaike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpal View Post
If you have some of the clear overhead projector film use that it works great. Cut it out a bit larger then the display (make it taller not wider) then it snaps right in. Its' a problem with all e9x radio displays.

I find it hard to believe that after 3+ years BMW has still not fixed it. Lame.

Good luck
RP
Thanks a million for the advice on how to cut the film. I got a sheet from work and can confirm that it solves the problem, but I have hesitated to cut the sheet as I was unsure how to attach it to the screen. This is a perfect example of how and why these forums rock!