E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lux H8 V3 Angel Eye Review

11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

With any sort of AE bulb, regardless of how bright it is, the appearance of the outer AE ring will depend greatly on the angle of sight. The outer ring will be approximately as bright as the inner ring if you look at it head-on. Deviating from that viewing position will make the apparent outer ring's brightness drop considerably.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #24
ENZOCOREA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Thank you for the post,,,,,,,,,, now i really would like to see lux vs mtec vs alpine hid.

any reason not to install hids? guess they are brighter but prone to overheating issue???
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
Pictures of LUX H8 ver3 on our 2011 328i LCI

... maybe this will help ...
Attached Images

11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

This is the first we have seen this post. I'm very sorry that you feel this way about our LUX H8 V3, and your reaction to the lights is very different from almost every other reaction we have ever heard or read about on the forums.

We have designed these lights to be as bright as possible and they are still the brightest LED Angel eyes on the market to date. Other companies have their 20W or 32W brands, but they are significantly dimmer especially with the headlights turn on. With these other brands, the lights dim to around 1/3 brightness with the headlights on while ours stay full brightness all the time.

As for color, due to the nature of the physical headlight there could be some color differences between the inner and outer ring. The inner ring uses a reflector to bounce the light from the LED forward so it can be viewed directly. the outer ring used a fiber optic tube, plastic and small groves to reflect out the light. As the light is reflected out of the plastic tube it will cause the light to change slightly producing a more yellowish effect. You dont notice this with the stock bulbs since they are already yellow

Again we are sorry that you are not as happy with the lights as expected. There are other brands out there you can try but you will be less satisfied with them i can assure you
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
This is the first we have seen this post. I'm very sorry that you feel this way about our LUX H8 V3, and your reaction to the lights is very different from almost every other reaction we have ever heard or read about on the forums.

We have designed these lights to be as bright as possible and they are still the brightest LED Angel eyes on the market to date. Other companies have their 20W or 32W brands, but they are significantly dimmer especially with the headlights turn on. With these other brands, the lights dim to around 1/3 brightness with the headlights on while ours stay full brightness all the time.

As for color, due to the nature of the physical headlight there could be some color differences between the inner and outer ring. The inner ring uses a reflector to bounce the light from the LED forward so it can be viewed directly. the outer ring used a fiber optic tube, plastic and small groves to reflect out the light. As the light is reflected out of the plastic tube it will cause the light to change slightly producing a more yellowish effect. You dont notice this with the stock bulbs since they are already yellow

Again we are sorry that you are not as happy with the lights as expected. There are other brands out there you can try but you will be less satisfied with them i can assure you
I appreciate your response. Based on the majority of reviews, I would agree that your lights are most often the top rated. Hence the reason I spent more money and went with your product. Unfortunately, I have come across two other brands in person that appeared brighter and had less variation between the inner and outer lights. (Both of those brands have been mentioned in this post) My initial hope was that I received a bad set but based on other comments in this thread, it sounds like there are others who feel the same way.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
whosdady
Major
Rep

As promised, below is a pic in direct sunlight and yes the AE's are on.

Sorry for the delay.
Attached Images

Last edited by whosdady; 11-15-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
hmmmn, you sure there is nothing wrong with the leds? The inner ring is visible but not the outer one..

Last edited by insane79; 11-15-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #30
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
My goodness, there must be a hundred of these AE threads on this forum. All of the most popular AE mods appear diminished/absent in direct sunlight. And the rings differ in brightness depending on the angle and distance from which you're looking at them. That's just the way it is (unless you do a full replacement). That's why most vendors' pics are taken at dusk, on a cloudy day, or under the shade of a building. I have the Angel iBright kit from EAS and they do the same thing. They look good in any kind of diminished light, but almost disappear at certain angles in bright sunlight. I knew they'd be that way so I went with the 3-year warranty.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |

Last edited by cbad335; 11-16-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #31
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Still debating whether to get these or Mtec V4's
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
whosdady
Major
Rep

Just to clarify, I knew these wouldn't be bright as the factory LEDs. The reason I created this review was to share my experience with the Lux AE's. Personally if I would have known they were like this, I would have saved my money or went with another brand. Unfortunately as stated earlier I have seen two other brands since my purchase and both cost less and appeared slightly better. Granted one set was on a sedan and the other was a true led so it really wasn't a fair comparison. In addition, I was hoping there was a problem with mine but clearly from the previous posts my experience is not an anomaly.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Unfortunately no product but a complete AE replacement will give you the affect we're all looking for. It's not the bulbs, it's a poor design by BMW having one bulb light up two rings.
Yeah. I have to agree with this statement. I would love to change out my bulbs b/c I just hate the amber stock bulbs....but at least they are pretty evenly light all around and are visible during the day.

OSS or bust at this point. But so $$$.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #34
banky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Ive been a LUX owner for about a year now. After doing MUCH research, i pulled the trigger on LUX because of a variety of things: product quality, customer service, community reputation, etc.

during my research stage, ive found countless threads of people complaining about the outer rings on EVERY BRAND. the problem is the design by BMW. the truth is, with my lux, at noon, facing the sun, the rings arent very pronounced when standing in front of the car and looking at a downward angle towards the center of the bumper. HOWEVER, usually, at eye level, (ie. looking in the rear mirror) the lights are much more pronounced.

the design of the angle eyes are a little finnicky regarding viewing angle. some angles look beautiful while slight movement makes them look like they're turned off.

i took this picture because im selling my LUX kit, but these things are damn sexy. i always love watching reflections from window store fronts and chrome bumpers i end up behind. this photo was taken at 1:30pm CST, no shade, sun positioned slightly behind the car.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #35
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

^^ They do look sexy
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #36
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Unfortunately no product but a complete AE replacement will give you the affect we're all looking for. It's not the bulbs, it's a poor design by BMW having one bulb light up two rings.
Well what about just getting a different color bulb? You see I don't care if they are brighter then stock, I just want both the rings lit up like stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #37
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Well what about just getting a different color bulb? You see I don't care if they are brighter then stock, I just want both the rings lit up like stock.
Stock bulbs are the brightest you'll get. There's different color bulbs but they won't be as visible as the stocks.
      11-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #38
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by liborio View Post
Anybody look into retrofitting the bulbs from an F10 or F30? Wouldn't it just be the connector and housing? I am sure I am oversimplifying this but thought I would ask.
It would be extremely difficult. The actual rings (just the 0o inside the headlights) are designed differently. They have a bit more of a teardropp-y cross section, and the indentations along the rings are also slightly different. hard to explain, but if you're looking for it and you have the two cars right next to each other, you can see it.

Also, the LED bulb in those cars is a proprietary beast with more similarities to a HID ballast with 2 prongs sticking out of it than a filament automotive bulb. You would have to rework the light pipes to line up with this LED puck, which would most certainly ruin the light transmission of the pipes

Also, the inner ring just receives reflected "backwash" from the angel eye bulb (explains why the inner ring is notoriously brighter than the outer) and the "LED at the end of the lightpipe approach" wouldn't work for that.

Interesting idea, so not worth it unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Stock bulbs are the brightest you'll get. There's different color bulbs but they won't be as visible as the stocks.
that's pretty depressing.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #40
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry for the delay.
One of the main reasons why these are hard to see in the direct daylight is because the fact that the color of the light produced is almost the exact same color of the sunlight. With the stock bulbs there was a noticeable color difference so there was a contract between the sunlight and the yellowish of the halogen bulb. Since the LUX is a 6500k white, which is like daylight, you loose that color contrast and they blend together. I hope that helps explain what you are seing there.

Also in the picture you posted the outer rings are hard to see because of the angle of the photo. If you are too close to the car the outer rings are not visible at all
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #41
whosdady
Major
Rep

There is no question the the stock lights are brighter than the lux AE's. (at least for me) This is obvious as seen by my initial pictures at the begining of this thread.

It makes sense that the color plays a part in not being able to see them in direct light. However, if they were brighter I don't feel we would have this problem. Look at the factory LED's.

For the record, the pic taken above in direct sunlight was taken from 12 feet away and I kneeled down trying to give it the best angle for viewing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #42
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 325i /RR Sport

can we use E9X LCI's stock white AE bulbs in Pre-LCI E9X? are they the same? H8?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no question the the stock lights are brighter than the lux AE's. (at least for me) This is obvious as seen by my initial pictures at the begining of this thread.

It makes sense that the color plays a part in not being able to see them in direct light. However, if they were brighter I don't feel we would have this problem. Look at the factory LED's.

For the record, the pic taken above in direct sunlight was taken from 12 feet away and I kneeled down trying to give it the best angle for viewing.
The factory LED's use a completely different ring so it emits the light very differently. Its like comparing apples to oranges really
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #44
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep

i just installed mtec h8 leds on my e90 lci, i must say the outer ring is only 50% as bright as the inner ring, i thought the guy who installed it didn't do a proper install, guess its the nature of these ring design..
Appreciate 0