E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > e92 door speaker grill options

09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
partypat
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe

e92 door speaker grill options

Hey all

I'm in the long and involved process of installing some Rainbow 210 SLX speakers in my 07 E92 Coupe. Let me tell you, I've searched and searched, nothing out there seems to give good advice on how to do this.

Long story short, I need the rainbows to protrude through the speaker opening. but to do so to clear the window, the speakers are stopped by the speaker grills. So now I need to figure out how to modify my speaker grills to allow the speaker to sit in place, and not connect with the window.

there must be an after market/DIY solution to this. Let's hear your thoughts.

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

You could always top mount them and use the rainbow grills. You can do this without modifying the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
partypat
Private
Rep

I bought the rainbows used and they didn't come with grills. I could order them I suppose. I also cut the tabs off the speakers but I'll look into the rainbow grills. I have a way to mount them internal figured out. I may create a DIY for it....

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Did you need to mount the speakers from the front side & protrude thru the existing hole due to the speaker depth & interference with window?

If not, all you need to do is either buy, or make speaker adapters for the rear side of the panel to mount them as OEM, & use your factory grilles.

I think 808MGuy still sells the adapters (try PM'ing him). There are couple threads detailing this if you Search...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Did you need to mount the speakers from the front side & protrude thru the existing hole due to the speaker depth & interference with window?

If not, all you need to do is either buy, or make speaker adapters for the rear side of the panel to mount them as OEM, & use your factory grilles.

I think 808MGuy still sells the adapters (try PM'ing him). There are couple threads detailing this if you Search...
The speakers are too deep, and need to be mounted closer to the grill.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875942

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypat View Post
Hey all

I'm in the long and involved process of installing some Rainbow 210 SLX speakers in my 07 E92 Coupe. Let me tell you, I've searched and searched, nothing out there seems to give good advice on how to do this.

Long story short, I need the rainbows to protrude through the speaker opening. but to do so to clear the window, the speakers are stopped by the speaker grills. So now I need to figure out how to modify my speaker grills to allow the speaker to sit in place, and not connect with the window.

there must be an after market/DIY solution to this. Let's hear your thoughts.

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
partypat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

The speaker depth of the rainbow is considerably deeper than the stock E92 speaker. When mounted from the back, with my 'custom' ( read: cutting board with a 4" hole cut out ) speaker adapters the driver of the speaker would prevent the window from opening. The speaker now needs to protrude into the grill much further.

808MGuy didn't respond to my messages about his adapeters. As they are bottom mounts, they won't work with the E92 Coupe door/window and these rainbows.

When the speaker does clear the window, the factory grill tabs make contact with the outer edge of the speaker - I'm going to hot glue them in place - directly to the face of the rainbow woofer I think.
Appreciate 0