E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tivo vs. cable company supplied DVR?

12-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Question Tivo vs. cable company supplied DVR?

Nice to know my parents at least listen to what I say.
My dad asked if I had any interest in getting a Tivo for xmas, since he knows I spent the 2007 F1 season waking up at 4am to catch the races on Speed. He loves his; and fortunately got it when they offered the lifetime membership service, so he doesn't have to pay a monthly fee.

I'm debating between getting the Tivo setup, or going with the DVR through my cable provider.
What route did you guys go?
Regular Tivo DVR and 1 year service is $229
HD Tivo DVR and 1 year service is $399
Don't know the cost on the cable company's setup since their office is closed and they don't list it online.

If I don't go with the Tivo, I think they'll be getting me a V1.
      12-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have a DVR with Comcast and love it. It's like 15 bucks a month (HD version) and since ur paying for cable already, why not? Just try it out and you don't like it then return it-your cable provider wont care. I'd say go with the V1....once they pay for your tivo this year what will you do for next year?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

The main difference between the two is Tivo you buy the hardware and it is your to do with what ever you like. Plus the monthly fee, which I thought was around $12.00 a month for the electronic guild which you need if you want it to automatically record shows.

With the cable companies they lease the DVR set top box to you at about $5.00 a month and if you want HD you need to upgrade the service to HD content which more on you cable bill and you pay additional amount for the HD recorder.

I also believe that Tivo will record HD content over the air, so it can record all the local channels in HD without having to pay extra money to the cable company. One other thing I do not think Tivo HD will work on most cable system since they are all digital, and required the cable companies own HD set top box, unless you record the video out from the set top into the Tivo.

I do not think you have a true winner here which is best.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I have both a TiVo Series 2 SD single tuner box (lifetime) and the Comcast HD Dual Tuner DVR. The TiVo has a much better interface, while the Comcast box interface (a Motorola) sucks ass. The TiVo never randomly drops a season pass, while the Comcast box does. Also, sometimes the DVR will not respond to the remote for a few seconds, causing much frustration.

The TiVo can be networked to your home computer, and you can download the recordings, watch them on your computer or burn them to DVD or your iPod. You can't do that with the Comcast DVR. I can also log into TiVo's website remotely and have the TiVo box record a show for me. Not available with the DVR.

If the cost were the same, then I'd get the TiVo. Sure you are buying the box, but I've had my Series 2 for over 4 years now with no problems at all. However, the cost isn't the same. I've got an offer from TiVo to get a Series 3 HD dual tuner with a lifetime subscription for $700. I pay $15 a month for the Comcast HD dual tuner DVR. That means it would take almost 4 years to break even on the switching to the TiVo HD box. That is just too long of a period of time. If it was 18 months or so, I'd do it.

Oh, and Comcast has supposedly struck a deal with TiVo to allow TiVo interface software to be run on the Comcast box (for a fee of course, fuckers.) I think they intentionally made the Comcast DVR suck really bad in antipication of this deal with TiVo. The Comcast DVR software used to be better, but about 8 months ago, they "updated" it to the current shit state they offer now....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Well, spoke with Cox (cable provider) last night.
For an extra $12 a month, I get the package that includes digital cable - so an extra 50 or so channels, the DVR box, and home phone (useful since my apartment complex can't set up the front gate to a out-of-state cell. So anytime people come over, I need to walk down and open the gate... or they have to wait for someone else to pull in with a gate card).

Figure I'll give it a shot. If the system sucks, I can always cancel it and get the Tivo.
      12-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
TIVO is hands down better ... I went the cable wrought with COX ... shit sucks ass ... double records stuff, misses things I program, deletes crap at random. Tivo has over 170 patents on its interface that cover its "season Pass" manager that allows it to find programs you want with out canceling other programs you want ... it also will NEVER double record an episode. For example Discovery plays a "Deadliest Catch" episode 5 times in a day ... it wont record all 5 it will only record it once ... the cable DVR will record all of them there for eating up all your harddrive space and deleting your other recordings. Tivo also can be networked and you can download the programs to to computer to take with you. If you ever use a Tivo you will NEVER use anything else ... its superior in EVERY aspect.
________
Buy Easy Vape
________
MAINE DISPENSARIES
________
Iolite Vaporizer
________
bald pussy Webcams
________
KID PRILOSEC

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 09-19-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

The DVR Cox Cable offers sucks big time. I had it and dumped it.

I have Dish network now with their VIP622 DVR. It has dual room DVR support. The box is in my living room and is wired to my bedroom TV. I can watch anything on the DVR in the bedroom and set things to record from the bedroom as well. It is th ebest DVR I have ever used with tons of features. Records two High Def channels at once. Lots of various recording options. It also has tons of storage space and has the option for an external hard drive via USB.

I have had Tivo, Cox DVR and now Dish. Dish blows the other DVR's away IMO. Read the reviews on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tivo now offers all the features or the Dish one ... yet has the Tivo interface which id by far superior to all others. My friend has the dish one and although its 10,000x better then cox and the the dual tuners, HD, and networking made it a better option at the time when Tivo was lacking dual tuners and HD ... the new Tivos with HD and dual tuners rock. With them you can just get a cable card and not get a box and save some money one your month cable bill.
________
Extreme Vaporizer Review
________
FREE JCPENNEY GIFT CARD
________
Ferrari 248 f1 specifications
________
Depakote attorney
________
Vaporizer review

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 09-19-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
How would I network the Tivo to my computer? Can that be done wirelessly, through bluetooth or something? I'm thinking that'd be nice for burning shows to DVD.

Also, do I need to upgrade to digital cable for the Tivo to work properly?

Should I get the Tivo HD box, or just the regular box?
      12-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
How would I network the Tivo to my computer? Can that be done wirelessly, through bluetooth or something? I'm thinking that'd be nice for burning shows to DVD.

Also, do I need to upgrade to digital cable for the Tivo to work properly?
no your dont ... it works with basic cable too ... but for full benefits you would need digital cable to get the HD channels. You can network it wirelessly ... tivo offer a program you can DL from their site for your computer.
________
WASHINGTON MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA
________
FIX PS3
________
The Cliff Condo
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 09-19-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
no your dont ... it works with basic cable too ... but for full benefits you would need digital cable to get the HD channels. You can network it wirelessly ... tivo offer a program you can DL from their site for your computer.
If I go the Tivo route, I'm thinking of getting the HD box, just so in a year or two it's not obsolete. Then again, I don't have an HD tv, so is it really worth it?

The wireless network sound good though, since my computer's a desktop and across the living room from my TV.
      12-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
If I go the Tivo route, I'm thinking of getting the HD box, just so in a year or two it's not obsolete. Then again, I don't have an HD tv, so is it really worth it?

The wireless network sound good though, since my computer's a desktop and across the living room from my TV.

Everything is going HD ... So I would get the HD Vivo and upgrade your Tv as your next purchase ... Costco has great deals on HDTVs
________
Vapir no2
________
PREGNANT HOMEMADE
________
WENDIE 99
________
WhiteStar
________
FIND HEADSHOP

Last edited by Vegas_Sirk; 09-19-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i hate cable and wont allow them in my house for many reasons, so i have a dish. the hd-dvr is pretty good.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
bfry
pig pa
Rep
Drives: 07 z4mc

tivo is hands down the better choice.
i have them both.
tivo is way better.
Appreciate 0