E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Insurance Claim Help

11-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Insurance Claim Help

So on Saturday night I was involved in my first accident. A truck ran a stop light and hit my car on the passenger side rear right around my gas tank door. It left a pretty good dent and scratches and also messed up my rear wheel as well as my front wheel (because i tried to regain control of my car and hit the curb). The police came and made a report and i called my insurance company the next day and they set up an appointment to meet with their adjuster on Thursday.

Anyone with experience on the matter have any suggestions to what to watch out for so I don't get some low ball offer. I know the insurance companies want to save as much money as possible so I'm sure they'll low ball the hell out of me. They already tried to recommend me to take my car to some body shop i've never heard of in my town and their other recommendation was to take it to the Ford dealership body shop. I would like to take my car to an authorized bmw collision center if possible and would also like to be compensated for my wheels as I would think it's not possible to order just a front and rear custom wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

if you're not at fault, you don't have to accept their offer. haggle!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

I'm not at fault. The other party already admitted to being at fault and the police said he was at fault also. What I don't get is, why am i meeting with my insurance company's adjustor? Shouldn't I be meeting with his insurance company's adjustor since they should be paying for all my expenses?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

When I had to deal with an accident, the auto body shop I deal with dealt with their insurance company and handled everything. Nobody can tell you that you have to bring it to a certain body shop. Ask other people from the regional forum you live in for a good body shop recommendation. Just make sure everything you agree to and want is in writing.
      11-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

your carrier may pay for damages and then subrogate..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

You have a two options with insurance.

1. Go through your insurance. You will have to pay your deductible up front. They will handle the repairs to your car and then go after the other parties insurance. When they get the money from the other insurance they will refund you your deductible. (sounds like where you are going right now)

2. Work directly with their insurance. They will handle all claim and your insurance will not be involved.

Regardless of which way you go the process is as follows:

The insurance company will send out their adjuster. The adjuster will inspect your car, take photos, and write up an estimate. They will go over the estimate with you at which point you will have a couple options. Most insurance companies have "preferred" shops that they work directly with. If you go with one of those you will just need to take your car there and inform them of the claim number and company. If you want to take the car to your own shop the insurance company will cut you a check (either on the spot or mail it to you).

I would strongly urge you to take the car to your own shop. Preferably one that is BMW certified (contact your local dealer to find one). It is your right to have your car repaired at the shop of your choice. If the shops estimate comes in higher than the adjusters (very likely), the shop will work directly with the insurance company to resolve the difference. You WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY.

Also, the insurance should provide you a rental car for while your car is in the shop. You may have a harder time with this going through your insurance though. Also, don't expect another BMW for your rental. They only need to compensate you for the loss of use. A Toyota Camery is just as useful as a BMW.

Bottom line is, you have the right to have your car repaired to the condition it was in before your loss. You also have the right to be provided a suitable replacement while yours is being fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
CliffJumper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
You have a two options with insurance.

1. Go through your insurance. You will have to pay your deductible up front. They will handle the repairs to your car and then go after the other parties insurance. When they get the money from the other insurance they will refund you your deductible. (sounds like where you are going right now)

2. Work directly with their insurance. They will handle all claim and your insurance will not be involved.

Regardless of which way you go the process is as follows:

The insurance company will send out their adjuster. The adjuster will inspect your car, take photos, and write up an estimate. They will go over the estimate with you at which point you will have a couple options. Most insurance companies have "preferred" shops that they work directly with. If you go with one of those you will just need to take your car there and inform them of the claim number and company. If you want to take the car to your own shop the insurance company will cut you a check (either on the spot or mail it to you).

I would strongly urge you to take the car to your own shop. Preferably one that is BMW certified (contact your local dealer to find one). It is your right to have your car repaired at the shop of your choice. If the shops estimate comes in higher than the adjusters (very likely), the shop will work directly with the insurance company to resolve the difference. You WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY.

Also, the insurance should provide you a rental car for while your car is in the shop. You may have a harder time with this going through your insurance though. Also, don't expect another BMW for your rental. They only need to compensate you for the loss of use. A Toyota Camery is just as useful as a BMW.

Bottom line is, you have the right to have your car repaired to the condition it was in before your loss. You also have the right to be provided a suitable replacement while yours is being fixed.
I've gone through this w/ my M3, and just wanted to +1 to everything JWZimm said.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Well i just got off the phone with the lady in charge of the investigation for my insurance company and she told me that since the traffic lights were flashing red for him and flashing yellow for me, it would be harder to prove who was at fault??? That makes absolutely no sense to me, because clearly if he has a flashing red, that's just as good as him having a red light or a stop sign and the police stated it was his fault and HE himself even admitted it was his fault. But anyway, she also said I would have to pay my deductible and then i would get a refund after they collect it back from his insurance company which also makes no sense to me. Why do i have to be inconvenienced to pay up $500, miss time from work to take my car to the nearest bmw collision center (50 miles away), and not to mention the gas money for all of this running around??? I think HIS insurance company should be making this as easy as possible for me since it was their client's fault, not mine but MY OWN insurance company seems like they are making this into a big hassle for me instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

That's simply the way it works as outlined by jwzimm. They'll handle everything and you'll get your deductible back once they collect.
As far as the gas and time, they'll simply tell you to use their local preferred shops then, if you want to use a shop of your own that's your perogative but also your time and effort in geting there and back.
You mentioned custom wheels, did you have them declared and can prove the value? All they legally have to do is return the vehicle to the declared state so if you do a bunch of custom mods, do not declare them to your insurance you will be out of luck and will need to go after the other party for the difference.
As far as who was at fault, the police report will be all you need, was the other driver cited? If so even more in your favor.
No need to stress, good thing you both were insured, that's becoming rare these days.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishBone33 View Post
Well i just got off the phone with the lady in charge of the investigation for my insurance company and she told me that since the traffic lights were flashing red for him and flashing yellow for me, it would be harder to prove who was at fault??? That makes absolutely no sense to me, because clearly if he has a flashing red, that's just as good as him having a red light or a stop sign and the police stated it was his fault and HE himself even admitted it was his fault. But anyway, she also said I would have to pay my deductible and then i would get a refund after they collect it back from his insurance company which also makes no sense to me. Why do i have to be inconvenienced to pay up $500, miss time from work to take my car to the nearest bmw collision center (50 miles away), and not to mention the gas money for all of this running around??? I think HIS insurance company should be making this as easy as possible for me since it was their client's fault, not mine but MY OWN insurance company seems like they are making this into a big hassle for me instead.
it's a sharky business (and a sharky world). but hey, nobody got hurt, your car will get fixed.

a while back, someone rear ended me (driving the parents' camry). it was considered a total loss. the other guy's insurance took care of everything, gave us a good deal too. around the same time, i knew someone who was not at fault, the other party straight lied and got away with it. it ended up going on his insurance.

anytime sh1t happens, you'll lose in time and stress. best thing to do is avoid/prevent. i hate driving nowadays. technically i don't own anything aside from my old m3 and the money in my lunchbox. and you'll be hard pressed to find me in any situation where there might be trouble.

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 11-05-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
CliffJumper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
... I think HIS insurance company should be making this as easy as possible for me since it was their client's fault, not mine but MY OWN insurance company seems like they are making this into a big hassle for me instead.

my insurance company actually recommended that I keep them out of it, and just deal w/ the other guy's company.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You should only speak to your adjustor. My agent told me before that if I received any phone calls to have them call her. She took care of everything for me. I will agree it is odd that you are being told to go to meetings and stuff with your adjustor, usually they just handle this over the phone... What insurance company do you have, if you don't mind me asking? It also sounds odd that your adjustor is giving you an odd version of the story and that it "may be hard to prove" it wasn't your fault too. Sounds like you may want to consider a better insurance company. When I was in an accident with my truck, everything was done over the phone. In fact, I only spoke to my adjustor over the phone and no one else.

As far as the deductible, you're pretty much SOL. If you want repairs now, you have to pay the deductible until the police report is 100% completed and filed and all insurance companies have access to it. Then, if everyone agrees it's not your fault, you'll get your deductible back. It's very rare that you can get the insurance to cover 100% of the damages without you paying a deductible right after the accident occurs. You can fight it, but from the sounds of your insurance company you will lose.

For what it's worth, when someone hit my car in the lot I went right to my insurance. Told them everything. They were willing to help, but at first they wanted me to pay the deductible. I said no way, it wasn't my fault. I had all the guys info and the police report was filed and almost completed. I pleaded with them to help and they finally did, but it took them a while (obviously, if the other guy had crap insurance it would take them a bit to get their money back). But it was also my first ever claim in almost 10 years.
      11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

i am amazed by the lack of insurance knowledge in this thread.

i am a P&C agent and i might start one of those "ask an insurance agent anything" thread.

NC is not a no fault state (i don't think). if you involve your carrier, which it looks like you have (which was not necessary), go get your car fixed and pay your deductible and quit crying. your insurance company WILL subrogate, and they will win. you will most likely get your deductible back.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
i am amazed by the lack of insurance knowledge in this thread.

i am a P&C agent and i might start one of those "ask an insurance agent anything" thread.

NC is not a no fault state (i don't think). if you involve your carrier, which it looks like you have (which was not necessary), go get your car fixed and pay your deductible and quit crying. your insurance company WILL subrogate, and they will win. you will most likely get your deductible back.
Please do.

I would say that with most people, insurance is one of those things they pay because they have to and don't think about it until they need to. If you have never had to use it before, obviously you wouldn't know all the in's and out's like you do (especially being in the business).
      11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Please do.

I would say that with most people, insurance is one of those things they pay because they have to and don't think about it until they need to. If you have never had to use it before, obviously you wouldn't know all the in's and out's like you do (especially being in the business).
i could go on for DAYS about the question i get asked most:

WHY do i need this? WHY are you selling this to me? WHY WHY WHY? in the end, i am thanked later. over and over

everyone things we are out to get money. we are, but we are in the business of pooling and protecting risks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
i could go on for DAYS about the question i get asked most:

WHY do i need this? WHY are you selling this to me? WHY WHY WHY? in the end, i am thanked later. over and over

everyone things we are out to get money. we are, but we are in the business of pooling and protecting risks.
I agree. One of those things you hate paying for because "you never need it." Then some guy speeds up the shoulder and clips your front bumper (speaking from experience here).
      11-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

Quote:
I agree. One of those things you hate paying for because "you never need it." Then some guy speeds up the shoulder and clips your front bumper (speaking from experience here).
its not that you never need it.. you always need it.

the law requires it, lenders require it, and b2b requires it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
its not that you never need it.. you always need it.

the law requires it, lenders require it, and b2b requires it.
Sorry, I meant to say "never use it."
      11-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to say "never use it."

the one point that really gets me going is that most people think insurance companies are around to steal your money and not pay claims.

heres the thing: you get what you pay for. i have no sympathy for those who purchased a named perils policy because they will never pay.

i only sell policies that cover any cause of loss unless specifically excluded.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I would check your state law, but I believe insurance companies can no longer tell you where you can get your car fixed, they can say how much they are willing to pay to get it fixed, since they use a standard scale and some insurance companies will allow non-OEM part or junk yard parts. But you can always argue against that especially if your car is in very good shape

Some of this does depend on your insurance company, If you have go insurance they may stand behind you and let you get it fix any where you like, and not dictate what kind of parts can be used. This is what I have so if someone hits me and their insurance is crap I would work through my company pay the deductible and let them deal with the other company. Now it the other company has the same type of coverage as mine then I work through them get it fix and not worry about paying the deductible.

Just recently, someone hit my car in parking lot the woman admitted fault. Her insurance call me, talk it over, they said I can go to any place I like to have the work done, just send them the estimate. Did so and they cut me a check and it was done with in a week. When back haggled a bit with the place and got the work done for less and had couple other items fixed at the same time. Now if the woman insurance gave me any crap I already arrange just to go through my insurance and let them deal with the hassle.

This is way it pays to go through a good insurance company, because of the nightmares you hear about are from these cheapo insurance companies who could care less about making sure you are happy. Also, if you have you own agent verse someone online this helps alot with dealing with the crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #21
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Well my insurance company is Nationwide. I called their 1-800 # to make my claim because I didn't know that I had the option of not involving my insurance company. Like i said, this is my first accident, I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I just assumed that your supposed to call your insurance company anytime your involved in an accident, whether its your fault or not. Even the police officer told me to contact my insurance company. I still haven't received any calls from my personal insurance agent. I don't even know if she knows that I was involved in an accident. The lady that did contact me was calling from another city about 2 hours away. The guy who hit me, had insurance through Liberty Mutual but he couldn't come up with any valid proof of insurance. He produced an insurance card but it was expired, and he tried to call his insurance company to speak to the officer to prove his insurance was valid but it was after hours on a weekend so no one was answering the call, so the police officer just typed up all his info and gave it to me and told me I was free to leave and he would stay with the guy until everything was figured out so I left. I don't know if he was given a ticket or not. Liberty Mutual has not contacted me either.

So, is it too late to stop the process of going through my insurance?

Should I go to my local Nationwide office and speak to my insurance agent since she hasn't contacted me at all?

When I go to meet with the adjustor, should I bring in estimates from other body shops so they don't try to low ball me?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #22
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Do not. do not .do not! give them a statement when they call you to record one.
What's the at fault insurance company?
Appreciate 0