E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Winter wheel debacle with my Insurance Company

12-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Winter wheel debacle with my Insurance Company

Guys,

I'm having issues with my insurance company and the installation of winter wheels.

When I switched from 19" MV4's to my 18" MV3 set-up I was advised that at an additional premium of £36 something had to be paid, as the change of wheel size and style was classed as a modification

I argued this and explained that BMW don't offer a 19" winter wheel and I was being penalised unfairly due to me actively trying to improve my safety and reduce my chances of an accident over the colder months. The insurance company have accepted this and have agreed to refund the additional collection under the proviso that; if I'm involved in an accident that the wheels are switched back to the original MV4's, which I accept.

However, what I don't want is; if any damage was done to my MV3 wheels (in the case of an accident) that I would be left with the bill and be effectively out of pocket as the said insurance company and not prepared to cover the MV3 wheels and replace or repair them

Am I being unreasonable, or am I well within my rights to think they are being a typical money grabbing so-and-so? What option do you think I have and has anybody else been in this predicament? I just want to gather as much info as possible before replying to them.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I'm with LV, I checked with them before buying wheels & tyres & that aftermarket wheels wouldn't be a problem - no problem & no charge!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

This nonsense was supposed to have stopped.

If you look here you'll see that wheels are an exception but I think your insurance company is just trying it on.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
I thought that was standard, that they wouldn't cover the 'modification' wheels but running them wouldn't invalidate your policy. I'm sure thats the terms Admiral apply to my insurance with winter wheels/tyres.

I'm not sure about your argument about 'having' to switch to 18"s... You could fit winter tyres to any 19" wheel if you wanted. I run 18" winters but really only because the winter tyres are a lot cheaper in that size and I don't care how it looks in the winter when its all dirty most of the time anyway......
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
This nonsense was supposed to have stopped.

If you look here you'll see that wheels are an exception but I think your insurance company is just trying it on.
Cheer for the link Rich. Quoted this in another email to them and they've finally yielded to my request (no premium to pay and the winter wheels are covered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
I thought that was standard, that they wouldn't cover the 'modification' wheels but running them wouldn't invalidate your policy. I'm sure thats the terms Admiral apply to my insurance with winter wheels/tyres.

I'm not sure about your argument about 'having' to switch to 18"s... You could fit winter tyres to any 19" wheel if you wanted. I run 18" winters but really only because the winter tyres are a lot cheaper in that size and I don't care how it looks in the winter when its all dirty most of the time anyway......
But then if you're involved in an accident, you're left with a set of ruined wheels/tyres and you have to switch them to the 19's before the Insurance company will settle. Add this to your excess and you could be well over a grand out of pocket... No thank you!

I accept, that winters can be fitted to 19's, but BMW don't sell this as an option and this is why I could use it to "add weight" to my argument. I too am happy to switch to 18's over winter to save on tyre costs and this is why I kept the MV3's from the previous car.
Appreciate 0